• Ides of March Open

Filed under History, Open thread at March 15th, 2017 - 8:53 am

…’The Ides of March are Come’…so said Caesar.

The Ides of March (Latin: Idus Martiae, Late Latin: Idus Martii)[1] is a day on the Roman calendar that corresponds to 15 March. It was marked by several religious observances and became notorious as the date of the assassination of Julius Caesar in 44 BC. The death of Caesar made the Ides of March a turning point in Roman history, as one of the events that marked the transition from the historical period known as the Roman Republic to the Roman Empire.[2]

Although March (Martius) was the third month of the Julian calendar, in the oldest Roman calendar it was the first month of the year. The holidays observed by the Romans from the first through the Ides often reflect their origin as new-year celebrations.[citation needed]

Comments

85 Responses to “Ides of March Open”

1. SciFiGuy
      1 | March 15, 2017 9:40 am

Sorry to open with an off topic post but going under the knife this Friday for a torn, off the bone, long bicep tendon and rotator cuff rebuild of the right arm and shoulder. Puts a serious damper on my bowling but in the long term I will be better for it. Going to be out of work for 3-4 weeks, so on a good note, I’ll be able to participate in more discussions on this board!!

2. 2 | March 15, 2017 10:58 am

@ SciFiGuy:

Good morning, you’ll be in our prayers.

3. Daffy Duck
      3 | March 15, 2017 11:13 am

Bah!, “What have the Romans ever done for us?”

4. Guggi
      4 | March 15, 2017 11:44 am

May I ask a serious question?

What exactly don’t you like on Ryan’s healthcare plan?

5. Daffy Duck
      5 | March 15, 2017 11:53 am

Guggi wrote:

May I ask a serious question?

What exactly don’t you like on Ryan’s healthcare plan?

I haven’t read the plan. I don’t need to.

I reject the premise that government needs to establish a healthcare plan. Ergo, doesn’t matter what’s in it, or not in it: I hate it.

The fact that the spineless “R”epublicans cannot just send up a repeal of ACA to Trump pisses me off. (They sent like 6 repeal bills to Obama – knowing he’d veto, so there’s got to be repeal bills ‘on the table,’ ready to go.)

This whole charade is just more political fuckery.

6. Guggi
      6 | March 15, 2017 12:02 pm

@ Daffy Duck:

Ok, this is a clear opinion 🙂 thx for the answer

7. 7 | March 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Daffy Duck wrote:

I reject the premise that government needs to establish a healthcare plan.

Exactly, America does not need a healthcare law/plan. What America needs, is a reform of the medical/insurance/legal industry.

America actually has the finest medical/healthcare industry on earth. Lawyers, Insurance lobbyists/Corporate CEO’s and corrupt politicians have tied the Medical/healthcare industry into literal knots in order to extort trillions of dollars for themselves from helpless Americans.

8 | March 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Guggi wrote:

May I ask a serious question?

What exactly don’t you like on Ryan’s healthcare plan?

It exists. The gov’t has no business regulating that market, it should be in the states.

Ryan keeps patting himself on the back for ‘following the process’ so that it can’t be filibustered (don’t ask) but that doesn’t do squat for people like me who are shelling out over $12k a year for premiums. I don’t give a flying fuck about his process I need affordable insurance. It doesn’t address portability, which is the option to buy across state lines. We keep hearing that all the good stuff will come in phase 2 or phase 3 because he can’t get that thru the Senate. What makes him thinks he’ll get them thru the Senate later rather than sooner, and besides, since when did the Senate become his job? THERE IS NEVER A PHASE 2 OR PHASE 3. NEVER. It’s called ‘kicking the can down the road’.

The bottom line is that we’re stuck with what we’ve got – which is Obamacare lite – and Ryan is saying ‘take it or leave it’

9. Guggi
      9 | March 15, 2017 12:32 pm

A typical eagle answer 😛 clear and without mincing words

10. Deplorable Idapig
      10 | March 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Daffy Duck wrote:

I reject the premise that government needs to establish a healthcare plan.

Exactly! There is two things Congress can (and should) do is to repeal ACA in its entirety and to undo the law which prohibits health insurance from selling their product (coverage) across state lines.

These two things MUST come out of Congress because Congress is who set those Federal Laws in the first place.

The last thing they could do but could also be done at the state level is capping tort payouts.

11. 11 | March 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Tomorrow is the anniversary of St Pancake’s ‘martyrdom’.

12. 12 | March 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Shit… Just received this email.

Greetings from CancerCare. We’re contacting you to ask for your help with a project. We’re trying to better understand the experiences of patients with a variety of cancer types from different age groups. We ask that you spend an hour answering some questions, in a moderated group telephone discussion with 3 or 4 other participants. We will ask only for your first name and all information you provide will be anonymous.

Addressed to my brother.

My response…

Sorry to inform you, Cliff Walker died from stage 4 lung cancer on 2/06/2017. He is unable to participate in your survey.

13 | March 15, 2017 12:44 pm

@ Guggi:

😉

I have to run, but before I go, I thought I’d point something out about the Trump tax return fiasco last nite.

Maddow ‘teased’ them for the first 30 minutes of her show. The only clue she gave was that the document was from 2005.

TWO MINUTES before ‘the great reveal’ THE WHITE HOUSE shows up with the exact 2 pages Maddow is about to show and basically scoops her.

How did the White House know what pages she was going to use?

gotta run, later.

14. Deplorable Idapig
      14 | March 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Sorry about that, Dorian. You’ve been through this before (I’m sorry for that too) and unfortunately you’ll be getting these reminders of your brother for at least the next year or so.

Just hang in there. It won’t get better, but it’ll get easier with time.

I know it sucks to hear that, but time is the only thing I know of that eases that pain.

You’re in my prayers.

15. 15 | March 15, 2017 1:05 pm

How did the White House know what pages she was going to use?

Heh heh heh… Good question. Did Trump just trick MSLSD into committing a Class D Felony?

16 | March 15, 2017 1:24 pm

yeah, but I think that was just the icing. The cake is: They just found a leaker. That was a baited trap.

17. 17 | March 15, 2017 1:39 pm

Yup, and MSLSD just handed the Trump Administration said leaker on a solid Gold platter while trying to save their own sorry asses.

18. SciFiGuy
      18 | March 15, 2017 2:01 pm

CRAP!!, back from the surgeons office from the pre-surgery briefing. Looks like I tore two tendons. When I do something I do it right. Tore the outer rotater cuff tendon and the long bicep tendon off the bone. out of work minimum of 6 weeks. with limited use for 12-14 weeks. BUMMER. But it has to be done if I want any further sports in my future…..

19. SciFiGuy
      19 | March 15, 2017 2:02 pm

Daffy Duck wrote:

Bah!, “What have the Romans ever done for us?

AHH Hello, Numerals and cussing in latin.

20 | March 15, 2017 2:05 pm

@ SciFiGuy:

how in god’s name did you manage this? Sports? How about normal movement? I broke an elbow a few years ago and it’s never been the same. How much pain are you in?

21 | March 15, 2017 2:09 pm

well
      got the girl started on her high school path this morning

it’s AP honors classes… all the way down

22. 22 | March 15, 2017 2:36 pm

well
      got the girl started on her high school path this morning

it’s AP honors classes… all the way down

Life sure comes at you fast don’t it…

23 | March 15, 2017 2:44 pm

well, that should keep her out of trouble……..

24. 24 | March 15, 2017 2:55 pm

@ Daffy Duck:
      Everywhere I look I see claims that millions of people will die in the streets without Obamacare. We must have coverage for catastrophic illness, preventive care, all with little to no out of pocket cost.

25 | March 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Holy Cannoli, Batman. From Buzzfeed, no less.

This is the anatomy of a document hoax that Buzzfeed was almost caught up in. This is the story, how it happened, and how they busted it. The eye opener for me was the name of one of the perps. Brett Kimberlin. I thought the SOB had to still be in jail. He was convicted of setting off bombs (and he’s suspected in at least one murder) and has threatened people from jail. Bad hombre as Trump would say.

It’s a fascinating cautionary tale. You should read it.

26. SciFiGuy
      26 | March 15, 2017 3:10 pm

@ SciFiGuy:

3 Loritab 10/500 a day does the trick as far as pain. Able to function fairly normal believe or not. just cant lift over 10 -15 lbs with right arm It doesnt like that at all.

I tore the rotator cuff one helping a friend with his van replacing the front end. The bicep tendon I did 2 days later attempting to bowl. Changed my delivery a little to alleviate the shoulder pain and I guess the angles put additional stress on the bicep tendon and ripped it right off the bone. Doc says fairly common (70%) where there is one , both are messed up.

27 | March 15, 2017 3:13 pm

@ SciFiGuy:

so..congratulations..or something.

I have to go fetch the heathen. The wind here is unreal, I think the wind chill is something like 15 F. I don’t think my girls spent much time outside today.

28 | March 15, 2017 3:16 pm

oh no, BK the pedo bomber is still active
      hogewash is involved with keeping up with his daily court stuff

29. Guggi
      29 | March 15, 2017 3:30 pm

ow did the White House know what pages she was going to use?

reverse leaking? 🙂

30. Deplorable Idapig
      30 | March 15, 2017 3:39 pm

@ Daffy Duck:

I disagree with this. Catastrophic – yes. Preventative (or basic maintenance) – no! We need to start looking at this the way we look at our car or home insurance. Basic maintenance is our normal out of pocket expense. What insurance is needed for is that catastrophe we all hope will never happen but we have insurance for “just in case.”

31 | March 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Ahhh the Ides of March. The 30th. re-Birthday of the NZ Intelligence Corps. I was there at the birth. It was a long gestation with many rocky moments but we arrived at the destination eventually. We all sat there in shock and said to one another … OK the bastards have called our bluff. We’re going to have to actually do something now. Don’t tell them what we have planned because it’ll scare the General Staff shitless. By the time they realise what they have it’ll be too late to form another committee to ‘study the problem’.

Better to seek forgiveness than seek permission.

We gave the generals what they needed rather than what they thought they wanted.

A loyal toast …….. Gentlemen The Queen (Our Commander in Chief …to all you Yanks)

Toast to the Corps. (God bless her and all who sail in her) 🙂

Toast to the Enemy. Without whom we’d all be out of work

Our ‘instant traditions’ in those far off halcyon days including:

Wearing red ties with out ‘mess kit’
      Toasting not with port but only with Vodka
      Giving the Corps award (A Secret Squirrel dressed in trilby and trench coat to the best NCO.)

I attended the NZIC 30th Birthday Cocktail Party last night. There was a great turnout from the Corps and we had representatives from the Five Eyes intelligence community attend as well. The Corps got four more Young Officers from the last OCS graduating class with 13 out of 31 cadets putting NZIC as their first preference. An NZIC Cpl has also just won the Queens Medal for shooting at Waiouru. I had a chat to him and what a fine young man and great advert for the Corps. Four members of the Corps were also presented with their Marksman Badges by DCA. Our young soldiers and officers are not only bright but they can shoot as well!

Happy Birthday to the NZ Intelligence Corps

32. Daffy Duck
      32 | March 15, 2017 4:16 pm

SciFiGuy wrote:

Daffy Duck wrote:

Bah!, “What have the Romans ever done for us?

AHH Hello, Numerals and cussing in latin.

I was going for the Monty Python / Life of Brian reference, but, alas…

33 | March 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Guggi wrote:

ow did the White House know what pages she was going to use?

reverse leaking?

even better. they baited a trap to see what would get leaked to whom. The only way they could have known exactly what pages she had is if they had provided them – somehow. Now that they know what trap was tripped, they have at least one leaker identified.

This is a classic counter-intelligence move. Plant different stories and see where they show up.

Our NZ Intelligence birthday boys can tell you that. Happy birthday Aussie!

The CLIENT COPY stamp is a dead give away that it’s not the IRS copy. The copies we have of our returns provided by our accountant have the identical stamp. It’s the norm.

The only question I still have is – how the hell did MSNBC fall for that? The only answer I can come up with – when people really want to believe something, they don’t need much. I think it’s called confirmation bias or something.

I think a house just flew by my window. The wind is phenomenal

34 | March 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Better to seek forgiveness than seek permission.

Grace Murray Hopper, one of the few women I actually admire for overcoming real obstacles faced as a woman, always told us “better to apologize later than ask permission first”.

I doubt the woman did either one. Ever.

35 | March 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Greetings and salutations. Jorge Ramos was awarded the Walter Cronkite Award for being a douche.
      Well then, Rachel Maddow stepped up last night, and that performance should get her some kind of award.

36. 36 | March 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Ah yes, I saw the Documentary on that.

37. Deplorable Idapig
      37 | March 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Daffy Duck wrote:

SciFiGuy wrote:

Daffy Duck wrote:

Bah!, “What have the Romans ever done for us?

AHH Hello, Numerals and cussing in latin.

I was going for the Monty Python / Life of Brian reference, but, alas…

Oh, I got that right away!

I be old!

38 | March 15, 2017 4:48 pm

A very close approximation of last evening.

39 | March 15, 2017 4:49 pm

Except they had forgotten to wear their red ties.

40. 40 | March 15, 2017 4:50 pm

Except they had forgotten to wear their red ties.

Bruce was in charge of the red ties, he was distracted by new Bruce.

41. 41 | March 15, 2017 5:30 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:
      Exactly! Someone even used the argument that you can buy insurance for appliances as a reason this is the responsibility of Uncle Sam.

42. 42 | March 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Is your name not Bruce then? That’s going to get confusing.

43 | March 15, 2017 5:34 pm

ok, someone needs to take johnny mac by the hand and take him somewhere so he doesn’t hurt himself

44 | March 15, 2017 5:59 pm

SciFiGuy wrote:

that is a bastard of a rehab assignment. good luck and listen to your doctors and nurses…they know more about this stuff than you do!

45. Deplorable Idapig
      45 | March 15, 2017 6:01 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

Buying a service warranty is not insurance and it’s voluntary. Uncle Sam made having health insurance mandatory. I hate anything that is compulsory!

46. Deplorable Idapig
      46 | March 15, 2017 6:02 pm

I blame the entire state of Arizona for this! Every time they have a chance to get rid of him they don’t and then bitch about him afterwards!

47 | March 15, 2017 6:05 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

damn straight

48. Deplorable Idapig
      48 | March 15, 2017 6:05 pm

SciFiGuy wrote:

Read further! He’s more messed up than they originally thought and he’s looking at a loooonnnggg recovery period.

Seriously, SciFiGuy, you are definitely in my prayers!

49 | March 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Happy Birthday to the NZ Intelligence Corps

3 cheers!

50 | March 15, 2017 6:08 pm

MCCain is quite the smear merchant. He should be careful, there is a lot to dredge up about him.

51 | March 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Daffy Duck wrote:

SciFiGuy wrote:

Daffy Duck wrote:

Bah!, “What have the Romans ever done for us?

AHH Hello, Numerals and cussing in latin.

I was going for the Monty Python / Life of Brian reference, but, alas…

the conjugation of latin in the romans go home scene is my single favorite of all time. i’ve taken latin, frnch, german, and russian, and every time…as soon as the conjugation starts, 🙂

52 | March 15, 2017 6:11 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

gonna be a serious real bastard of a recovery now.

53 | March 15, 2017 6:12 pm

see my #21

you know your kids are for real growing up when you start facing high school

54 | March 15, 2017 6:14 pm

salt mines…later yinz

55. 55 | March 15, 2017 6:20 pm

salt mines…later yinz

Bah… you don’t work in no salt mine…. More of a lager with good food mine.

56. 56 | March 15, 2017 7:12 pm

A bit of ‘Holy Grail’ trivia for you.

‘Tim the Enchanter’ was supposed to have a name something like the name of the knights who used to say ‘Ni’. But Cleese forgot his line and they stuck with ‘There are those who call me….Tim?’

58 | March 15, 2017 8:06 pm

Sorry, but that’s a load of crap.

There’s not a single mention of the words “Muslim” or “Islam” in that order. It applies to countries, not religions.

58. 59 | March 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Yes, but since Trump mentioned Muslims during the campaign it’s obviously targeted at Muslims. Muslim countries not affected are where the evil Trump has business interests.

///

59. Deplorable Idapig
      60 | March 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Geert Wilders defeated in Netherlands. So they chose suicide.

60. Deplorable Idapig
      61 | March 15, 2017 8:41 pm

@ Twitchy
      More out of control judicial activism.

Oh, so now judges are using campaign speeches as proof of INTENT???

Impeach the bastard!

61. Deplorable Idapig
      62 | March 15, 2017 8:56 pm

@ Twitchy
      More out of control judicial activism.

Judge Derrick K. Watson of Hawaii is the dirtbag who did this.

I have an idea. Ship every moslem to Hawaii and then let Hawaii secede. Problem solved and moslems effectively isolated! And if the Hawaiians want them gone they have a volcano to feed them to.

63 | March 15, 2017 9:10 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

small problem w/the Pearl Harbor thing tho. We kinda need it

64 | March 15, 2017 9:19 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

small problem w/the Pearl Harbor thing tho. We kinda need it

It’s convenient, but not critical. We have airplanes now

66 | March 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Saudi Deputy Crown Praises Trump’s ‘Great Understanding’ Of Muslim World After Meeting, Supports Travel Ban

Damn Islamophobic Saudis…

I think they’ve learned how to spell ‘fracking’ in Arabic. Next thing we’ll hear is that it’s in the Koran somewhere

65. Deplorable Idapig
      67 | March 15, 2017 9:39 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

small problem w/the Pearl Harbor thing tho. We kinda need it

It’s convenient, but not critical. We have airplanes now

And aircraft carriers.

66. Deplorable Idapig
      68 | March 15, 2017 9:41 pm

Damn Islamophobic Saudis…

Oh they’re going to suck up nicely now since we’ve been discovering all these huge oilfields within the US.

69 | March 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Well a 9th circuit judge has just approved Trump’s ban.

Mar 15, 9:48 PM EDT

The Latest: Judge: Trump has power to ban foreign travelers
      AP Photo
      AP Photo/Marco Garcia

The Latest on legal challenges to the Trump administration’s revised travel ban (all times Pacific unless noted):

6:30 p.m.

A federal appeals court judge says President Donald Trump has the authority to block foreign travelers and courts must defer to the president’s judgment in decisions about who should be allowed in the United States.

Judge Jay Bybee of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said in court documents filed Wednesday that his appeals court colleagues were wrong when they refused to immediately reinstate Trump’s original travel ban.

The Trump administration later revised the ban. A federal judge in Hawaii blocked that version on Wednesday. Bybee is a nominee of President George W. Bush.

Bybee says judges cannot investigate the president’s motive for the ban as along as he provides a bona fide and legitimate reason for it. Bybee says the president had done that.

68. Deplorable Idapig
      71 | March 15, 2017 10:57 pm

Well a 9th circuit judge has just approved Trump’s ban.

Mar 15, 9:48 PM EDT

The Latest: Judge: Trump has power to ban foreign travelers
      AP Photo
      AP Photo/Marco Garcia

6:30 p.m.

I think the Ninth is askeered of talk to disband them or considerably limit the scope of their power after the first ban was overturned.

69. 72 | March 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

The Ninth Circus should be disbanded and the InJustices thrown in prison for their Unconstitutional usurping of power.

73 | March 15, 2017 11:10 pm

I think a house just flew by my window. The wind is phenomenal

… as long as it wasn’t an old lady on a bicycle, you’re golden

71. Deplorable Idapig
      74 | March 15, 2017 11:13 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

I happen to agree with that but Congress has shown no stomach for that, even though they have that power, throughout our entire history!

Limiting the scope of the damage they can cause is more their style. Which is why that particular threat is real.

75 | March 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

I hate anything that is compulsory!

It’s funny, I was always told it was the teen years that were the rebellious years. I was quite compliant as a teenager for the most part. I find the older I have become, the less compliant and more rebellious I have become to people trying to tell me what to do.

76 | March 15, 2017 11:16 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

I blame the entire state of Arizona for this!

Not all of us are supporters. We have tried to primary him — the SOB is absolutely vile and brutal in primaries. Personal attacks by his surrogates is totally OK with him. … and believe me, you didn’t want Ann Kirkpatrick up there giving Schumer another vote.

77 | March 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Veal Parmesan and a Mediterranean Pasta Salad.

Looks good. Yeah, I’d eat that.

75. 78 | March 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Veal Parmesan and a Mediterranean Pasta Salad.

Looks good. Yeah, I’d eat that.

It tastes even better than it looks. I am sooo going to end up weighing 600 pounds… ROTFLMAO…

76. Deplorable Idapig
      79 | March 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

I blame the entire state of Arizona for this!

I know, and I actually thought of you when I wrote that, knowing there was you and people like you who didn’t vote for the bastard.

At this point, I think the only thing that will save you (and us) is his death.

77. Deplorable Idapig
      80 | March 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

I hate anything that is compulsory!

You’ve pretty described me, as well. When you’re a kid you just want to get out from under your parents thumb. But the older you get and the more you know, the more you find you’re under everybody’s thumb and it really rankles! Government coercion has to be the worst! Especially when you know they are supposed to be our employees. We aren’t supposed to be their slaves.

81 | March 16, 2017 9:43 am

hey guess what? you know that judge in Hawaii who shut down Trump’s travel ban the other day? He issued his opinion only 2 hrs after the case reached his desk.

All 43 pages of it

[via Chris Plante]

79. Deplorable Idapig
      82 | March 16, 2017 11:27 am

All 43 pages of it

[via Chris Plante]

LOVE Chris Plante! He really should have a national show!

80. Guggi
      83 | March 16, 2017 2:50 pm

New details released on Russia-related payments to Flynn before he joined Trump campaign

Michael Flynn, who was forced to resign as national security adviser amid controversy over his contacts with Russia’s ambassador, collected nearly $68,000 in fees and expenses from Russia-related entities in 2015, a higher amount than was previously known, according to newly released documents.

WaPo

81. Guggi
      84 | March 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Three Republicans vote no as House Budget Committee advances GOP health-care bill

The quick action will be followed by a longer debate on how to propose amending the bill before it reaches the House floor, perhaps as early as next week. Before that stage, the bill will head to the Rules Committee, where such changes could take place.

WaPo

85 | March 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

All 43 pages of it

[via Chris Plante]

LOVE Chris Plante! He really should have a national show!

He does, I had an appointment this morning and heard him here in Tucson — that exact subject. It depends on what your local radio stations program.