• Saturday Lecture, Digitized Atomic Tests

Filed under History, Open thread, saturday lecture series at March 18th, 2017 - 6:00 am

The Archiving is finished

…Greg Spriggs, a weapon physicist and the project lead, notes that the film canisters were already starting to smell of vinegar — one of the byproducts of film decomposition.

Spriggs and his team started digitizing the films using special scanners that move the film without gripping it by the holes in the edges. But as they watched the old films, they noticed something: The nuclear yield data based on the images was wrong.

These aren’t just any old government movies: They are scientific documents that are key to understanding nuclear power. And even though the films are very old, scientists don’t get access to these sorts of nuclear tests anymore. Atmospheric nuclear tests have been banned since 1963.

Today, nuclear physicists run virtual nuclear tests on supercomputers. But those tests are based in part in research in the old films. And, unsurprisingly, there are better methods of measurement today.

So Spriggs and his team set about reanalyzing all of the old films, using new techniques. The indicators remain the same, in some ways: The double flash of light, the fireball and the shock wave captured on film all provide significant information for researchers on the energy generated by the nuclear blast. But today’s new tools offer greater precision.

For instance, the size, speed and duration of the fireball created can be used to estimate the weapon’s yield. The old methods involved analysts studying the film, advancing it frame by frame to see where the edge of the fireball seemed to be, and measuring its radius. This created plenty of room for human error, and, indeed, the yield numbers generated by this method produced inconsistent results.

But the newly digitized films allow researchers to more clearly see the fireball’s edge, allowing for much more accurate yield estimates. “We were finding that some of these answers were off by 20, maybe 30, percent,” says Spriggs. “One of the payoffs of this project is that we’re now getting very consistent answers. We’ve also discovered new things about these detonations that have never been seen before. New correlations are now being used by the nuclear forensics community, for example.”…

Comments

167 Responses to “Saturday Lecture, Digitized Atomic Tests”

1 | March 18, 2017 6:28 am

“I like big booms and I cannot lie”

Sir mix-a-lot

2. 2 | March 18, 2017 11:30 am

Reading the comments for that video, is almost enough to make you wish we had blown ourselves to hell back in the 1960’s.

4. 4 | March 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Destination Earth

The Martians are coming to steal our Petroleum. Now we know where Obama was really born.

5 | March 18, 2017 2:15 pm

1956!!

Oh my, the more things change….

And this comment from 2016

historically important animation. of course oil company/us imperialist propaganda

lol yerself sparky

Nov 2015:

USGS Announces Largest Oil And Gas Deposit Ever Assessed In U.S

6 | March 18, 2017 2:15 pm

*sigh* I really need to pay more attention to those html thingies….

7 | March 18, 2017 3:03 pm

@ Twitchy
      Bernie Chastizes Wealth Worshioing Americans. Bernie never collected a paycheck literally until he was 40
      years old. But he owns THREE homes on a public servants income, the Summer home alone worth $600,000.

8. Deplorable Idapig
      8 | March 18, 2017 3:10 pm

1956!!

Oh my, the more things change….

And this comment from 2016

laissez faire exploitation frees all, lol. of course most of us are just like martians at the beginning: human capital for OUR MASTERS of the corporate elite. i wonder if those cute little martians are running out of their “black gold” like we are , lol ? l

lol yerself sparky

Nov 2015:

USGS Announces Largest Oil And Gas Deposit Ever Assessed In U.S

Liberals never let little things like facts to come between them and their narrative!

9. Deplorable Idapig
      9 | March 18, 2017 3:14 pm

@ Twitchy

Americans don’t worship wealth! Most of us just want to live a comfortable lifestyle – which doesn’t require “wealth” to obtain!

One thing about liberals that pisses me off is that a LOT of us give tithes to our local church and then we go out with those tithes to help the poor in our communities. Liberals goes after our money, in the form of taxes on top of taxes, which limits our ability to tithe and give to the poor. Several cities have even made it a crime to feed the poor. What’s up with that!?

10. 10 | March 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Nov 2015:

USGS Announces Largest Oil And Gas Deposit Ever Assessed In U.S

Not the even remotely the largest. The largest is the Green River Valley formation, with an estimated 5 TRILLION barrels, and just over 2 Trillion recoverable barrels using technology available 10 years ago.

98% of the Green River Valley formation is controlled by the US Department of the Interior and no exploration or extraction is allowed.

11. Deplorable Idapig
      11 | March 18, 2017 4:08 pm

Nov 2015:

USGS Announces Largest Oil And Gas Deposit Ever Assessed In U.S

Hopefully, that might change!

12. Deplorable Idapig
      12 | March 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Watching the weather and it seems all hell is breaking loose on the East Coast. Hope all of you affected are home snug and safe! Prayers that you also keep your power!

13 | March 18, 2017 4:34 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:
      Consrvatives traditionally give more to Charity. Libs on the other hand are charitable with your money.
      The biblical admonition to be charitable never meant public funds.

14. 14 | March 18, 2017 4:48 pm

Libs on the other hand are charitable with your money.

It is a mistake to think that Libs are charitable with your money. They are not. What they do is and can in no way be described as charity. What it is, is a public display of their power. A public display of their ability to force everyone to do what they want them to.

This is not charity, it is a public demonstration of their ability to oppress. We will take from you what we want, and we will do with that which we have taken as we see fit whether you like it or not.

15. 15 | March 18, 2017 6:16 pm

SON OF A BITCH! My Dad was in ALL 35!

16 | March 18, 2017 6:50 pm

chuck berry passed today

17 | March 18, 2017 7:56 pm

Chuck Berry has died at 90 years old.
      RIP

18 | March 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Libs on the other hand are charitable with your money.

Yeah, it is a power play, under the guise of charity

19 | March 18, 2017 8:40 pm

These 6-day 60 hour weeks are getting old.

Hi everyone.

20 | March 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Hey, sorry to hear about your predicament. That really sucks.

21. Canoe Convoy
      21 | March 18, 2017 8:56 pm

We came really, really close to doing just that in 1983. Able Archer 1983

See also: Able Archer 83: The Secret History of the exercise that almost triggered nuclear war.

22. Canoe Convoy
      22 | March 18, 2017 8:58 pm

“No boom today ? Boom! Tomorrow! There’s always a ‘boom!’ tomorrow !” — Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

23. Deplorable Idapig
      23 | March 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Libs on the other hand are charitable with your money.

That’s true. I remember it starting sometime in the 80’s in places like New York where churches would feed the poor and give them a sermon. The homeless didn’t care about the sermon, they wanted the food and knew that was the price they had to pay. The do-gooders decided that was coercion and forced them to stop.

Skip ahead several decades later and it is now illegal to feed the poor and they use our tax dollars to feed, clothe and house illegals and to give sex-change operations to convicted felons in prison!

24. Deplorable Idapig
      24 | March 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Canoe Convoy wrote:

I remember that show! It was great! Had a beginning, middle and ending!

25 | March 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Number 1seed out of the Tournamnt, taken down Bu Bucky Badger (Wisconsin)!

26. 26 | March 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Hey, sorry to hear about your predicament. That really sucks.

At the moment, I am pretty seriously fucked. I will try to find a way out of this. But it doesn’t look good.

27. Deplorable Idapig
      27 | March 18, 2017 9:23 pm

Hey, sorry to hear about your predicament. That really sucks.

I would still challenge it and get an independent test done! The hair follicle test sounds like your best bet!

28 | March 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Was it an employer or an agency paying for the test?

Do you know how extensive the test was and which panel failed, or did they just say “you failed”?

Because I think you have some rights here.

29. 29 | March 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

I would still challenge it and get an independent test done!

That is the plan, there is a LabCorp right across the street from me (how convenient eh?) I’ll have the test done and try to challenge the saliva test.

30 | March 18, 2017 9:47 pm

A SALIVA TEST?!?!

WTF?

31 | March 18, 2017 9:50 pm

I mean, what if you were around, say, weed being vaped?

If you inhale a trace, does it stick? Does anyone know?

That sounds sketchy as hell. It sounds like somebody’s too cheap to pay for a urine test.

32 | March 18, 2017 10:05 pm

the saliva test.

yougottabefuckingkiddingme

33. 33 | March 18, 2017 10:12 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:
      I was disappointed in the end of Season 4 and most of 5, just because they’d been told the show was canceled. After they crammed Season 5 into about half of 4, they got a reprieve and nad to toss something together for the last Season.

34. Deplorable Idapig
      34 | March 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

I would still challenge it and get an independent test done!

Wait…What?!!! Saliva?!!? Drug tests are whizzing in a cup not saliva!

You sure they weren’t taking your DNA for something else?

35. Deplorable Idapig
      35 | March 18, 2017 10:24 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

That’s not how I remember it. It was always supposed to be a 5 year show. What crapped it up is when they ended it and then tried to drag it out for a season 6. It was just awful!

36. Deplorable Idapig
      36 | March 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

I would still challenge it and get an independent test done!

Wait…What?!!! Saliva?!!? Drug tests are whizzing in a cup not saliva!

You sure they weren’t taking your DNA for something else?

I would demand a urine test. And go further and do the hair follicle. That shows months of history with no drugs in your system!

37. Deplorable Idapig
      37 | March 18, 2017 10:33 pm

I mean, what if you were around, say, weed being vaped?

If you inhale a trace, does it stick? Does anyone know?

You know, I think he’s down in the LA area. I remember being down there and the news said their was so much pot growing down there it was in their pollen count. Which tells me you could inhale the pollen and come up positive on a rinky-dink saliva test just for inhaling AIR!

38. 38 | March 18, 2017 10:34 pm

the saliva test.

yougottabefuckingkiddingme

They have been fucking with me since day one. The company wanted me, I was not brought in through Eastridge. There is some weapons grade resentment going on here. Plus a potential loss of money for them.

After I get the results from LabCorp, if Eastridge doesn’t accept them and get me my job, I don’t know what I will do. I am hoping Deplorable Barbarian like a good pro bono fight.

39. 39 | March 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

You know, I think he’s down in the LA area.

San Diego, and I failed for amphetamines not pot. And no. I do not use anything. Ok, let me amend that, ciggs, coffee, beer and aspirin .

40. 40 | March 18, 2017 10:41 pm

I do cook with a lot of spices, but I have never heard of any of them causing a false positive. so I am very confused, angry and depressed.

41 | March 18, 2017 10:47 pm

I think a saliva swab is an awful test for recreational drugs, but what do I know?

“Piss test.”

That’s what we’ve called it at my last five jobs. And nobody asked me to open wide…

42 | March 18, 2017 10:51 pm

You have every right to be angry, but know that there are rules to protect you.

I know that’s little solace in the short term, and that these words I’m typing really don’t mean sh*t, but you’ll be vindicated.

I hate to harp, but I still can’t believe that a saliva swab is evidence of drug abuse.

43 | March 18, 2017 10:54 pm

I think a saliva swab is an awful test for recreational drugs,

anywhere between 5-14% false positive. The thing with saliva tests is that they’re fast, inexpensive and drugs show up faster in your saliva than in hair or urine.

44 | March 18, 2017 10:58 pm

fast, inexpensive

Ding!

10% average inaccuracy??

That’s 1 in 10 and an employer/employment agency is using them??

45 | March 18, 2017 10:59 pm

drug test types and time lapse periods

46 | March 18, 2017 11:02 pm

That’s 1 in 10 and an employer/employment agency is using them??

srsly. If I, as an employer, chose to use that test – which I might – and got a positive – I would automatically turn around and do another one.

47 | March 18, 2017 11:08 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

You know, I think he’s down in the LA area.

Any sinus meds? Only thing I can think of that might have some likeness.

48. 48 | March 18, 2017 11:16 pm

That’s 1 in 10 and an employer/employment agency is using them??

They did two in a row, both came up positive.

49. 49 | March 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Any sinus meds? Only thing I can think of that might have some likeness.

No, nothing other than aspirin.

50. 50 | March 18, 2017 11:24 pm

On the positive side, if things don’t improve soon, the stress is going to kill me even before I lose my apartment.

51. Deplorable Idapig
      51 | March 18, 2017 11:25 pm

That’s why we were all asking about poppy seeds. But that would have you test positive for opiates.

Sounds to me like your test was contaminated. Period! If you know you’ve had no contact with amphetamines I’d demand a retest.

52 | March 18, 2017 11:25 pm

ask for a hair test. If you need money to pay for it, I will cover it

53 | March 18, 2017 11:31 pm

achmy eyes are closing. seeyinz tomorrow

54 | March 18, 2017 11:45 pm

Nah. You’ve got my luck.

😉

Hang in there, brother. People care.

55. 55 | March 18, 2017 11:54 pm

Hang in there, brother. People care.

Make no mistake about this. I know that people care, but all of our care did not stop Iron Fist from shuffling off this mortal coil long long before any of us were willing to see it happen. It’s nice to know that people care, but what will happen, will happen regardless of how much any of us care.

56 | March 19, 2017 12:08 am

Noted.

And still I care.

57 | March 19, 2017 12:12 am

They did two in a row, both came up positive.

They did two in a row? That quickly? Do they do the assessment on site? Something is seriously wrong if so, the tests are usually done by an independent lab.

58. 58 | March 19, 2017 12:45 am

They did two in a row, both came up positive.

I suspect they are scheming to get rid of me because they are not making any money by placing me.

59. 59 | March 19, 2017 6:53 am

@ Deplorable Idapig:
      I don’t think they tried 6 years. You’re right that it was supposed to be a 5 year arc, but I think the studio initially killed the 5th season.

There was at least one other related series, Crusade, that came after, plus the TV movies.

Either way though, it was a hell of a series.

60 | March 19, 2017 8:32 am

saliva tests are useless.

hire a lawyer after you get a real hair or piss test back.

then sue their asses!

61. 61 | March 19, 2017 11:35 am

saliva tests are useless.

hire a lawyer after you get a real hair or piss test back.

then sue their asses!

The retest I can afford, the lawyer, that’s going to be tricky.

62. 62 | March 19, 2017 12:01 pm

For Aussie Infidel, man you Aussie’s impress me with the way you write.

Populist challenge provokes an almighty tantrum from leftists

Brendan O’Neill
      Columnist

Has there ever been a tantrum as tinny and irritating as the one thrown by the chattering classes in response to Brexit and Donald Trump? It’s the mother of all meltdowns. The huff heard round the world. A hissy fit of historic proportions.

Children who don’t get their way normally foot-stomp and wail “I hate you” for three or four minutes before collapsing into a knackered heap. The liberal elite has been at it for nine months, ever since Brexit last June pricked the sealed, self-satisfied bubble they live in and reminded them that — brace yourself — there are people out there who think differently.

Brexit and Trump signal the demise of Western liberal civilisation, they sob. Fascism is staggering back to life, they cry. “Boy does this age remind me of the 1930s,” said British politician and historical illiterate Paddy Ashdown about Brexit.

Russia planted Trump in the White House, they yelp, like neo-McCarthyists convinced the Kremlin has commandeered Washington with an evil eye for steering it towards destruction.

Their arguments grow more unhinged every day. Their contempt for ordinary voters intensifies. Their toddler-like search for some evil thing to blame their political troubles on gathers pace.

What we’re witnessing is the rage of the entitled, the fury of a technocratic elite that had come to see itself as the rightful, most expert overseer of politics. They really cannot believe that everyday people, millions of the idiots, have had the brass neck to say: “We don’t like how you do politics. We’re going to try a different approach.”

As with all tantrum throwers, their first instinct is to deflect blame from themselves. “I didn’t do it!” is the cry of the child who did do it, and so it is with the melting old oligarchy.

63. Deplorable Idapig
      63 | March 19, 2017 12:25 pm

For Aussie Infidel, man you Aussie’s impress me with the way you write.

Populist challenge provokes an almighty tantrum from leftists

Brendan O’Neill
      Columnist

GREAT article! I just wish we had people here (outside Breitbart, et al) who would make a similar observation for our masses to see!

Our people may not like or believe the media anymore, but they still watch it and are being bombarded with doom and gloom every night. It’s making them second guess themselves on their vote last November.

64. 64 | March 19, 2017 12:39 pm

I just wish we had people here

ROTFLMAO… If you have ever read my blog, then you know I write like that as well. But I am considered way to vulgar and toxic for any major blog or new media outlet. I dare say that I give you Aussies a run for your money when it comes to being frank and outspoken.

65. Deplorable Idapig
      65 | March 19, 2017 12:48 pm

I just wish we had people here

Oh I meant like one of the big three “news” stations. People still watch them every night instead of getting their news on-line. The last real news reporter was Cheryl Atkinson of CBS and they forced her out. She was a lib, but an honest lib. I think it was reporting on Fast and Furious that did her in!

66 | March 19, 2017 12:55 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

My mom has watched the ABC evening news every night since the late ’60s.

67. Deplorable Idapig
      67 | March 19, 2017 12:59 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

My mom has watched the ABC evening news every night since the late ’60s.

YES! That’s what I mean! Tens of millions are just like your Mom, too! My Mom is in her 70’s and stopped watching the nightly news some 20 years ago because she saw the bias over some story we knew was BS. I think that’s when I stopped, too!

68. Deplorable Idapig
      68 | March 19, 2017 1:01 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

My mom has watched the ABC evening news every night since the late ’60s.

In fact, it was my boss at my first government job that showed me how to find the news online because I was bored out of my head (that job was feast or famine as far as work was concerned!) and was begging for something to do. It sure helped pass the time and it was there that I found LGF.

69. 69 | March 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

Oh I meant like one of the big three “news” stations.

That will probably never happen again. The Marxist infiltration is too deep and the money too much.

70 | March 19, 2017 2:04 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:
      I watched Jake Tapper on CNN. Every other word out of his mouth was editorial opinion.
      Even his questions to the panel were more like editorial statements. I get it, he does not like Trump.

71 | March 19, 2017 2:04 pm

People seem to get addicted to a network.

My FiL is a Republican, yet cannot miss the NBC Nightly News.

I don’t know how you square that, but I think it was passed on from HIS childhood.

72 | March 19, 2017 2:07 pm

It was directed to you & Lobo.

73. Deplorable Idapig
      73 | March 19, 2017 2:38 pm

People seem to get addicted to a network.

My FiL is a Republican, yet cannot miss the NBC Nightly News.

That makes sense. My parents watched Huntley & Brinkley every night. I grew up hearing Goodnight Chet, Goodnight David!

74. Deplorable Idapig
      74 | March 19, 2017 2:40 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

People seem to get addicted to a network.

My FiL is a Republican, yet cannot miss the NBC Nightly News.

I don’t think it’s addiction. It’s comfort and familiarity.

75. Deplorable Idapig
      75 | March 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

People seem to get addicted to a network.

My FiL is a Republican, yet cannot miss the NBC Nightly News.

I don’t think it’s addiction. It’s comfort and familiarity.

And they count on that, too!

76. 76 | March 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

People seem to get addicted to a network.

My FiL is a Republican, yet cannot miss the NBC Nightly News.

I don’t think it’s addiction. It’s comfort and familiarity.

I believe that it has more to do with indoctrination than mere comfort and familiarity. All of the networks relentlessly pound into the minds of their viewers how “Honest” and “Trustworthy” they are as sources of News and Information.

Indoctrination works via the “Appeal to Authority Fallacy” and “Repetition”. Tell a person over and over again that you are “Honest” and “Trustworthy”, appeal to their “Conformation Bias” and present yourself as an authority, and eventually those unaware of what you are doing will believe you.

The Mainstream Media have been doing this for over 2 centuries. It is not surprising that so many people have fallen for this indoctrination. What is surprising, is how many people are actually shaking off the indoctrination.

77. 77 | March 19, 2017 3:27 pm

The phrase, and consequently reaction to “McCarthyism” or McCarthy” is a perfect example of how powerful and well indoctrination of this nature works.

Sen. McCarthy knew that Marxists, many either working for the KGB or sympathetic to Soviet Communism were infiltrating both the US Government and America’s most fundamental Institutions.

The Mainstream Media, which had long since been infiltrated at the highest levels by Marxists used these indoctrination tactics to paint McCarthy as a witch hunting crazy man.

Between the Mitrokhin Archives and the Venona project we have learned that McCarthy was 100 percent correct.

Yet the anti-McCarthy indoctrination program was so powerful and successful that even despite what is contained in the Mitrokhin Archives and the Venona project documents (which prove that if anything, McCarthy profoundly understated the degree of infiltration and the damage those infiltrators were doing and had done) that McCarthy is still viewed as a villain and McCarthyism as a witch-hunt for nonexistent witches.

78. Deplorable Idapig
      78 | March 19, 2017 3:36 pm

They still teach it that way, too. I remember about 15 years ago someone actually tried to vindicate him and the press immediately jumped in and said, “Well there’s no new information here.” and pretty much shut him down by not covering the story.

People with influence should really do a better job trying to vindicate that man and take that weapon away from the left!

79. 79 | March 19, 2017 4:06 pm

People with influence

People with influence are the ones who smeared him in the first place. They didn’t smear him because they thought he was wrong, but because they knew he was right.

In today’s world there are only a small handful of conservatives that have the influence to even begin to challenge that McCarty is evil narrative and they are all to afraid of what such a challenge would do to their reputations and fortunes. Its not a hill any of them are willing to die on, and they know, die on it they would.

80. Deplorable Idapig
      80 | March 19, 2017 4:25 pm

People with influence

I’ve heard them all say it at one time or another, but they say it in passing like this is something everyone already knows.

81. 81 | March 19, 2017 4:46 pm

For coldwarrior… He’ll know what its about.

82. 82 | March 19, 2017 4:47 pm

For coldwarrior… He’ll know what its about.

Trying to figure out how and if I can justify buying these.

83. 83 | March 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Chuckle chuckle, coldwarrior will understand this as well.

84 | March 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Fat, bald man with a toothbrush…

85 | March 19, 2017 6:01 pm

WYWH and Meddle are my two favorite LP’s by Floyd, and I’m a fanatic.

Listening to Waters speak sensibly is a welcome reprieve.

I wouldn’t think of going to see him this year, what with all the politics, but Snowy White plays admirably as his touring guitarist.

86 | March 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Everything’s better with a fiddle.

87. 87 | March 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Listening to Waters speak sensibly is a welcome reprieve.

Even the most bigoted and racist individuals have moments of startling clarity. Bigotry and racism are fear and anger responses almost always rooted in real life interactions. Interactions which left the individual feeling vulnerable, helpless and hurt. Most tragically of all, they can be passed on from one generation to the next like a virus. This is one of the curses of empathy.

88 | March 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Trying to figure out how and if I can justify buying these.

…maintaining your sanity….?

89. 89 | March 19, 2017 6:17 pm

My brother and I used to play this at the Ruben H Fleet Space Theater fountain in San Diego for beer and pot money back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. I played the rhythm and sang while he played the lead. I think I might have played a couple of bars of it for coldwarrior when I was there. Its so bitter sweet and painful to listen to now.

90. 90 | March 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Trying to figure out how and if I can justify buying these.

…maintaining your sanity….?

Given my finances, its going to be a hard sell… Sanity is soooo over rated…

91. 91 | March 19, 2017 6:20 pm

This was our other big money maker back then.

92. 92 | March 19, 2017 6:22 pm

This was our other big money maker back then.

Think I might have played a couple of bars of this for coldwarrior and the princesses while I was there as well.

93 | March 19, 2017 6:22 pm

For Aussie Infidel, man you Aussie’s impress me with the way you write.

That’s an under-statement. That reminds me of the British writings of times past. Awesome!

94. 94 | March 19, 2017 6:25 pm

For Aussie Infidel, man you Aussie’s impress me with the way you write.

Heh heh heh, no holes barred bloody knuckles writing, man I love it.

95 | March 19, 2017 6:27 pm

salt mines….guh…..

96. 96 | March 19, 2017 6:28 pm

salt mines….guh…..

Bah… Salt mines with very pretty girls and insanely good food…

97 | March 19, 2017 6:30 pm

salt mines….guh…..

Bah… Salt mines with very pretty girls and insanely good food…

i cant complain about the scenery…

later yinz!

98 | March 19, 2017 7:02 pm

Nov 2015:

USGS Announces Largest Oil And Gas Deposit Ever Assessed In U.S

Hopefully, that might change!

Especially with horizontal drilling technologies.

99 | March 19, 2017 7:07 pm

I mean, what if you were around, say, weed being vaped?

If you inhale a trace, does it stick? Does anyone know?

Being fat soluble it ‘sticks’ for up to 3 months!

100 | March 19, 2017 7:14 pm

I just wish we had people here

It’s all about the ‘Convict Blood’ that won’t be silenced!

Convicts, bush-lawyers, rebels and the Irish and you have the perfect rhetorical storm.

HEH!

101 | March 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

Oh I meant like one of the big three “news” stations.

Not so, from experience.

When ‘they’ with they switch BIG time.

One of our Claddah Irish Pub troop was as hard core communist as any and yet now is one of the most prolific writers on Traditional Conservatism about. His ‘Road to Damascus moment’ totally changed him and he is VERY active in conservative circles now.

Also don’t forget that we have already ‘won the War’. It’s only the battles and campaigns that we are still struggling with . The outcome of the actual Culture War was won 2000 years ago. Don’t sweat the small stuff mate even when it looks overwhelming.

It’s all going to be fine in the end. We have a cast iron guarantee.

102. Deplorable Idapig
      102 | March 19, 2017 7:58 pm

It’s all going to be fine in the end. We have a cast iron guarantee.

Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I need to be reminded the war was already won!

103 | March 19, 2017 9:07 pm

As both XXXXX and I know Trevor Loudon personally I thought that you might like to see this.

For those who don’t know Trevor’s background, he is a true child of the Cold War. A very smart man, grossly undereducated formally, and who was a baker in Christchurch when he saw a niche in tracking the Hard Core Progressive Left both inside NZ and internationally. He decided that because he didn’t understand how the NZ Left actually worked, that he’d begin to create a comprehensive completely cross referenced database of their organisational structure. After more than seven years of collecting collating and finding overt and covert linkages within the NZ Left he had created a professional scaled model of the NZ Left based on their open sourced communications that he’d arduously collected.

In fact Trevor knew more about the NZ Left than the professionals did and that scared them somewhat. Over time a bit like a Mandelbrot set Trevor’s reach into the ‘guts’ of the Left expanded. This was pre-computer days and he became the go to man when it came to associations, track record and individual histories of members of the Left. Trevor was an enthusiastic first mover when it came to computerisation of data sets and he had a great data set already so it was only logical to make an early move into IT. Trevor was blessed (or cursed) with a very good memory and the ability to ‘see’ associations within complex datasets. What began as a hobby, abet a rather unusual hobby, became his life chore. He’s now working and speaking in the US. Trevor appears the same simple but very intelligent man who made bread in Christchurch in the late 1970s. Still collecting data from the Progressive Left in their own words and reading between the lines, seeing the associations and joining the dots.

Trevor still makes the professionals nervous because of his highly professional ‘home-made’ database.

… and so to Trevor’s text…

104 | March 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Louden on the left

America used to be world renown for resolving our political differences at the ballot box and then having a peaceful transition of power, despite fundamental disagreements.
      A New Zealander we interviewed at the Conservative Political Action Conference, who has studied the radical left for some 30 years, says he is watching an escalating number of radicals foment hate, violence and chaos by any means necessary to destroy the American constitutional way of life. These “ain’t college students; they’re professionals.” He hopes more Americans are connecting the dots and paying attention.
      Trevor Loudon, the author of “Enemies Within ,” was featured in a recent documentary created by the Capital Research Center called “America Under Siege: Civil War 2017 .” The film is about who was behind the inaugural protests against President Donald Trump. They found organizations and professionals like Teresa Gutierrez of the Workers World Party, who proclaims in the film, “this is the revolution that will take Donald Trump down and make America a socialist country.”
      No doubt, he says, some of the radical left in the “resistance” aim to push their disruption to the point of social and economic breakdown, and a weakened police so as to get an all-out revolution. But, Loudon says the short-term objective is “to terrorize the squishy Republicans” with shadowy, paid protesters, a corrupt media and mass manipulation by the Bernie Sanders-Tom Perez-Keith Ellison-Barack Obama radical left who suddenly lost their power. They seek to bring about disunity in the Republican ranks using escalating fear and political correctness.
      More….

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/18/author-its-not-college-kids-creating-chaos-to-resist-trump-theyre-professionals-video/#ixzz4bosXpmd9

105 | March 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Hey Aussie!

I’ll vouch for Tevor’s book, it’s excellent. There’s another ‘network’ type site, set up by David Horowitz, a red diaper baby who left the fold for the sunlight

Discover the Networks

107 | March 19, 2017 9:50 pm

winning status

[ ] Tired
      [x] Not Tired

108 | March 19, 2017 11:08 pm

Hey Aussie!

Discover the Networks

The Red Diaper Babies make the very best Conservatives.

They’ve been there and know how the progressives think and ‘get’ the context.

108. Deplorable Idapig
      109 | March 19, 2017 11:18 pm

Hey Aussie!

Discover the Networks

The Red Diaper Babies make the very best Conservatives.

They’ve been there and know how the progressives think and ‘get’ the context.

Which is why Milo has been so fun to watch!

111 | March 20, 2017 1:20 am

What is it about losing a loved one that makes us want to cook?

Do you know anything about grilling on a Himalayan salt block? It seems time consuming

110. 112 | March 20, 2017 1:34 am

Nope, never heard of it. Though I bet coldwarrior has heard of it if not even done it.

111. 113 | March 20, 2017 1:36 am

What is it about losing a loved one that makes us want to cook?

I know nothing of this. If I don’t cook, I starve, its that simple. And, as it just so happens, I am actually quiet the good cook.

114 | March 20, 2017 2:06 am

Maybe ty can figure out how to herd cats for your next meal

113. 115 | March 20, 2017 2:12 am

Maybe ty can figure out how to herd cats for your next meal

??? I do not cook cats…

114. 116 | March 20, 2017 2:28 am

Maybe ty can figure out how to herd cats for your next meal

??? I do not cook cats…

I do not cook for cats either.

117 | March 20, 2017 8:48 am

Good morning. Give this a listen, you’ll like it

116. 118 | March 20, 2017 10:03 am

You rang?

117. 119 | March 20, 2017 11:09 am

You rang?

Sorry, just got up. I’ll email you in a few minutes.

118. Deplorable Idapig
      120 | March 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Happy First Day of Spring!!!

It sure was a long time coming this year!

119. 121 | March 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Anyone watching the Comey hearings? I’m on the phone and can’t hear anything.

122 | March 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Lunchbreak thought – Comey will keep investigating Trump with no evidence for his entire Presidency. The saner Leftists know that they’ll probably never get him out of office. They just want an asterisk by his name in the annals of history. Like a ballplayer suspected of steroids but never caught.

121. Deplorable Idapig
      123 | March 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Can’t Trump just have his AG get RID of Comey? For something like dereliction of duty or something?

122. 124 | March 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Anyone watching the Comey hearings? I’m on the phone and can’t hear anything.

Watching it. So far its a pretty pathetic attempt to discredit the Trump administration by painting Trumps subordinates as puppets of Putin.

125 | March 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

Yes, the 10 year appointment is a limitation, not a 10 year guarantee. it was enacted to avoid another J Edgar Hoover for life.
      The President may remove the Director at his pleasure.

124. Deplorable Idapig
      126 | March 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

The President may remove the Director at his pleasure.

The press will go WILD but he’d be smart to do it anyway! Unless having baseless investigations on himself means keeping the guy busy and out of mischief.

127 | March 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

Happy First Day of Spring!!!

It sure was a long time coming this year!

it is! and it just so happens that i got to do my favorite thing. i paid my country club dues today, thereby rewarding my hard work and the fact that i created a surpluss.

and then i went out on the wet course (still a little snow on it) and shot an 81. an 81 is pretty damn good for the 3rd time out this year on a very difficult and tight ‘penal school’ of golf course such as the one i belong to. amazing what some lessons and a dorian made ping putter can do!

126. Deplorable Idapig
      128 | March 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

Happy First Day of Spring!!!

It sure was a long time coming this year!

I know NOTHING about golf! I know the lower the score the better, so I’m assuming you did good! And I have no idea what under par means! Which is the only golf term I know other than the ball is a birdie?

129 | March 20, 2017 2:18 pm

There’s an article in today’s WSJ that Eric Schneiderman, NY AG is escalating his investigation of Trump. He’s using Preet Bharara’s second, a guy named Howard Master to do it.

So I just turned on Rush. Comey said there IS an investigation of something but there’s no evidence? Like I said, I just turned it on, so I’m not clear on the details

128. 130 | March 20, 2017 2:25 pm

amazing what some lessons and a dorian made ping putter can do!

Heh heh heh, I made Ping putters, and Penley carbon fiber shafts. I am a GREAT supporter of the game of Golf.

131 | March 20, 2017 2:34 pm

TRILLIONS of dollars are at stake!

130. 132 | March 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

And I have no idea what under par means!

Par is the number of shots/strokes (Shots/strokes equal how many times you may hit the ball) you are allowed on each hole. Under Par means it took you less shots/strokes then are allowed.

Bogey= 1 stroke above par.
      Birdie= 1 stroke below par.
      Eagle= 2 strokes under par.
      Albatross= 3 strokes under par.
      Mulligan= 1 allowed do over stroke. (Considered by most scratch golfer’s as cheating)
      Scratch golfer= a player who can play to a course handicap of zero on any and all rated golf courses.

Hope this helps a little.

133 | March 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

i was 9 shots over par for 18 on a wet course.

that is really good, especially this early in the year.

par is 72, a golfer is allotted 72 shots (broken down by hole) to finish. 72 is every shot hit well, so a par 5 would be a drive, seconfd shot, third shot onto the green and two puts.—5

134 | March 20, 2017 2:43 pm

trump built an empire in nyc real estate and no one could find any mob ties…they sure aint gonna find any russian ties.

135 | March 20, 2017 2:45 pm

‘Comey won’t commit to investigating Obama officials over Flynn leaks’

thats all i needed to hear, this is a sham.

134. 136 | March 20, 2017 2:47 pm

i was 9 shots over par for 18 on a wet course.

For your third round of the season, that’s not really good, that’s damned good. Oh, and I’m not about to try to explain the handicap system to her, that’s damned confusing even to me. The math isn’t difficult, its the whole idea behind it that’s confusing.

135. 137 | March 20, 2017 2:49 pm

thats all i needed to hear, this is a sham.

Of course it is. Comey is Deep State, and the Deep State is Marxist, they are fighting for the life of their glorious Marxist Coup.

136. 138 | March 20, 2017 2:51 pm

thats all i needed to hear, this is a sham.

Oh… And Trump really should be prosecuting these treasonous bastard under 18 US Code Chapter 115. Its unlikely he will, but he really should.

137. 139 | March 20, 2017 2:51 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

I don’t know what under par means….mostly because when I play golf I am never in that position.

138. 140 | March 20, 2017 2:54 pm

And a “Condor” is a hole-in-one on a par 5 (technically four strokes under par, but unless there are some par 6 holes out there…..)

141 | March 20, 2017 2:56 pm

The math isn’t difficult, its the whole idea behind it that’s confusing.

each course is either 72 or 71 par. and they are all slope rated, more difficult courses have a higher slope rating, mine is difficult, the place up the road with no trees and no punishment for errant shots has a much lower slope rating as it is much easier. this way handicaps from one course can be compared to another.

so, what y a do is play 10 or so rounds and feed the numbers into the computer and irt spits out the handicap (and accounting for slope rating)

so, if you average 8 over par (80) on a neutral course, you have an 8 handicap.

i you average 8 over par on a difficult course you might be at a 6 handicap.

if you average an 8 on a joke of a course like the one up the road from us, you might have a 12 handicap.

142 | March 20, 2017 2:57 pm

only kim il sung is able to do that,

he shot a 32.

143 | March 20, 2017 2:58 pm

i’ve never heard of condors or albatross…must be a west coast golf gang thang,
      (throws an east coast arnold palmer gang sign)

yep.

144 | March 20, 2017 2:59 pm

why are they doing this hearing on day one of gorsuch hearing?

145 | March 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Mahogany Run, St Thomas, USVI

Brutal

144. 146 | March 20, 2017 3:07 pm

why are they doing this hearing on day one of gorsuch hearing?

They are attempting to set a narrative by which they can discredit Gorsuch. Oh, and Comey lied his ass off. Not surprising since he is a traitor.

147 | March 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Mahogany Run, St Thomas, USVI

Brutal

Fully stocked beverage cart.

I’M THERE!

148 | March 20, 2017 3:09 pm

i expect nothing less from the worm-bastards on both sides of the aisle.

149 | March 20, 2017 3:11 pm

USGA definition

The USGA states that slope rating is a mark that indicates the measurement of the relative difficulty of a course for players who are not scratch golfers compared to the USGA course rating (e.g., compared to the difficulty of a course for scratch golfers). A slope rating is computed from the difference between the bogey rating and the USGA course rating. A golf course of standard playing difficulty has a slope rating of 113, and slope ratings range from a minimum of 55 (very easy) to a maximum of 155 (extremely difficult).[1]

The USGA slope rating of a golf course is a mark that describes the measure of difficulty for a bogey golfer relative to a scratch golfer at a specific set of tees. It describes the fact that when playing on a more difficult course, the scores of higher-handicapped players will rise more quickly than those of lower handicapped golfers. The slope rating of a set of tees predicts the straight-line rise in anticipated score versus USGA course handicap, as in the mathematical slope of a graph.

A slope rating is calculated from the difference in a bogey course rating and a scratch course rating, more commonly known as the course rating. This difference is multiplied by 5.381 to get a men’s slope rating or 4.240 to get a women’s slope rating.[2] Course ratings (bogey and scratch) are determined by course raters, who measure and record more than 460 numbers on a course rating form for each set of tees.

148. 150 | March 20, 2017 3:16 pm

must be a west coast golf gang thang,

Cough cough… Scottish thang cough cough… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Par_(score)#Albatross Ok, their both actually from Augusta.

151 | March 20, 2017 3:17 pm

must be a west coast golf gang thang,

ahhh…the minutia of golf!

150. 152 | March 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Bethpage Black is supposed to be tough too.

I remember when they played the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay a couple years ago. OMG – the dought conditions created the BROWNEST golf course I’ve ever seen – honestly, it was painful to watch not just for what the golfers were going through but the UGLINESS of the course itself.

151. 153 | March 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Actually, there’s a PGA commercial where Carlton from “Fresh Prince” talks about the skills of golfers. He says something “your odds of hitting a hole-in-one are ____; this guy has 20 of them. An Albatross? He has two.” Which made me look up Albatross. And then I thought “has there EVER been a hole in one on a par 5” and that’s when I found out about Condors.

152. Deplorable Idapig
      154 | March 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

And I have no idea what under par means!

Bogey= 1 stroke above par.
      Birdie= 1 stroke below par.
      Eagle= 2 strokes under par.
      Albatross= 3 strokes under par.

Hope this helps a little.

Yeah, it does! I’ve heard of all those terms and had no clue what they meant. Thanks!

153. Deplorable Idapig
      155 | March 20, 2017 3:32 pm

why are they doing this hearing on day one of gorsuch hearing?

The question answers itself. So people won’t watch the Gorsuch hearing because they’re too focused (thanks media!) on Gowdy questioning Comey.

156 | March 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Bethpage Black is supposed to be tough too.

chambers bay was hideous. that place will NEVER be ready for an open.

i have played bethpage state park black. you had better be able to hit 85 or this course will eat you alive.

the hardest course that i have ever played is oakmont, 4 times.

155. 157 | March 20, 2017 3:54 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

The biggest surprise I found out about playing golf when I took it up some years ago is that I can have horrible practice at the driving range, and practice putts and chipping. I can play 9 holes and triple bogey every single one (if I’m LUCKY). But hit one great drive or sink one perfect putt and the other 60 strokes you took that day fade away and you can’t wait to get out there and try again.

158 | March 20, 2017 4:03 pm

and that is the hook

157. 159 | March 20, 2017 5:16 pm

and that is the hook

Hah… You would never catch me on such a flimsy hook…

158. 160 | March 20, 2017 5:19 pm

and that is the hook

Hah… You would never catch me on such a flimsy hook…

Any hook catching me… Has to at least have BBQ sauce on it… Just sayin…

161 | March 20, 2017 5:40 pm

new thread….
      Night Yinz!….26 hours awake is enough!

160. 162 | March 20, 2017 5:46 pm

26 hours awake is enough!

Slacker… Haven’t you heard, I’m a meth freak… Still… 26 hours aint nothin…

163 | March 20, 2017 5:59 pm

I’m a meth freak

Yeah. You should be able to BUILD those pickups in about 4.25 hours!!

162. Deplorable Idapig
      164 | March 20, 2017 6:38 pm

@ Deplorable Idapig:

I suck at Pee Wee Golf. I can’t see me taking it up.

163. 165 | March 20, 2017 6:43 pm

I’m a meth freak

Yeah. You should be able to BUILD those pickups in about 4.25 hours!!

Minus the 18 or so hours I keep taking them apart and reassembling them backwards and inside out.

164. Deplorable Idapig
      166 | March 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Deplorable Idapig wrote:

I suck at Pee Wee Golf. I can’t see me taking it up.

I’ve always liked bowling, though. And I’ve always wanted to join a league – but I’m pretty sure I suck at that too!

167 | March 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Beef Stroganoff and Sauteed Asparagus…

Yep, I’d definitely eat that.