• Saturday Lecture Series: Two Scotsmen Invent Modernity

Filed under Academia, History, saturday lecture series at August 19th, 2017 - 7:43 am

No, it isn’t a joke.

Enjoy the read, sorry about the drive by lecture.

Comments

133 Responses to “Saturday Lecture Series: Two Scotsmen Invent Modernity”

1 | August 19, 2017 8:47 am

I can’t imagine a friendship between Hume and Rousseau. Hume was a decent human being, Rousseau was anything but.

2 | August 19, 2017 9:24 am

Charlottesville Mayor: Car Attack Shows Need To Limit Concealed Carry

I agree. People should not be allowed to carry cars concealed

3. 3 | August 19, 2017 10:01 am

I am going to have to find my copy of Hume and re-read it. *tosses it on the TBRR pile*

4 | August 19, 2017 10:21 am

PaladinPhil wrote:

He was an interesting guy. The way he lived his life would be impossible for anyone today. He just ‘decided’ to be a ‘scholar’ (I forget if he was supposed to go into the law or the church) so he just dug in, and started reading. For. Years. He must have lived on bread and water. But when he came up for air, he had pretty much deconstructed the western psyche/culture and re-assembled it. Actually, his ‘friendship’ with Rousseau is not all that surprising as they both pushed boundaries, it’s just that Rousseau’s were entirely self-serving and Hume’s were honest intellectual endeavors. Of all the writers I had to study, Hume is one of the few I’d like to actually sit down with and talk about just – you know – ‘stuff’.

5 | August 19, 2017 12:13 pm

@ WZ
      Try to wrap your head around this CNN headline and story.
      This is Orwellian DoubleThink.

6 | August 19, 2017 1:37 pm

To be fair, CNN is simply relaying Antifa’s propaganda, not interpreting it.

7 | August 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Charlottesville Mayor: Car Attack Shows Need To Limit Concealed Carry

I agree. People should not be allowed to carry cars concealed

Good god, I’m so sick of this. For these totalitarian jackasses everything is a need to limit concealed carry. “I stubbed my toe this morning, that shows a need to limit concealed carry.” His logic is non-existent in this. His arguments are those of a two year old. In fact, the incident proves that concealed carry is not a danger to others. There were plenty of armed people and no one got shot, so his argument is actually backwards and proven so.

8 | August 19, 2017 2:22 pm

‘Nuff said.

9 | August 19, 2017 3:22 pm

To be fair, CNN is simply relaying Antifa’s propaganda, not interpreting it.

Could be, but their headline seems like an assent

10 | August 19, 2017 3:41 pm

@ Town Hall
      This MSNBC host does everything she can to get this grieving mother to smear Trump.
      I love it when she says”I am not trying to make this political.”

12 | August 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Formally recognize AntiFa as a terrorist organization

13 | August 19, 2017 4:59 pm

@ Daily Caller
      Trumps remarks about Charlottesville poll well.

13. 14 | August 19, 2017 5:19 pm

The USC mascot ‘Traveler’ is politically incorrect because the horses’ name, Traveler, is similar to Robert E Lee’s horse, Traveller.

I PRAY this is a joke.

14. 15 | August 19, 2017 5:37 pm

@ Town Hall
      I love it when she says”I am not trying to make this political.”

Go figure, apparently mom is just smart enough to realize that attacking Trump will draw attention to the fact that he daughter was one of the violence Antifa assholes.

As near as I can tell, Heather Heyer’s is America’s newest Saint Pancake.

16 | August 19, 2017 5:48 pm

That could well be true. Still I give the mother high marks for not taking the bait.

17 | August 19, 2017 5:59 pm

@ Daily Caller
      Trumps remarks about Charlottesville poll well.

uh, nearly half is less than half

17. darkwords
      18 | August 19, 2017 6:17 pm

If a business has to bake a cake for an LGBT customer should a socialmedia business be forced to keep their communication products available to the alt-right?

19 | August 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Dem Says Trump May Have ‘Early Stage Dementia,’ Could Be Removed From Office

A House Democrat called on the vice president and the Cabinet to force President Trump to undergo a mental evaluation, demanding that they see whether he’s incapacitated and needs to be suspended from office under the 25th Amendment.

Rep. Zoe Lofgren, California Democrat, wondered whether Mr. Trump may have dementia or whether the “stress of office aggravated a mental illness crippling impulse control.”

“Is the president mentally and emotionally stable?” she wondered in a press release issued by her office.

20 | August 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Can we have Maxine Waters head up that committee?

20. 21 | August 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Rep. Lofgren first. And Waters.

22 | August 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Rep. Lofgren first. And Waters.

Pelosi first

23 | August 19, 2017 8:11 pm

@ Daily Caller
      Trumps remarks about Charlottesville poll well.

uh, nearly half is less than half

True, but it polls better than the alternative.

23. 24 | August 19, 2017 8:32 pm

I’m sure this has been asked, but why is the left throwing a fit NOW over Confederate statues? At least some are claiming it’s because they were traitors, but shouldn’t this have been an issue 50 years ago?

25 | August 19, 2017 8:40 pm

Because they wouldn’t have got any political/cultural support, that’s why.

They’re getting it now because the so-called ‘conservatives’ and nevertrumpers have given them open-field running because they can say it all reflects on Trump. They’ve got this idea that these people can take out Trump and things will go back to they way they were.

They are insane. For evil to triumph, all that is needed is that good men do nothing. And there are a lot of men who think of themselves as good who think the left is just a useful tool in this time/place.

Kurt Schlicter said it. “You need to understand something. Trump is not our last chance. Trump is your last chance”

This people are sowing the wind and they will reap the fucking whirlwind.

26 | August 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Given the non-stop screaming from the media about this and the side that the media has taken, I take 49% as a victory. Especially when you have the undecideds who make those who oppose Trump less than those who support.

27 | August 19, 2017 8:57 pm

The horrors! It’s a statue in the South, it has to be a Confederate. Deface it!

28 | August 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Anyone know where I can buy around 25-30 tons of Bermuda Black Jack turf seed?

It’s apparently fairly common in the SE of the US.

Seriously!

28. 30 | August 19, 2017 9:02 pm

I think I saw something about a statue of Joan of Arc being vandalized too. Someone on a horse has to be a Confederate.

31 | August 19, 2017 9:05 pm

And, a Catholic saint to boot. Double horrors.

32 | August 19, 2017 9:05 pm

what would be the shipping cost on 30 tons of grass seed?

31. 33 | August 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Well she is white.

34 | August 19, 2017 9:07 pm

A whole lot of lamb chops.

36 | August 19, 2017 9:12 pm

But, a cultured European who wasn’t a slave owner.

Yet, they burned her for her white privileged status or something.

So much discononsence these days with the youngsters. And, some can’t even figure out which bathroom to enter in public. Sheesh.

37 | August 19, 2017 9:16 pm

This is happening now, exactly because Trump is President. They have to keep the lie going that he was somehow magically elected by a hidden conspiracy of racist “alt-right” lunatics. So, they demand the removal of these statues and brand everyone who opposes them as racist “alt-right”, thus creating their imaginary enemy for the media to trot out, and thus because Trump doesn’t decry them, he is also racist and thus illegitimate as President.

39 | August 19, 2017 9:38 pm

I saw that article this morning on ?Ace’s place?

Nevertheless, the retail market is shifting quickly.

I was one of a few stores in Texas last year that signed on with my Mothersip company to ship goods out my back door, via Amazon and their website, for folks who want to shop online only. It cut into my gross margin, but moved items that I might not be able to with foot traffic.

This year, more stores signed up to ship goods out of their backdoor in Houston. Damn!

40 | August 19, 2017 9:43 pm

cool game coming out in feb
      based on real events in the 1400’s

41 | August 19, 2017 9:44 pm

times, they are a changin

42 | August 19, 2017 9:45 pm

good point, thanks, I needed that.

43 | August 19, 2017 9:48 pm

IIRC it was in New Orleans, too, which is even sadder/funnier. She was French for Christ’s sake – and Catholic, too! You’d think NOLA people would have a clue.

44 | August 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Interesting day today…

Had lunch with two good friends. In a Mongolian restaurant.

I has octopus just to be an asshole and to scare my dinner dates, and basically act like an idiot.

One friend was in her early 50s the other woman was 21.

The 21 year old is really smart, so bright she makes me feel stupid.

Well the dinner conversation went towards nuclear weapons and North Korea. And obviously as I am 59 and one lady was in her 50s we talked about “DUCK AND COVER”

Then the conversation went to current events and Confederates and statues and protests..

The 21 year old woman at the table asked “What is a Confederate?”

I know her, I know for a fact she would never skip a lesson in high school.

It seems to me that the most traumatic event in the formation of the USA as we know it is not mentioned in school.

Cannot wait until I meet that young woman again so we can discuss American history. LOL she can help me with my citizenship test.

45 | August 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Examples. A single contract, with a single company, in one single state, is a deal recently made between Texas and Ireland for LNG. One contract worth €338 million euros, or almost $400 million dollars. (LINK) That’s just one deal in the energy sector; with one company. There are hundreds of such deals ongoing.

I think I saw/heard something the other day about businesses bitching about the increased exports because they are afraid it would make their domestic supply more expensive. I don’t know if the concern is warranted or not, I thought I’d just note it here.

46 | August 19, 2017 9:53 pm

OMG, I Forgot my kid asked that question. I was dumbfounded.

47 | August 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Possum wrote:

The 21 year old woman at the table asked “What is a Confederate?”

where in the U.S. is she from? NYC? Los Angeles?

This was years ago, but the first time we met our future daughter-in-law, she asked us what a ‘Quaker’ is.

44. 48 | August 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Possum wrote:

The 21 year old is really smart, so bright she makes me feel stupid.

Cough cough…. Won’t say a word… cough cough…

49 | August 19, 2017 9:57 pm

She was born in LA

50 | August 19, 2017 9:58 pm

OMG, I Forgot my kid asked that question. I was dumbfounded.

Your kid, my friend. But it really exposed a serious gap in her education. And not her fault.

51 | August 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Yeah ok, we all know compared to me a dog turd is smarter…

52 | August 19, 2017 10:03 pm

TIL that the official name for birdstrike remains (what’s left behind when birds get sucked into an airplane’s engines) is “snarge”

53 | August 19, 2017 10:04 pm

I meant to ask you today about Jacobins history, or something like that.

Bookmark that thought for next week’s history lesson.

50. 54 | August 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Houston, from what I understand, is a “hotspot” just like San Franfreakshow!

55 | August 19, 2017 10:07 pm

@ Deplorable Macker:
      Well, not really. The ‘burbs are pretty damn conservative compared to Frisch.

I’ve lived in both places.

56 | August 19, 2017 10:08 pm

*Frisco*

Autocorrect.

57 | August 19, 2017 10:09 pm

10 minutes ago a commenter on Instapundit noted that Gab is under an DDOS attack, has been for about an hour.

This is not coincidence.

58 | August 19, 2017 10:11 pm

really? I thought it was ‘nothing’

59 | August 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Ok…

But Jacobin are French mon petite choux

( Calo likes it when I whisper french in her ear. I just called her a little cabbage .)

60 | August 19, 2017 10:12 pm

She was born in LA

ok, now I’m not surprised

61 | August 19, 2017 10:13 pm

How are their history related to the Scots?

62 | August 19, 2017 10:15 pm

I blame Dorian for her poor history education in LA.

63 | August 19, 2017 10:15 pm

She was born in LA

ok, now I’m not surprised

LOL she is getting a real education now… She almost knows more F words than me. and she does it in an “English: accent.

64 | August 19, 2017 10:17 pm

I dunno!!!!!!!

LOL

Hey you got Google on your expensive iPhone?

65 | August 19, 2017 10:22 pm

This is not coincidence.

they were also attacked earlier today as well

66 | August 19, 2017 10:24 pm

This is not coincidence.

they were also attacked earlier today as well

The left is busy today. Today Google used their new “algorithms” that detect offensive material to ban a video before it ever aired on youtube this afternoon.

67 | August 19, 2017 10:26 pm

I’ve found duckduckgo is pretty good and I’ve deleted my browsing history from google. fuck them.

68 | August 19, 2017 10:27 pm

oh, I meant to ask – is there an alternative platform to youtube?

69 | August 19, 2017 10:30 pm

oh, I meant to ask – is there an alternative platform to youtube?

Not yet. There have been a couple but none have really worked right. The one that everyone thinks might do it now is Reddit Video.

66. 70 | August 19, 2017 10:31 pm

How are their history related to the Scots?

Jacobite rising of 1745

Charles Edward Stuart grandson of King James II (Exiled in France in 1689) led an attempt to reclaim the throne his grandfather had been deposed of in 1745. His supporters were French Jacobite’s and Scottish Clansmen.

That’s the connection, Charles like his grandfather and father had lived in France in Exile. The Jacobite’s were Catholic extremists who wanted to see England and Scotland brought back under Catholic rule, so they threw in with Charles.

67. 71 | August 19, 2017 10:33 pm

I blame Dorian for her poor history education in LA.

But??? I don’t live in LA… How can it be my fault?

72 | August 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Two weeks ago….

Old lady in the front passenger seat asks young lady in driver seat why despite the fact they both have iPhone 6 the nice GPS voices were different.

Driver said “I switched mine to English”

I was in the back seat and mine was talking android and she said to me we were fucking lost..

Eventrually we found the Vietnamese place but…. moral of story is all these fancy apps rely on the same unreliable data.

73 | August 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Ok, you have now inherited my kid with that bit of history.

Please return me someone who knows the history of the Civil War.

74 | August 19, 2017 10:39 pm

I resent the old lady label.

I like to think of myself as well seasoned, with a bit of spice.

75 | August 19, 2017 10:39 pm

Ok, you have now inherited my kid with that bit of history.

Please return me someone who knows the history of the Civil War.

I have a feeling that 1776 was not about taxes but slavery.

72. 76 | August 19, 2017 10:40 pm

Ok, you have now inherited my kid with that bit of history.

Please return me someone who knows the history of the Civil War.

Nope, sorry, you have apparently mistaken me for my late father. He was the History Professor (University of Washington at Seattle).

77 | August 19, 2017 10:41 pm

Okay, I think I need to have my mother find my father’s notes. She was talking to a couple authors over the weekend and they think my dad’s book on the Dull Knife battle would have been a pretty successful book. If he had ever written it. I should gather his notes and see if there is anything there. Hope they didn’t get lost in a move.

78 | August 19, 2017 10:42 pm

I resent the old lady label.

I like to think of myself as well seasoned, with a bit of spice.

Apart we are both old…. and well seasoned. we have a bit of spice. Together we are like teenagers buddy.

79 | August 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Bah, I was born at U of W hospital. I am a Husky.

80 | August 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Glad to see you doing OK, despite this past year’s hurdles.

I’m rooting for you, Dorian. You deserve a break from the doom and gloom.

81 | August 19, 2017 10:57 pm

And here’s how 4Chan kicks it up

“HtSMUWLYB/ general Anonymous (ID: x4KK3VCO) 08/19/17(Sat)18:14:51 No.138262805 [Reply]▶>>138283436
      Here is how we kick off the second american civil war without even leaving our houses.

Today has shown that 100 free speech protester in a gazebo can cause mass chaos simply by existing. If you want to cause mass chaos and unrest you just have antifa do it for you. And here is how.

1. /Pol/ get permits in all cities with a population of over 1 million, calling it a free speech/ Trump supporting demonstration.

2. Make sure all demonstration are set on the same day.

3. Make sure antifa is fully aware of these protest.

4. Antifa shows up and completely destroys every major city in the country.

5. Congrats, we just started the second civil war without even leaving our computers.

4chan greatest achievement since Chris Chan.”

82 | August 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Police, Citizens Guard Corinth, MS Confederate Statue After Online Threat

Corinth police officers are guarding the Confederate monument that sits in front of Alcorn County Courthouse.

The monument honors William Rogers, a colonel in the Confederate army. Rogers also practiced medicine and law.

Corinth Police Department said officers were alerted to an online threat that said people would be tearing the monument down on Friday afternoon. The threat also called for the removal of 10 other statues across the south by 5 p.m.

After the deadly white supremacist rally in Virginia, pushes to remove Confederate monuments have grown. Various cities throughout the south, including Memphis, are discussing the legality of removing the monuments.

A small crowd of people stayed around the statue all day, including Wade Sockwell, who drove 40 miles from Alabama.

“I want preservation of history, all good and all bad of history,” Sockwell said.

Police and sheriff’s deputies stood guard, putting a barrier around the statue.

“We are taking that threat seriously,” said Corinth Police Chief Ralph Dance. “We’re going to protect our property the city and county people paid for. We’re not going to let outsiders come in here and destroy our community.”

Citizens stood alongside law enforcement, not inspired by hate they say, but inspired to protect what they believe is history that deserves to be publicly displayed.

“Somebody tries to take it down, we will defend it,” said Corinth resident Chris Grimes. “Hopefully not violently, we don’t want to be violent.”

83 | August 19, 2017 11:04 pm

4. Antifa shows up and completely destroys every major city in the country.

yeah, I think there’s a slight over-estimation of antifa’s numbers and capabilities there.

84 | August 19, 2017 11:04 pm

What makes you think it was done by “NOLA people”?

Although it’s also true that a large portion of said “people” are decidedly non-French. I rather doubt that they’re any better-educated than their brethren elsewhere in the US.

85 | August 19, 2017 11:06 pm

New plan: Every time they tear down a Confederate monument, replace it with a 10 Commandments one.

Should drive the Left absolutely crazy

86 | August 19, 2017 11:12 pm

What makes you think it was done by “NOLA people”?

point taken

87 | August 19, 2017 11:22 pm

This is heartening.

RNC raises millions more than DNC in July

The DNC raised just $3.8 million in July, compared to the $10.2 million raised by the RNC in the same month. While the GOP has no debt, the DNC added slightly to its debt in July, which now sits at $3.4 million.

88 | August 19, 2017 11:25 pm

the left is waaay overplaying their hand

85. 89 | August 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Shredded tweet?

90 | August 19, 2017 11:30 pm

Shredded tweet?

91 | August 19, 2017 11:32 pm

the left is waaay overplaying their hand

I hope you’re right. I just don’t know at what point we’ll have reached by the time everyone says ENOUGH! How much damage will have been done?

92 | August 19, 2017 11:34 pm

Shredded tweet?

well done!

93 | August 19, 2017 11:38 pm

I’m going to bed. nite.

94 | August 20, 2017 3:02 am

Especially for Coldwarrior and associated Rugby followers.

The First match in the Aust / NZ Bledeslowe Cup series 2017
      For those who just want to see the Haka:-

A game of two halves.

1st. Half the All Blacks cutting loose BIGLY

2nd Half the Wallabies get fed raw meat at half time and come roaring back

Enjoy Mate!

95 | August 20, 2017 7:34 am

and so it begins

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The United States on Friday formally launched an investigation into China’s alleged theft of U.S. intellectual property, a widely expected move following a call from President Donald Trump earlier this week to determine whether a probe was needed.

The probe is the administration’s first direct measure against Chinese trade practices, which the White House and U.S. business groups say are bruising American industry.

“After consulting with stakeholders and other government agencies, I have determined that these critical issues merit a thorough investigation,” U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, the nation’s top trade negotiator, said in a statement.

Trump repeatedly railed against Chinese trade practices on the campaign trail, but as president he had not taken significant action until this week.

China had rebuffed attempts by previous American presidents to take action against its IP practices. Administration officials have said that China’s theft of U.S. intellectual property could amount to as much as $600 million.

The probe will likely further complicate the U.S. relationship with China, the country’s largest trading partner. The Trump administration has been pressing Beijing to take steps to encourage North Korea to curb its nuclear and missile programs.

96 | August 20, 2017 7:40 am

i wont bother trying to correct sundance over there, sometimes the joint loks a little too much like the lgf hero worship of days past.

that said, sundance is dead stone wrong in this statement:

The GDP (Gross Domestic Product) is simply the sum total of all goods and services made, manufactured and delivered in the U.S.A. minus the total value of our imported goods.

i dont feel like getting into a war with the ‘true believers’ but seriously, this is an econ 101 error. gdp minus imports equals a measure that is not relevant to anything but the ratio of gdp to imports…which i’m not sure means anything.

GDP represents the monetary value of all goods and services produced within a nation’s geographic borders over a specified period of time. it has nothing to do with imports. in fact what he is describing i’m not sure is even a useful economic measure. this is an econ 101 first se,ester quiz error…they don’t teach economics in school for a reason…

97 | August 20, 2017 7:49 am

cheers! i’ll try to watch that at work tonight if its slow there

98 | August 20, 2017 8:56 am

95. 99 | August 20, 2017 9:17 am

Good morning Voodoo man…

97. 101 | August 20, 2017 10:44 am

We have to vote for her because she’s a) a woman and b) a minority, otherwise we’re both sexist AND racist.

102 | August 20, 2017 11:10 am

BOMBSHELL: New evidence suggests Charlottesville was a complete SET-UP

At least one law enforcement officer in Charlottesville, VA has come forward to clear his conscience and reveal the truth — or at least his version of it — that what went down in the city was not only condoned by city governance but was intentional, orchestrated and may have been planned as long ago as May.

The as-yet unidentified police officer has said that the Charlottesville P.D. were specifically instructed to bring the radical left and right wing groups together to instigate violence and then to told to “stand down” once violence ensued in a deliberate effort to ignite a race riot. Hear his words:

99. 103 | August 20, 2017 1:06 pm

I’d want to see some evidence, but I wouldn’t be shocked.

100. 104 | August 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Boycott all $1, $20, $50 & $100 bills. They depict slave owners. Please send them to me & I will see they are properly disposed of.

105 | August 20, 2017 3:13 pm

IT staffers may have compromised sensitive data to foreign intelligence

Federal authorities are investigating whether sensitive data was stolen from congressional offices by several Pakistani-American tech staffers and sold to Pakistani or Russian intelligence, knowledgeable sources say.

What started out 16 months ago as a scandal involving the alleged theft of computer equipment from Congress has turned into a national-security investigation involving FBI surveillance of the suspects.

Investigators now suspect that sensitive US government data — possibly including classified information — could have been compromised and may have been sold to hostile foreign governments that could use it to blackmail members of Congress or even put their lives at risk.

“This is a massive, massive scandal,” a senior US official familiar with the widening probe told The Post.

The US Attorney’s Office in Washington has taken possession of a laptop issued to Awan from Wasserman Schultz’s office, according to the sources, and she has reportedly retained counsel.

Earlier this year, she badgered the Capitol Police chief to return the laptop to her, even threatening him with “consequences.”

The congresswoman could not be reached for comment, but she recently told a local paper that scrutiny of her Muslim aide was motivated by “racial and ethnic profiling.”

Awan had access to Wasserman Schultz’s e-mails at both Congress and the DNC, where he had been given the password to her iPad. After DNC e-mails and research files were stolen during the presidential election, Wasserman Schultz reportedly refused to turn over the server to the FBI and instead called in a private firm to investigate and ID the hackers. The firm blamed the Russian government, while admitting, “We don’t have hard evidence.” The corrupted DNC server, held in storage, still has not been examined by the FBI.

Wasserman Schultz denies the DNC turned down the FBI’s assistance or that her congressional or DNC e-mails were compromised by Awan.

“This whole investigation pivots off Debbie Wasserman Schultz,” the official said.

“It’s clear that large bytes of data were moved off the secure network,” said another source close to the investigation, adding that Awan and the other four staffers under investigation had “full and complete access” to lawmakers’ e-mails, calendars, schedules, hearing notes, meeting notes and memos and other sensitive information.

Investigators are trying to determine if any classified information was compromised. Although the network that was breached is an unclassified system, it’s possible that members or staff cleared to handle classified information inadvertently sent such information in e-mails after getting classified briefings, sources believe.

“Logic dictates that sensitive data was compromised,” the senior official speculated. “An accused criminal with close ties to Pakistan had full and complete control over data that went out over the network.”

106 | August 20, 2017 3:39 pm

IT staffers may have compromised sensitive data to foreign intelligence

Every damn congress creature that continued to use these scum after the first info came out needs to be sitting in a cell next to them when this is done. Hell, throw The Deb in next to them too.

103. 107 | August 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Snicker snicker, I sooo stole that and twitted it. https://twitter.com/OscarWildeGrey/status/899369042313527296

108 | August 20, 2017 4:49 pm

I remember reading in “House to House”, which is about the 1st battle for Fallujeh, that when we cleared houses of the enemy, the places were full of used syringes, etc.

The drug that turns ISIS into ‘unforgiving killing machines’

ISIS fighters have been using a drug called Captagon, dubbed “chemical courage,” to stay alert in battle.
      []
      Captagon is a psychostimulant which is made of a combination of amphetamine and theophylline.

It is just one brand name of a group of drugs known as Fenethylline.

The drug came into the mainstream in 1961 and was used for around 25 years as a milder alternative to amphetamines.

It was used to treat kids with ADHD and, less commonly, for narcolepsy and depression.

Unlike amphetamines, Captagon does not increase the patient’s blood pressure – meaning it could be used to treat those with cardiovascular conditions.
      However, it is highly addictive – and became illegal in most countries in 1986.
      []

There’s more in the article about where a lot of it is coming from – The Majic Kingdom

109 | August 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Long lost USS Indianapolis wreckage discovered by Paul Allen crew

Wreckage from the USS Indianapolis, which sank 72 years ago after being torpedoed during World War II, was found in the Philippine Sea by the expedition crew of billionaire Paul Allen.

The Indianapolis was hit by the Japanese on July 30, 1945 and sank in only 12 minutes, leading to the greatest single loss of life at sea in the Navy’s history. Of 1,196 crew aboard the ship, only 317 survived.

Published August 19, 2017
      Fox News

uss indianapolis twitter pic

(Paul Allen/Twitter)

The men who didn’t go down with the ship faced dehydration, saltwater poisoning and shark-infested waters.

“To be able to honor the brave men of the USS Indianapolis and their families through the discovery of a ship that played such a significant role during World War II is truly humbling,” Allen said in a statement.

Prior to being attacked, the Indianapolis had delivered components of one of the two nuclear weapons that were later dropped on Japan.

“For more than two decades I’ve been working with survivors. To a man, they have longed for the day when their ship would be found, solving their final mystery,” Captain William Toti, retired, spokesperson for the survivors of the USS Indianapolis told PaulAllen.com.

Previous Allen-led expeditions have resulted in the discovery of the Japanese battleship Musashi and the Italian WWII destroyer Artigliere.

The 16-person team on Allen’s ship will continue to survey the full site and will conduct a live tour of the wreckage in the coming weeks.

Movie fans may recall that the Indianapolis was the ship about which fictional Capt. Quint (Robert Shaw) tells a harrowing tale in the 1975 film “Jaws.”

“So, 1,100 men went in the water, 316 men come out,” he says. “The sharks took the rest.”

110 | August 20, 2017 8:34 pm

WTF is wrong with our navy?

USS John McCain collides with merchant ship east of Singapore

111 | August 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Speaking of the Navy, The Last Ship returns tonight with 2 new episodes. TNT at 9 eastern

112 | August 20, 2017 8:39 pm

WTF is wrong with our navy?

USS John McCain collides with merchant ship east of Singapore

Not just a merchant ship. A friggin’ oil tanker

113 | August 20, 2017 8:41 pm

I’ll have to record it. Game of Thrones is on. Last Ship is on ABC?

114 | August 20, 2017 8:42 pm

TNT

115 | August 20, 2017 8:43 pm

I’ll have to record it. Game of Thrones is on. Last Ship is on ABC?

oh you just said tnt sorry

116 | August 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Not just a merchant ship. A friggin’ oil tanker

like I said, wtf is wrong with our navy? the ocean is a big place last time I checked. The Captain of the Fitzgerald has been relieved.

117 | August 20, 2017 8:50 pm

WTF is wrong with our navy?

USS John McCain collides with merchant ship east of Singapore

More … asleep at the wheel …AGAIN.

What is the drugs policy aboard?

“No Ask No Tell” I assume

118 | August 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Not just a merchant ship. A friggin’ oil tanker

Off Singapore the Ocean is NOT BIG . It’s like driving on the I-95 or the Californian I- 405 in peak hour traffic.
      The Straites of Malacca looks REALLY scary from the air. FULL and I do mean FULL of shipping of all types with a sprinkling of fishermen / pirates plying their trade out of dozens of tiny islands and atolls.

Goofing off on the bridge and not keeping a VERY close watch is asking for trouble in the straits.

119 | August 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Obviously the degree of Helmsmenship in the USN seems to be a wee bit lacking

116. 121 | August 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Captain, OOD, radar operator (or sonar), lookouts…

117. 122 | August 20, 2017 10:07 pm

like I said, wtf is wrong with our navy?

Really? Here’s a hint for you. Those collisions were not accidents. Figure it out.

123 | August 20, 2017 10:13 pm

A second collision is evidence that somebody has hacked the onboard systems, IMHO.

Once is amazing incompetence, twice is impossible.

124 | August 20, 2017 10:22 pm

You think the collisions are intentional.

To what end?

120. 125 | August 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Nope. There is a game of Chicken being played. The Chinese are using surrogates to ram US Navel Vessels in a game of plausible deniability gee it sure would be a shame if something happened to one of your ships cause, ya know the ocean really is dangerous here strategy to see if they can intimidate the US into withdrawing assertion of free unrestricted access and passage through the South China Sea.

126 | August 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Ah!

Makes sense.

122. 127 | August 20, 2017 10:41 pm

Of course we don’t dare fire on any of these approaching ships. But why aren’t they maneuvering out of the way? These aren’t ships that are going to be turning on a dime.

123. 128 | August 20, 2017 11:34 pm

Look at the when as well as the where these incidents are taking place.

129 | August 21, 2017 8:24 am

good morning! I’ve found what I want for Christmas. I’ll start a GoFundMe so you guys can pony up, m’kay?

Quadcopter with sniper rifle or grenade launcher

Also, I wondered why Trump felt in necessary to talk to the country about Afghanistan. Apparently, it’s something called an ‘Asian Strategy’ which sounds like Pakistan.

Shades of Laos and Cambodia

125. 130 | August 21, 2017 8:36 am

There is no problem in Afghanistan that half a dozen nukes would not cure.

131 | August 21, 2017 8:47 am

132 | August 21, 2017 8:56 am

There is no problem in Afghanistan that half a dozen nukes would not cure.

aw c’mon. It wouldn’t take THAT many

133 | August 21, 2017 9:02 am

here ya go dorian

Today the USS McCain collided a merchant vessel, marking the 4th incident in the past year at the Navy. The timeline is as follows:

8/19/2016 — USS Louisiana

5/09/2017 — USS Lake Champlain

6/17/2017 — USS Fitzgerald

8/21/2017 — USS McCain

These ships share similarities, they are all based in Yokosuka Naval Base, and the USS McCain & USS Fitzgerald are both part of Destroyer Squadron 15 and the Seventh Fleet.

While accidents and mistakes do happen, the number of collisions in the past year is extremely rare, and it is now within the realm of possibility that these accidents were not accidents. Both China and Russia have tested their cyber-warfare capabilities at sea with success.

Did China Hack the Seventh Fleet?