• Hard-assed Bands.

Filed under Music, Open thread at July 16th, 2017 - 3:00 am

Yeah, without make-up. Which bands would you RUN  from? I have two suggestions…

Molly Hatchet

I’ve seen these guys on two continents and 7 different venues over 3 decades (holy shit…I’m OLD!). Molly Hatchet is straight up righteous, beer-drinking, honest to GOD music. THEY LOVE playing

Bachman Turner Overdrive

Image result for bachman turner overdrive pictures

Never got to see these cats but they were my first ever Album purchase.

As an aside, my dad was hammering the overtime when that BTO song was big…and all was good in life. we flew down to see our relatives in KY (uncle in the Air Force). Flew, FLEW!!! in 1975…that was money then, 4 passengers,  the plane had tables to sit around! We were treated like royalty. i guess it never ends, mrs coldwarrior and i hit the OT, our girls get a beach house once or twice a year, no worries,  and all is good in life. i hope that one of the kids remembers our effort later like i did here…it never ends, does it!

i love both of these bands, however, in their heyday, they looked more like Teamsters than rock stars. And that asks the question made above.

Comments

107 Responses to “Hard-assed Bands.”

1 | July 16, 2017 9:13 am

these guys

2. 2 | July 16, 2017 9:34 am

MTV killed the Radio Star. Before MTV any ole ugly mug could be a Rock Star, MTV brought in all the “Pretty Boy’s” and suddenly you had to be a super attractive movie star to be a Rock Star.

3. 3 | July 16, 2017 9:38 am

Historic ugly mugs in Rock and Roll…

4 | July 16, 2017 9:49 am

re-post from downstairs

an fyi, showed up in my twitter feed. We’ve got an Army vet w/ over 18 yrs of service in his last days and people are finding it difficult to spend time with him because his speech is impacted. Texts – anything – just to let him know he’s still connected to the world – that’s his final wish

He’s already got one pic of the Heathen Beagles – yeah, I’m shameless

Lee Hernandez 210-632-6778.

go for it

5. 5 | July 16, 2017 10:03 am

Not a Rock Star…

6 | July 16, 2017 10:04 am

This is a BRILLIANT piece by Evan Sayet.

Donald Trump is America’s first wartime president in the Culture War.

while we were playing by the rules of dignity, collegiality and propriety, the Left has been, for the past 60 years, engaged in a knife fight where the only rules are those of Saul Alinsky and the Chicago mob.

I don’t find anything “dignified,” “collegial” or “proper” about Barack Obama’s lying about what went down on the streets of Ferguson in order to ramp up racial hatreds because racial hatreds serve the Democratic Party. I don’t see anything “dignified” in lying about the deaths of four Americans in Benghazi and imprisoning an innocent filmmaker to cover your tracks. I don’t see anything “statesman-like” in weaponizing the IRS to be used to destroy your political opponents and any dissent. Yes, Obama was “articulate” and “polished” but in no way was he in the least bit “dignified,” “collegial” or “proper.”
      []
      like Patton standing over the battlefield as his tanks obliterated Rommel’s, he’s shouting, “You magnificent bastards, I read your book!”

7 | July 16, 2017 10:28 am

Chris Wallace just had Jay Sekulow on. He kept badgering him and disrespectfully kept interrupting.
      Sekulow asked Wallace a question and was met with “I ask the questions, you answer”
      I wanted Sekulow to say something like, “I came here to be interviewed not deposed by a partisan hack”
      I have never liked Wallace and I never understood why they replaced Tony Snow with him.

8 | July 16, 2017 10:38 am

I never understood why they replaced Tony Snow with him.

his Daddy Mike, is why.

Chris was ok until Trump won. After Trump called the media the enemy of the people, he went on the warpath. A clear and present danger to his protected status/class.

Too bad he doesn’t feel the same way about CNN/NYT

9 | July 16, 2017 10:41 am

I just figured out I can watch video on my kindle.

god, I suck

10 | July 16, 2017 10:47 am

I never understood why they replaced Tony Snow with him.

his Daddy Mike, is why.

Too bad he doesn’t feel the same way about CNN/NYT

I think that he has got worse, but I never liked his style anyway.
      To your point he has got worse since Trump. When Megan Kelly said, “We have a strategy to deal with Mister Trump
      Wallace was part of the we. But, Trump slapped him down immediately at the debate, and he became pretty timid.

11 | July 16, 2017 12:55 pm

The “decadent, lazy, spoiled” Americans who aren’t good enough for Bill Kristol and who ex-conservative Bret Stephens wants to deport and replace with cheap foreign imports, the small towns that National Review’s Kevin Williamson says deserve to die are fighting for their lives. They want their country back. And they have more in common with Kid Rock
      than with the Republican elites who have turned their backs on flyover America.

Yeah, I think low taxes, guns and strippers beats Joe Brzezinski any day. Instead of a debate, they could have a concert play-off.

12 | July 16, 2017 3:22 pm

oh, jeez. This just got added to my NOPE file.

The world’s most dangerous hiking routes – with video

13 | July 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Thanks for posting that. Went to the link — best article I’ve read in a long time regarding this subject; he nails it. Only issue I have is I don’t know who is running whom, the dems running the media or vice-versa

14 | July 16, 2017 4:38 pm

oh, jeez. This just got added to my NOPE file.

The world’s most dangerous hiking routes – with video

Yep, that’s sketchy 10 feet above the ground. … and people stand in line doing it, adding weight to those narrow boards? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Over.

15 | July 16, 2017 4:54 pm

oh it’s the media running the Dems, make no mistake. And a good portion of the GOPe too

16 | July 16, 2017 5:05 pm

kid rock hunts with hank williams jr….enough said right there.

17 | July 16, 2017 5:19 pm

excellent article.

19 | July 16, 2017 5:33 pm

the thing with the chickenhawk neo-cons, the globalist-socialists, and the rest of the nevertrumpers is that they went to college with the liberals on the ‘other side’ . they smoked dope together back in the day and now they go to the same parties and have the same friends.

they all are part of the same industry. this industry does not include the flyovers. the only thing the flyovers can do is service them. they are the ‘leaders of the movement’ both gop and dem, they make words and expect the rest of us to OBEY.

well, that time is over and their industry is being threatened. this is the way they make money. kristol and the rest of them cant just up and move to get a new job, there arent any outside of the i95 corridor. they are threatened with uselessness by the likes of us flyovers and trump and they are fighting back with the only tools they have, empty words.

19. 20 | July 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Haaaa… The first true sign of the apocalypse is upon us… Grampa Wayne, knife in hand trembling like an alcoholic in the throes of the DT’s wanting much more to stab me then utter the words that came out of his mouth, offered me a job this morning. We’re DOOMED I tell you… DOOOOOOMED…..

21 | July 16, 2017 5:47 pm

now, those nevertrumpers and globalist-socialists who didnt go the the schools and who dont live in the i95 power structure so want to be part of the elite that they are willing to misquote adam smith, twist what free trade is, and sell out their neighbors.

when trump goes after china for ILLEGALLY dumping steel here, they will howl in disapproval because their masters told them to and they so want to be elite, so want to be part of the club. they so need and want to be art of the club that they will go against their own economic interests and sell out their neighbors.

22 | July 16, 2017 5:48 pm

DOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!

the end times are HERE! what? i see a pale horse in the distance! REPENT!!!!!! SINNNERSSS!!!!!

23 | July 16, 2017 5:52 pm

That’s…cool?

What industry?

24 | July 16, 2017 5:56 pm

that they went to college with the liberals on the ‘other side’

it started way before college. In Kristol’s case, he was literally to the manor born, daddy one of the founders of conservatism, mother a highly respected historian. It is absolutely a class/status issue and that, more than anything is their issue with Trump. What happened to William Buckley’s son Christopher? Nothing. Stasis. A couple crappy books, one of which trashed his parents – and he was done. But he is still ‘theirs’. They simply cannot imagine any world outside their own. Anything else feels like – and in truth is – an invasion, an absolute violation.

And listen – from a female perspective – they are REALLY not happy about Melania. Their wives can have all the Ph.Ds in the world – but – go find a photo of Bill Kristol’s wife Susan. She may have been attractive when she was younger but she’s not that much older than Melania. That hurts. I was a trophy wife when I married Hubby because of the age difference and still fairly young. We both got shit you would not believe. I nearly punched out one guy in a bar. These people live on acquired status, it’s the air they breathe. They cannot stand it.

25 | July 16, 2017 6:05 pm

daddy one of the founders of conservatism,

NO. no he wasnt. he was a dem socialist hawk / pro israel who lost his home in the democrat party. he is not nor has ever been conservative. he was a liberal jewish guy who loved to use force on the international stage. force being the blood over the underlings outside of nyc.

26 | July 16, 2017 6:06 pm

it is their industry that is threatened. their way of life!

27 | July 16, 2017 6:07 pm

mckees rox round house!

28 | July 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Case in point. David Brooks. Who was certain a friend of his was uncomfortable in a sandwich shop because she didn’t recognize the Italian words (‘pomodoro’ appearing on every Olive Garden menu in the country notwithstanding).

Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” and ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican.

American upper-middle-class culture (where the opportunities are) is now laced with cultural signifiers that are completely illegible unless you happen to have grown up in this class. They play on the normal human fear of humiliation and exclusion. Their chief message is, “You are not welcome here.”

Notice HIS self-applause for recognizing his own ‘insensitivity’ and his assumption of his friends humiliation. It will not occur to him that perhaps she didn’t like the food or the prices. She has no college degree, therefore incapable of swimming in his pool.

The hubris is breathtaking.

29 | July 16, 2017 6:17 pm

soppressata

Note to Brooks: Walmart has it

30 | July 16, 2017 6:20 pm

ummmm….that fuckwad needs to come over here and take a trip to the strip district with me, sopprassata indeed!

the degos in the back room of penn-mac will stuff his ass into a vat of olives.

31 | July 16, 2017 6:29 pm

32 | July 16, 2017 6:34 pm

33 | July 16, 2017 6:34 pm

oh god I missed that one. I didn’t see it but I heard he just got gutted on twitter.

well, as Brooks noted, you have to have grown up in that class. He just needs to grow up, period.

34 | July 16, 2017 6:42 pm

oh you have got to be kidding me

Charlie Gard’s lawyer is also … wait for it … ‘head of charity that backs assisted dying’

keep in mind, that lawyer was appointed by the courts.

35 | July 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Brilliant!!

36 | July 16, 2017 6:56 pm

I have a masters degree, but I don’t know what most of that stuff is. I do recognize the names as Italian, though.

It has nothing to do with education level, and everything to do with regional cuisine.

I’d love to see the blank look on his face when a server here in NM asked him “Red or green?”

37 | July 16, 2017 6:57 pm

Brilliant!!

quite.

38 | July 16, 2017 6:59 pm

bingo. i grew up with that stuff, hell, ive forgotten more about cured/smoked italian meat than that wad brooks ever knew.

39 | July 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Brilliant!!

quite.

It would be if I could understand a word he was saying.

40 | July 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Brilliant!!

quite.

It would be if I could understand a word he was saying.

its hysterical, trust me.

41 | July 16, 2017 7:24 pm

“I think the one possibility that’s of concern is that melanomas are known to go to the brain and they can bleed,” Dr. Stieg said. “They’ll have to wait for the pathology to come back. The good news is that five centimeters is a sizable blood clot, but in the frontal lobe, it should be well tolerated and hopefully he won’t have any neurologic deficits.”

McCain’s Surgery May Be More Serious Than Thought, Experts Say

not to mention that clots aren’t biopsied.

42 | July 16, 2017 7:25 pm

aha…found it

Supra-orbital craniotomy (often called “eyebrow” craniotomy) is a procedure used to remove brain tumors. In this procedure, neurosurgeons make a small incision within the eyebrow to access tumors in the front of the brain or around the pituitary gland. This approach is used instead of endonasal endoscopic surgery when a tumor is very large or close to the optic nerves or vital arteries.

mccain is far more ill that they are letting on

42. 43 | July 16, 2017 7:27 pm

That’s…cool?

What industry?

Aerospace. They’re gonna put me back in charge of the mind control satellite again… (Carbon composites for spacecraft sub assemblies)

43. 44 | July 16, 2017 7:28 pm

aha…found it

mccain is far more ill that they are letting on

Hopefully the surgeon will remove his brain and leave the tumor.

45 | July 16, 2017 7:29 pm

All tumor related eyebrow procedures.

But, 5 cm blot clot was in the news.

46 | July 16, 2017 7:31 pm

oh, man, watch Al Jubier rip Iran a new one.

“Didn’t Iran create Hezbollah?”

47 | July 16, 2017 7:32 pm

you dont do a crani to fix a clot, you go in through the thigh and or start the pt on tPA (clot buster) or heparin and go with ‘blood thinners’ for long term absorption of said clot.

he has a bleeder carcinoma in the space behind/above his eye.

this crap is not even close to minimally invasive, clots dont get to 5cm, ever, period. this whole story is total bullshit. mccain has brain cancer and it metastasized from previous melanoma. brain tumors cause bizarre behavior and are not picked up on routine exam. something neurologically emergent happened.

48 | July 16, 2017 7:33 pm

They’re gonna put me back in charge of the mind control satellite again

wait, what, I missed a post somewhere. You landed a job??!!

49 | July 16, 2017 7:34 pm

All tumor related eyebrow procedures.

But, 5 cm blot clot was in the news.

we are getting lied to, again.

50 | July 16, 2017 7:35 pm

(Carbon composites for spacecraft sub assemblies)

hooooray!

back to your ancestral homelands!

50. 51 | July 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Brilliant!!

quite.

It would be if I could understand a word he was saying.

its hysterical, trust me.

Well, it would be hysterical were it not such an accurate depiction of the entire political class.

52 | July 16, 2017 7:37 pm

something neurologically emergent happened.

so we need to learn the Arizona rules for special elections.

53 | July 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Yey! You need a bit of good luck and fortune this year.

Best wishes, Dorian.

53. 54 | July 16, 2017 7:38 pm

They’re gonna put me back in charge of the mind control satellite again

wait, what, I missed a post somewhere. You landed a job??!!

Tentatively offered. Don’t have anything official yet, but most likely yes.

55 | July 16, 2017 7:46 pm

crossed fingers and prayers, not necessarily in that order!

56 | July 16, 2017 7:51 pm

something neurologically emergent happened.

so we need to learn the Arizona rules for special elections.

The governor appoints a replacement, who stays until the next general election (November 2018)

57 | July 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Stephen Colbert Calls Kellyanne Conway “Satan’s Trophy Wife”

Left-wing comedian and all-around weasel Stephen Colbert put his stunning hypocrisy on full display this week by referring to White House Counselor Kellyanne Conway in a way that would have triggered massive backlash had he been a conservative speaking about a liberal woman.

“Last night, senior White House adviser and Satan’s trophy wife Kellyanne Conway appeared on Fox News and used a little visual aid to drive home her point,” Colbert said on “The Late Show” Thursday as he began another one of his half-baked sketches.

Neither progressives on social media nor liberal pundits in the mainstream media have said anything about this disparaging remark, despite the clearly sexist and misogynist nature.

58 | July 16, 2017 7:54 pm

well, that’s some guy named Ducey who is Republican and that’s all I know

59 | July 16, 2017 7:59 pm

good thing he’s an observant Catholic, he can go to confession and promise not to do it again.

61 | July 16, 2017 8:00 pm

well, the heathen beagles just managed to get in trouble. I hear mayhem in the dining room and some yelping.

later.

62 | July 16, 2017 8:17 pm

aha…found it
      mccain is far more ill that they are letting on

Hopefully the surgeon will remove his brain and leave the tumor.

Aaaah Haaaaaa! That explains a lot regarding McCain’s behaviour these last 30 years. His tumor became self aware back in ummm 1987!

63 | July 16, 2017 8:25 pm

That’s…cool?

What industry?

That’s not with RocketLabs by any chance mate? I know I mentioned it to you way back when and I know that they are building teams right now as they ramp up production of the composite Electron launch vehicles to meet a twice weekly launch schedule in 2018.

Good luck dorian where ever you find employment.

64 | July 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Stephen Colbert Calls Kellyanne Conway “Satan’s Trophy Wife”

You mean Conway the lady who makes up lunches for her three kids and then heads off every morning for and early Mass and Communion before going to work?

THAT ‘Satan’s Trophy Wife’ Kelly Anne Conway?

Suck it up Colbert. That light you’re seeing down the tunnel is the 3:15 ‘Karma Express’ headed your way mate!

65 | July 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Kamala Harris is a dangerous person with very bad connections. But, I guess that’s redundant, she is a democrat.

66 | July 16, 2017 9:04 pm

She also knows more about these crazies than she admits.

67 | July 16, 2017 9:05 pm

Colbert

hypocrisy on parade

68 | July 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Kamala Harris, Dems’ Rising ‘Glass Ceiling Breaker’ Meets With Clinton Inner Circle In Hamptons

Meeting with the little people, I see…

I like how this article details it. Love the sarcasm.

(Can’t copy and paste from that site, so you’ll have to go there. It’s a good article, I promise).

69 | July 16, 2017 9:06 pm

omg It’s Arya

70 | July 16, 2017 9:09 pm

The exact structure of the purported police department was unclear. But on the website, Henry is referred to as “Absolute Supreme Sovereign Grandmaster.”

Sounds totally legit…

70. 71 | July 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Oh HELL no. I’m not taking that hiking trail. Not even for all the money the Clinton family raked in to their foundation.

72 | July 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Sounds totally legit…

Yeah, that whole kerfluffle was some prime comedy reading last year. These people are certifiably nuts.

72. 73 | July 16, 2017 9:17 pm

I now refer to her as Sen. She-Who-Fucked-Willie_Brown….

73. 74 | July 16, 2017 9:21 pm

Apparently his friend is incapable of asking a question of the waiter or person at the counter.

74. 75 | July 16, 2017 9:24 pm

Awesome! Prayers that it works out for you.

76 | July 16, 2017 9:24 pm

of course not. She doesn’t have a college degree.

77 | July 16, 2017 9:25 pm

GoT started 25 mins ago and twitter has come to a standstill

77. 78 | July 16, 2017 9:30 pm

That’s not with RocketLabs by any chance mate?

No, if it comes together it will be with RockWest Composites. My brother’s FiL is a junior partner in the company. He left ATK Orbital to buy into the company. Its basically the family business.

79 | July 16, 2017 9:45 pm

That’s…cool?

What industry?

That’s great to hear.

80 | July 16, 2017 9:54 pm

Romanians seeking asylum are in California, Pa. as part of U.S. Immigration program

CALIFORNIA, Pa. — Most of the 40 or so Romanians who have moved to this community in the past two months do not speak English well, if at all. They do not know American customs and are unfamiliar with codes of conduct.

And they had no idea that their sudden arrival would upset so many of the residents of this small town 35 miles south of Pittsburgh.

More than 150 residents packed California borough council’s municipal meeting room Thursday evening to voice concerns about the influx of the Romanian refugees.

The Romanians, who said they came to America to escape persecution in their Bucharest-area homes, have been processed through U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and have been released as part of the government’s Alternative to Detention program, which monitors flight from other nations. They are members of the group known as Roma, or gypsies, and are distinct from ethnic Romanians. Roma are minorities in many European states and often face prejudice and discrimination.’

The federal program allows the immigrants find temporary homes, a cheaper and more humane alternative to keeping them in detention.

But the Romanians, nearly all of whom are renting apartments from local real estate agent Vito Dentino, have had challenges in the community of fewer than 7,000 people.

Angry residents at Thursday’s meeting said the newcomers throw trash around, park their cars in yards, disobey traffic rules, and are disruptive in markets. Others said that they’ve seen Romanians killing chickens and children defecating in public.

And then there are the internet-fueled rumors about them.

“We’re a very diverse town, we’re very open, but they aren’t assimilating to our laws,” said Pam Duricic, 59, a lifelong resident of California. “We are understanding that these are immigrants. But this is not the same scenario as our grandparents. They didn’t come here to raise havoc.”

Council members, the borough administrator and police Chief Richard Encapera said they had no warning that the immigrants were coming and have had difficulty contacting federal authorities for assistance and explanations.

But they also said there have been no instances of violence or aggression, and the immigrants involved in minor infractions have been duly cited and paid their fines.

The first few Romanians arrived in mid-May and contacted Mr. Dentino about renting some of his apartment. Others quickly followed.

“They call themselves gypsies,” Mr. Dentino said. “They throw trash in their yards, but I’ve talked to them about that, and they clean it up. I think people around here are just overreacting.”

Ali George, 24, a native of Bucharest, said they were drawn to California by the same things that might attract anyone — a friendly, inexpensive place to live. Many in their group are related; others knew each other back in Bucharest.

“We left our country, not because we are poor,” said a friend of Mr. George, who did not want to give his name. “We left because of racism and we’re seeking political asylum.”

Still, the answers baffle many residents.

Janet Bateman, who has lived in California for more than 50 years, demanded that council members contact federal authorities to explain the Romanians’ presence.

“Charleroi didn’t get them. Brownsville didn’t get them. How did they come to be here?” she said. “This isn’t sunny California. This is California, Pa. We are a small town. How did the federal government come to know about us? There’s Pittsburgh, a big city. There’s Maryland, there’s Ohio, there’s West Virginia. Who threw a dart at a map and hit California, Pa.?”

An ICE official contacted by the Post-Gazette said immigrants who are released decide where they want to live.

“ICE does not place ATD participants in specific jurisdictions,” the official said in an email. “There are (ATD) program participants living in California. … [But] while ICE tracks all ATD participants, we cannot disclose where those residing in California, Pa., are from, nor can we confirm that all foreign nationals residing in California, Pa., are ATD participants.”

California officials said some of the Romanians wear ankle devices to monitor their movements, but the devices are not for criminal behavior, borough police said.

Mr. Dentino and other residents said they had interacted with some of the Romanians and found them to be pleasant but unaware of American culture and customs. Several suggested organizing a group of town officials and others, perhaps from California University of Pennsylvania, to initiate an outreach and education effort.

Especially, Mr. Dentino said, because as many as 100 more Romanians may move to California in the months ahead — and there is no legal reason to stop them.

Pete Ware, a graduate student at the university, said he’d be willing to help the newcomers. Other supporters said the suspicions of the neighbors are born out of fear and ignorance.

“I have not had one problem with them,” said lifelong resident Lisa Buday, 50. “I say hi to them. … This is a community. Let’s be human. This is not a fast process.”

California residents saw a sharp and sizable increase in the number of Romanians in the community less than two weeks ago, after a young man, related to several of those living here, died in an accident in Bucharest. Unable to return to their homeland, more than 100 of them came from across America to California to mourn together.

The visitors stayed in the apartments of those already here.

One of them, a 36-year-old Romanian who came with his wife and two young children from their home in Baltimore, said the last of the relatives would be leaving in the next day or two.

“People here have been nice to us,” the man, who refused to give his name, said in broken English. “We say ‘Hello, good morning,’ and they tell the same back to us.”

Charlene Redmond, 28, of California, said she met some of the Romani boys down by the creek and they invited her to dinner. She asked if she should wear a scarf and they said yes, out of respect.

“We sat on the porch and ate and I learned some words,” she said. “And it was awesome.”

81 | July 16, 2017 10:06 pm

yeah, that report didn’t talk about public defecation like another report I saw did. and that DOES mean gypsies. They were all over Spain when I was there. They are not to be trusted, they live by thieving and they are filthy.

California PA isn’t far from the well-to-do South Hills suburbs of Pgh like Upper St Clair, Bethel Park and Mt. Lebanon. Wait till THAT demo gets a load of them.

82 | July 16, 2017 10:08 pm

of course not. She doesn’t have a college degree.

But the person behind the counter probably does…

83 | July 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Deplorable Macker wrote:

I now refer to her as Sen. She-Who-Fucked-Willie_Brown….

Oh, yes, mustn’t forget that scandal. Leave it to the dems to push someone with massive amounts of baggage.

84 | July 16, 2017 10:13 pm

of course not. She doesn’t have a college degree.

But the person behind the counter probably does…

HARRRRR!!!

85 | July 16, 2017 10:24 pm

off to bed. nite.

86 | July 16, 2017 10:24 pm

My right knee is killing me.

Probably wasn’t a good weekend to be installing new baseboards…

87 | July 16, 2017 10:25 pm

I live here.

Why didn’t the reporter ask what ‘race’ this friend was referring to?

88 | July 16, 2017 10:26 pm

I’ve been crating a lot at work, and got a decent pair of kneepads.

Makes a huge difference.

89 | July 16, 2017 10:30 pm

Well, that’s good news then

89. 90 | July 16, 2017 10:32 pm

We have (or at least had) a gypsy family living here who was notorious for scams. When I worked for the airline, we’d ‘gate check’ their bags so they were delivered to the ticket counter instead of the baggage carousel. This was supposedly to keep them from taking their bags to their car, then reporting it stolen. I had one of the family members say we should pay for a new pair of shoes for him when he scuffed them coming in the revolving door.

91 | July 16, 2017 10:32 pm

RIP.

George A. Romero, Father of the Zombie Film, Dead at 77

NEW YORK (AP) — George Romero, whose classic “Night of the Living Dead” and other horror films turned zombie movies into social commentaries and who saw his flesh-devouring undead spawn countless imitators, remakes and homages, has died. He was 77.
      Romero died Sunday following a battle with lung cancer, said his family in a statement provided by his manager Chris Roe. Romero’s family said he died while listening to the score of “The Quiet Man,” one of his favorite films, with his wife, Suzanne Desrocher, and daughter, Tina Romero, by this side.

Romero is credited with reinventing the movie zombie with his directorial debut, the 1968 cult classic, “Night of the Living Dead.” The movie set the rules imitators lived by: Zombies move slowly, lust for human flesh and can only be killed when shot in the head. If a zombie bites a human, the person dies and returns as a zombie.

Romero’s zombies, however, were always more than mere cannibals; they were metaphors for conformity, racism, mall culture, militarism, class differences and other social ills.

“The zombies, they could be anything,” Romero told The Associated Press in 2008. “They could be an avalanche, they could be a hurricane. It’s a disaster out there. The stories are about how people fail to respond in the proper way. They fail to address it. They keep trying to stick where they are, instead of recognizing maybe this is too big for us to try to maintain. That’s the part of it that I’ve always enjoyed.”

“Night of the Living Dead,” made for about $100,000, featured flesh-hungry ghouls trying to feast on humans holed up in a Pennsylvania house. In 1999, the Library of Congress inducted the black-and-white masterpiece into the National Registry of Films.

Many considered the film to be a critique on racism in America. The sole black character survives the zombies, but he is fatally shot by rescuers.

Ten years after “Night of the Living Dead,” Romero made “Dawn of the Dead,” where human survivors take refuge from the undead in a mall and then turn on each other as the zombies stumble around the shopping complex.

Film critic Roger Ebert called it “one of the best horror films ever made — and, as an inescapable result, one of the most horrifying. It is gruesome, sickening, disgusting, violent, brutal and appalling. It is also … brilliantly crafted, funny, droll, and savagely merciless in its satiric view of the American consumer society.”

Romero had a sometimes combative relationship with the genre he helped create. He called “The Walking Dead” a “soap opera” and said big-budget films like “World War Z” made modest zombie films impossible. Romero maintained that he wouldn’t make horror films he couldn’t fill them with political statements.

“People say, ‘You’re trapped in this genre. You’re a horror guy.’ I say, ’Wait a minute, I’m able to say exactly what I think,” Romero told the AP. “I’m able to talk about, comment about, take snapshots of what’s going on at the time. I don’t feel trapped. I feel this is my way of being able to express myself.”

The third in the Romero’s zombie series, 1985′s “Day of the Dead,” was a critical and commercial failure. There wouldn’t be another “Dead” film for two decades.

“Land of the Dead” in 2005 was the most star-packed of the bunch — the cast included Dennis Hooper, John Leguizamo, Asia Argento and Simon Baker. Two years later came “Diary of the Dead,” another box-office failure.

There were other movies interspersed with the “Dead” films, including “The Crazies” (1973), “Martin” (1977), “Creepshow” (1982), “Monkey Shines” (1988) and “The Dark Half” (1993). There also was 1981′s “Knightriders,” Romero’s take on the Arthurian legend featuring motorcycling jousters. Some were moderately successful, others box-office flops.

George Andrew Romero was born on Feb. 4, 1940, in New York City. He grew up in the Bronx, and he was a fan of horror comics and movies in the pre-VCR era.

“I grew up at the Loews American in the Bronx,” he wrote in an issue of the British Film Institute’s Sight and Sound magazine in 2002.

His favorite film was Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s “The Tales of Hoffman,” based on Jacques Offenbach’s opera. It was, he once wrote, “the one movie that made me want to make movies.”

He spoke fondly of traveling to Manhattan to rent a 16mm version of the film from a distribution house. When the film was unavailable, Romero said, it was because another “kid” had rented it — Martin Scorsese.

Romero graduated from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh in 1960. He learned the movie business working on the sets of movies and “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood,” which was shot in Pittsburgh.

The city became Romero’s home and many of his films were set in western Pennsylvania. “Dawn of the Dead” was filmed in suburban Monroeville Mall, which has since become a popular destination for his fans.

92 | July 16, 2017 10:33 pm

I’ve been crating a lot at work, and got a decent pair of kneepads.

Makes a huge difference.

I have some. Used them last weekend while putting down vinyl flooring. That really didn’t bother me.

I didn’t really think I needed them for this. I was up and down all day, not crawling around on the floor for hours.

93 | July 16, 2017 10:55 pm

McCain’s Surgery May Be More Serious Than Thought, Experts Say

Surprise, surprise,surprise! Who didn’t see that coming?

94 | July 16, 2017 10:57 pm

mccain is far more ill that they are letting on

These people just cannot tell the truth. It’s in their nature to obfuscate and conceal.

Also makes one wonder if some of his recent behavior has been exacerbated by whatever is wrong here.

95 | July 16, 2017 11:01 pm

we are getting lied to, again.

On something for which the truth is going to have to come out in short order. This is just symptomatic of the elitist bubble, similar to the Politburo that just could not bring itself to admit that any of its members were unwell until they assumed room temperature, and it sometimes took a long time and numerous missed Party events before that fact was even acknowledged. Pure ruling class BS. McCain isn’t so important that the truth cannot be told.

96 | July 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Governor is a Republican — Steve Ducey. Kind of a middle of the road, “darned glad to meet you” kind of politician. Should be interesting to see who gets appointed.

/Would love to see Kelley Ward appointed after the political hit job McCain did on her.

97 | July 16, 2017 11:09 pm

But the person behind the counter probably does…

Yeah, if a Masters in Left-handed Queer Lesbian Transgender Studies counts as a degree.

98 | July 16, 2017 11:15 pm

That’s what I was thinking, too

99 | July 17, 2017 1:08 am

That’s not with RocketLabs by any chance mate?

Well if your job doesn’t pan out I’d suggest that you throw your CV into RocketLabsUSA in the first inst. All of the fabrication and orbital operations happen in NZ however with RocketLabsNZ. Manufacture and fabrication in Auckland and the Private RocketLabs launch pad is on the Mahia Peninsular about 400 Km south of Auckland. Auckland is one of the top 10 most lovable cities in the world. RocketLabs has staff from all over the world.

Think about it mate.

100 | July 17, 2017 1:14 am

There you go dorian:-

101 | July 17, 2017 1:16 am

Auckland is one of the top 10 most lovable cities in the world

Thanks predictive text. You’ve done it again!

That should read:- Auckland is one of the top 10 most liveable cities in the world

102 | July 17, 2017 1:26 am

It looks as if some of the manufacture is also being done in Huntington Beach in CA as well. They look as if they are 3D printing some Ruterford engines in CA as well as Auckland. Each engines takes about a week to 3D print in Titanium and each vehicle needs 10. Nine atmospheric engines and one exo-atsmospheric engine.

The Turbo pumps by the bye are powered not by complex plumbing heavy turbines but by battery powered electric motors. A very innovative design and you get 150-250 Kg into a low Earth orbit for just $5 million bucks. The company is very into nano-satellite swarms and the like.

103 | July 17, 2017 3:20 am

The guts on the whole shebang :-

More popcorn as the DNC self destructs as the investigations beginning to pick at the DNC dirty tricks scab.

Karma is a real bitch!

103. 104 | July 17, 2017 7:36 am

Which $ currency: US, AU or NZ? 😎

104. 105 | July 17, 2017 10:53 am

Interesting you should say that. Rush Limbaugh said it too – that it used to be the democrats feeding the liberal media the talking points. Now it’s apparently the other way around.

106 | July 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Local TV newscasts are in trouble as audiences disappear

Fewer people are watching the local news, according to numbers from Pew. In fact, the three most important time slots—morning, early evening, and late night—for NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox local affiliate channels have all seen a steady decline since 2007. Late-night newscasts have been hit the hardest, dropping 31%. Meanwhile, early evening news dropped 19% and morning 12%.

STOP. BEING. PARTISAN. HACKS.

107 | July 17, 2017 9:17 pm

STOP. BEING. PARTISAN. HACKS.

WE.ARE.TIRED.OF.IT