• USS Indianapolis Found

by Bunk X ( 114 Comments › )
    Filed under History, Military, Movies, U.S. Navy, World War II at August 27th, 2017 - 6:00 am

“That was the time I was most frightened, waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a life jacket again.” –Shark hunter Quint [Robert Shaw] in the 1975 film “Jaws.”

Quint was referring to the tragedy of the USS Indianapolis, torpedoed in 1945:

Recently the USS Indianapolis, missing for 72 years, has been found in the Philippine Sea approximately three and a half miles below the surface. Story w/ pics here.

Woody James was 23 at the time of the attack and lived to tell about it. His story of horror is very understated:

“Sunday, the 29th of July was a quiet day. The sea was runnin five or six feet waves, just a beautiful day out. Didn’t do too much, read a book, did a little tinkerin as usual. Had the 8:00 to 12:00 watch and just got off at midnight. A guy relieved me about a quarter to twelve. I went down through the galley and had a cup of coffee. Then went to my compartment and got a blanket off my bed and went back up on deck. I slept under the overhang on the first turret. My battle station was inside it so in case general quarters sounded, I slept underneath it. Just got laid down good, using my shoes for a pillow as usual and the first torpedo hit. I was up and down between the deck and the overhang of the turret like Yankee Doodle Dandy. And, I wondered, ‘what in the hell is goin on?’

I got out of my blanket and started to roll out from underneath the turret and the other torpedo hit. Another Yankee Doodle deal, all over the place. I started to walk forward to see what I could see and what I seen was about sixty-foot of the bow chopped off, completely gone. Within a minute and a half, maybe two minutes at the most the bow is startin to do down. It filled up with water that fast. Everything was open below deck and the water just flooded in and we were still under way, just scoopin water. Complete chaos, total and complete chaos all over the whole ship. Screams like you couldn’t believe and nobody knew what was goin on. The word got passed down, “ABANDON SHIP”! It was maybe five minutes and we were really down in the water so we proceeded to abandon ship.”

–Woody James

Read the rest of his ordeal here. It’s even scarier than Quint’s monologue.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

114 Responses to “USS Indianapolis Found”

1 | August 27, 2017 10:09 am

drone footage of Houston right now

reading Woody’s story, I wonder if the Navy could do the same today. It seems their navigation skills are less than optimal.

2 | August 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Calo just checked in. power back on for now, rain has slowed. she sent a pic showing water up to the top of a stop sign just a few blocks from one of her stores

3 | August 27, 2017 3:03 pm

LOL: ‘Shoot Selfies, Not Animals’ PETA Campaign Gets Hilariously Trolled by Hunters…

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 | August 27, 2017 3:06 pm

is she in need of an airdrop yet?

5 | August 27, 2017 3:25 pm

is she in need of an airdrop yet?

She is the most independent person I have ever met. Calo would eat the wallpaper in her home to stay alive rather than ask for any help at all.

7 | August 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Might need clean up help. I think the store will be a loss come tomorrow.

8 | August 27, 2017 3:32 pm

JEEZ!
      that is gonna suck
      insurance, lost inventory,

cleaning up flood mud is one of the worst jobs ever

8. 9 | August 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Damn. Sorry to hear that.

10 | August 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Might need clean up help. I think the store will be a loss come tomorrow.

As you probably guessed I am yours. tell me where to go and when

11 | August 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Well, we ain’t going anytime to Richmond/Rosenberg soon.I don’t think the Brazos River crested yet.

11. 12 | August 27, 2017 5:16 pm

A certain marsupial informed me that your daughter was missing,then as we were talking he got the word that she’d been found.
      Despair followed by relief in one phone call.

13 | August 27, 2017 5:27 pm

cleaning up flood mud is one of the worst jobs ever

yep

when we got hit, the fire dept came around and just blasted out as much as it could. after that it’s the mold, and the smell is…….

14 | August 27, 2017 5:38 pm

yup
      no other stench is quite like it

16 | August 27, 2017 7:15 pm

@ Bunk X:
      I was beside myself.

I don’t think I could handle another losss, again.

17 | August 27, 2017 7:21 pm

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has been named co-chair of the Climate Mayors, a group of 331 local leaders

did he and Nagin go to the same school?

18 | August 27, 2017 9:29 pm

@ Bunk X:
      I was beside myself.

I don’t think I could handle another losss, again.

She is safe

19 | August 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Real Time USGS Water Data for Texas

Lake and reservoir levels, stream flows, etc.

Might be useful

20 | August 27, 2017 11:24 pm

This is the one I watch

21 | August 28, 2017 12:03 am

From a Leftie publication but containing a few ‘home truths’.

China heading for the rocks with no reverse gear available.

It’s just a matter of when not if now!

Locally I was surprised by a very winsome Chinese lady with hundreds of millions in ‘filthy capitalist US greenbacks’ her back pocket looking for a ‘home’.

It seems that the ‘lady’ is a PLA member and she is looking for some place safe to stash all of the PLA’s ill gotten gains before the Chinese economic roof falls in.

‘We’ took her filthy money like any good capitalist running dog.

What sort of timeframe we now have to reap the benefits remain to be seen, before the golden dragon kicks off his economic mortal coil and rolls over onto his back ‘belly-up’.

22 | August 28, 2017 3:44 am

Can some kind soul please tell me the e-Mail addy for the website?

I have a form for Eaglesoars and will post it to the website’s e-mail and hopefully Cold warrior will onward post it to Eaglesoars e-Mail

Helppp !

23 | August 28, 2017 5:27 am

right hand column, just belo the ‘caast of characters’….

24 | August 28, 2017 5:40 am

just got up with my first cup of coffee and this was the first thing I saw and it started my day off just right

25 | August 28, 2017 5:41 am

the mayor of houston told residents NOT to evacuate and not to listen to ‘unofficial’ weather sources….think that bastard was trying to pull a nagan and have this storm be trump’s katrina?

it aint gonna work, trump will fight that, and win. unlike spineless georgie.

tht said, 50inches of rain? i cant get my mind around that. the most i have seen was 12 inches in 24 hours and that caused massive flooding.

26 | August 28, 2017 5:43 am

i have a very rare 7am shift….i dont do this time of the morning, evah!

#jetlag!

27 | August 28, 2017 5:44 am

break the law, get arrested…how novel.

28 | August 28, 2017 5:46 am

29 | August 28, 2017 5:57 am

…salt mines…

30 | August 28, 2017 6:19 am

Houston,…we have another problem…

There is a developing situation northwest of Houston with the Addicks and Barker reservoirs. Addicks dam and Barker dam are on the northwestern end of Houston. Combined, the Addicks and Barker reservoirs can hold 410,000 acre-feet of water.

Twenty inches of rain across Harris County adds up to about 1,894,980 acre-feet.

Most of Harris county is south east of these reservoirs, but levels there are getting very high and Addicks dam is an earthen structure subject to saturation-failure

32 | August 28, 2017 7:03 am

good morning

Going with the ‘keep it simple stupid’, I don’t think he’s that smart but instead found himself flummoxed with the prospect of the logistics of a mass evac so prayed to the Passover Gods.

Having said that, Houston is not high ground and anyone who needs a gov’t official to tell them if they should evac…………especially after NOLA/Katrina.

33 | August 28, 2017 7:21 am

morning eagle
      just about to take the girl to school
      so far, HS has been kind to her, she’s enjoying it

34 | August 28, 2017 7:24 am

and to be fair to the mayor, I have seen reports saying one response protocol was to NOT evacuate.
      because the last time they did do a mass evac, it didn’t go so well.

35 | August 28, 2017 7:27 am

The GOP is not only dead, they are an active political enemy entity.

36 | August 28, 2017 7:36 am

The GOP is not only dead, they are an active political enemy entity.

have you noticed that all SORTS of horror stories about Arpaio are starting to be told? He had swat teams that raided restaurants looking for illegals, one raid saw a family’s dog forced back into a house they (Arpaio’s people) had deliberately set on fire, etc.

I have a few questions about this.

1. Why is this the first time we’re hearing about this?

2. If ‘everybody’ at the local level knew about it why wasn’t it stopped? There are LOTS of gov’t officials at the state level who have the authority to stop nonsense like that.

3. Why was he always re-elected?

So, altho I have to admit the possibility that all this is true, I have good reasons for doubting it. And if it IS true, the problem isn’t just Arpaio, it’s all the gov’t officials that let him run rogue.

37 | August 28, 2017 9:53 am

morning eagle
      just about to take the girl to school
      so far, HS has been kind to her, she’s enjoying it

AACH! missed this post. Well, let’s hope this year she doesn’t have the same asshole AP math teacher who tells her to learn it on her own?

38 | August 28, 2017 10:25 am

Trump issues emergency declaration for Louisiana. If this goes to a diasater declararation whatever her does will
      be wrong. I don’t care if he wraps people in bubble wrap, flies them to DisneyWorld and puts the up at five star
      hotels,the meme will be”Trump hates black people.”

39 | August 28, 2017 11:33 am

has anyone seen anything about the 10-march from Charlottesville-to-DC against white supremacy that supposed to start today? I can’t find anything and it’s almost noon.

40 | August 28, 2017 3:40 pm

right hand column, just belo the ‘caast of characters’….

Gottcha!

Can you please onward post it to Eagles? I’ve been tardy for over a week now (buried in work) and the eagle lady must be thinking I have forgotten about it.

Thanks mate.

By the bye. Have you watched the Second Bledeslow Cup outing between the All Blacks and the Wallabies yet?

Someone fed the Wallabies raw meat and they were looking to fight and fight they did.

An amazing game of rugby with BOTH sides at their very best.

Just AMAZING

41 | August 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Oh yeah, her math teacher this year is a 20yr vet and knows how to teach math
      She can handle any math if it’s explained to her

42 | August 28, 2017 4:25 pm

The GOP is not only dead, they are an active political enemy entity.

I have a few questions about this.

1. Why is this the first time we’re hearing about this?

3. Why was he always re-elected?

Damn !

Another one has just realised that she is living inside a Dilbert simulation!

HEH!

40. 43 | August 28, 2017 4:48 pm

It’s Berkeley – apparently no one told the Junior Terrorist that her arrest was merely symbolic so that the TV cameras would think the Berkeley Police actually did something remotely resembling their jobs.

I was felled by a summer flu bug that turned the bottle of Nyquil into my new best friend. I only arose from my stupor twice – once to watch the Games of Thrones season finale and the first time to nearly kill the Football Savant Offspring for ordering the Mayweather fight…

Calo – if there is anything I can do to assist you let me know, although if you have eagles in your corner kicking ass and taking names, I doubt there’s much I can assist with. I’m happy to hear that your daughter is safe!

44 | August 28, 2017 4:58 pm

Cold:

Here is the video of one of the best games of Rugby football of all time.

Absolutely brilliant

Enjoy!

45 | August 28, 2017 5:00 pm

Cold should have an e-Mail by now with the Janes Form attached.

Apologies for taking so long to get it too you Eagles.

46 | August 28, 2017 5:34 pm

Houston update.

All of Calo’s family are safe and hopefully staying in place and just riding this one out. No point evacuating, because all roads are flooded. The fact that the rain is 72F means nobody is going to freeze to death.

I am however in serious difficulties. I live in a second floor apartment so flood water is not a worry. But. I just checked my supplies. I am running very low.

49 cans of beer
      21 cans Diet Dr Pepper
      12 eggs
      1 pound cheese
      33 assorted granola bars
      9 cans of tuna
      1 frozen three meat pizza
      3 pounds of oranges
      1 large melon
      1 pound of shrimp
      2 avocados
      12 frozen bagels.
      A bottle of water (why? what is it for? )

I should have bought more beer!!!!!!!!

47 | August 28, 2017 8:03 pm

1 frozen three meat pizza
      3 pounds of oranges
      1 large melon
      1 pound of shrimp
      2 avocados
      12 frozen bagels.
      A bottle of water (why? what is it for? )

I should have bought more beer!!!!!!!!

Let’s just say that we’ll be checking in on you again in about a fortnight or so.

Are you expecting house guests for a dinner party?

48 | August 28, 2017 8:05 pm

The bottle of water is for cleaning your hands! What else would you use water for?

46. Bordm
      49 | August 28, 2017 8:06 pm

Yep… you’re screwed….

I, on the other hand, planned ahead….
      I have
      2 cases of Yuengling
      1/2 gallon Single Malt Scotch
      1 gallon Tequila
      1/2 gallon Spiced Rum
      1/2 gallon Gin

…. I came down with tonsillitis and am on antibiotics…. Can’t touch a drop…..

50 | August 28, 2017 8:12 pm

@ Bordm:
      The Cajun Navy was in my Ft Bend neighborhood earlier.

Got no liquor, but have plenty of water.

48. Bordm
      51 | August 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Luckily, it stopped pouring here this morning and the water level has receded a few feet. Just waiting to see what happens next.

52 | August 28, 2017 8:49 pm

Cold should have an e-Mail by now with the Janes Form attached.

Apologies for taking so long to get it too you Eagles.

forwarded and sent etc….

53 | August 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks Mate

Did you see the All Blacks Wallaby game.

OUTbloodySTANDING

Go Look

See above at #44

54 | August 28, 2017 9:52 pm

thanks Aussie! and CW, I’m busy tonite (and tired), will download tomorrow

55 | August 28, 2017 9:56 pm

What a pack of wusses! They are living in Western style hotels with maid service, flying Pilatus Porter aircraft with great power to weight ratios.

Sure the strips are a wee bit hairy but certainly no hairy-er than ANYTHING that I flew into in PNG (right next door). But I flew overloaded underpowered C-206 and they fly turbo-porters. I lived in a marota roofed native hut with woven walls and no windows, and under a mosquito net in ‘ malarial mosquito central’, and they ‘rough it by having to call up room service.

Brit tossers all!

HEH!

56 | August 28, 2017 10:03 pm

The pilot at 23:45 mark in the video is actually a Kiwi kid and a bloody good driver. The depth of bullshit with the Brits is awe inspiring!

HEH!

57 | August 28, 2017 10:42 pm

i am beating pentatonic scales and major chords into my head right now.

oh, yes. will watch with the girls tomorrow night!

58 | August 28, 2017 10:52 pm

well, that and i have to go play golf tomorrow morning with some more senior *ahem* italian gentlemen.

i take their money every week, they don’t mind because i give them free lessons. see, these guys buy the latest and greatest golf clubs out there every year, thousands of dollars. yet spend nothing on lessons. i have a 4 year old set of pings and spend a few hundred on lessons every year; probably 10 hours or so worth.

its a good time tho. these cats are a hoot.

59 | August 28, 2017 11:02 pm

and i am going out on the deck to enjoy one of these as i have four days off starting this evening. might enjoy it with a don julio reposado and watch the river go by.

yep…i’m there.

60 | August 29, 2017 12:12 am

Good for you mate!

HEH !

All I have to look forward to this afternoon is gym agony of HIIT training.

Still better to get it over with!

58. 61 | August 29, 2017 6:57 am

what. the. fuck.

Does that mean Houston wants to become a Chocolate City? Bastard!

62 | August 29, 2017 7:07 am

good morning! It is POURING rain here, the spawn of Harvey, and it’s going to do it all day, it looks like. So, I wondered how that 10-day march from Charlottesville-to-DC that was supposed to start yesterday is going. I found one article from the LA Times from 8 pm last nite.

only about 200 people, no info on who they actually are. And right now, they are soaking wet. Oh, and cold, it’s in the mid=60s, and not going to get much warmer.

tsk tsk

watching that Addack dam situation outside Houston. I don’t think Calo can get out

63 | August 29, 2017 7:25 am

morning.

and crap like this dosen’t help

64 | August 29, 2017 7:28 am

Huh.

this is the only thing I could find about the Dam situation
      from china media (i think)

65 | August 29, 2017 7:30 am

later
      off to take the girl to school
      the girl said hello

66 | August 29, 2017 7:52 am

morning.

and crap like this dosen’t help

I think they backed off that story

67 | August 29, 2017 8:06 am

later
      off to take the girl to school
      the girl said hello

hello sweetie have a good day, don’t punch anybody unless you have to

68 | August 29, 2017 8:13 am

going back to bed. cozy day

66. 70 | August 29, 2017 9:48 am

The whining is never going to end. We’re so fricking screwed.

71 | August 29, 2017 10:11 am

Addict dam has overtopped
      Officials are also worried about the 2nd.

72 | August 29, 2017 10:44 am

Calo just checked in, she’s still ok

73 | August 29, 2017 11:05 am

Charlottesville’s Statue Burqas Are A Sign Of Liberals’ Panic Over What They’ve Unleashed

yep

The Republican platform is simple. They are going to remind everyone that leftist protestors and pundits alike cast the specter of Nazism to vast oceans of voters and they have the video footage the screenshots and the writings to validate it. They are going to remind their core base and Trump’s voter base what the rhetoric was, that leftists living in cities think all of America between the outskirts of Philadelphia to the city limits of San Francisco is a vast ocean of Nazis.

74 | August 29, 2017 3:09 pm

this is the nixon landslide in 72, trump in 20!

75 | August 29, 2017 3:11 pm

BWAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

WINNING!!!!

76 | August 29, 2017 4:06 pm

BWAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

WINNING!!!!

Ah. this is that report that Jamie Rosen confirmed last nite – Trump yelling at people in his office “I want tariffs. I know there are some globalists in here who don’t agree, but I keep saying ‘bring me tariffs’ and all I get is IP (intellectual property). Now bring me tariffs” Steve Cohn was in that meeting cringing.

77 | August 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Instant Karma’s gonna get you – John Lennon

A visiting University of Tampa professor of sociology was fired Tuesday after he suggested in a tweet Sunday that Texans deserved Hurricane Harvey because of their support for President Donald Trump in the 2016 election. Storey tweeted Sunday: “I don’t believe in instant Karma but this kinda feels like it for Texas,” according to Campus Reform. “Hopefully this will help them realize the GOP doesn’t care about them.

and Kenneth Storey’s ass was instantly karmalized out the door.

78 | August 29, 2017 4:53 pm

there cannot be free trade between two countries where there are unequal labor, regulatory, and environmental, costs and where one side is massively subsidized by the home govt.

US-china

US-mexico is not what adam smith had in mind

79 | August 29, 2017 4:55 pm

loves me some karma!

80 | August 29, 2017 5:09 pm

The Consumer Confidence Index jumped nearly three points to 122.9, while the present situation index added nearly six points to 151.2, near a 16-year high. But the expectations index was up just a point to 104, after jumping more than three points in July.

how differently would this be written if obama were still president?

77. 81 | August 29, 2017 5:30 pm

You don’t understand. All this is because of Lord Barack’s brilliance, wisdom and compassion.
      /////
      I gotta stop saying things like that. It’s making me sick.

82 | August 29, 2017 5:42 pm

US-china

US-mexico is not what adam smith had in mind

yeah, china offering to cut it’s production doesn’t quite cut it (neither does the article, frankly, as it didn’t talk about what KIND/GRADE of steel so it doesn’t give a clear picture of where they were supposedly willing to compete

As to your 2nd post – what does the ‘expectations index’ actually measure/how is it done and how does it differ from the consumer confidence index?

then there’s this:

First, in 1990, 88 percent of the world’s energy came from fossil fuels. After more than 25 years and over a trillion dollars in subsidies for “renewable” energy, in 2015 the world’s share of energy from fossil fuels was . . . 86 percent.

83 | August 29, 2017 5:45 pm

forgot this part:

China’s reemergence as a coal importer has boosted the fortunes of U.S. producers who are now shipping more coal abroad than any time in the last two years. . .

Industry leaders say that good fortune has been backed up by a change of sentiment led by Mr. Trump. Business would have been worse and future prospects would be lower under a Democratic administration that used new rules to move consumers further away from coal, they said.

and don’t forget – we just shipped TONS of anthracite to Ukraine, a nice little side deal Trump did while he was over there and everybody was saying he was Putin’s bitch.

85 | August 29, 2017 6:54 pm

the CCI is real, the other one…well…i never heard of it.

86 | August 29, 2017 6:55 pm

this is a massive job creator in PA.

they are 3 shifts 24/7 with new mines opening.

87 | August 29, 2017 7:24 pm

this is a massive job creator in PA.

they are 3 shifts 24/7 with new mines opening.

I told this story the day it happened but I’m gonna tell it again.

Every year Hubby has a Christmas lunch with some former co-workers. So this was right after the election and they are all liberal and just hating on Trump. I mentioned that Hillary lost in some part because she told coal miners she was going to kill their jobs and Trump said he’d bring them back. They scoffed. There is no way to bring back that industry. When I mentioned steel, they said, what for, you don’t need coal for steel, you only need iron.

So I decided I probably was wasting my time talking about exports. But it was one of the few times since I stopped drinking that I wanted some scotch with a little water, no ice.

83. 88 | August 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Oh man, as I feared:

I was pretty damn sure that the testimony of that nasty little editor was to give the NYT a way out. And this Clinton appointee did was he was supposed to. The only good thing out of this is that a 12(b)(6) dismissal is appealable. Although with the Second Circuit, I imagine Sarah will not get the justice she deserves on this. I’m sorry, but this kind of determination cannot be made without discovery. “Mistakes were made but they were not malice” Why? Because the New York Times SAYS so?

89 | August 29, 2017 7:34 pm

ou don’t need coal for steel

i have no time for imbeciles

90 | August 29, 2017 7:36 pm

they are hoping she doesnt appeal

91 | August 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Graduates of the Rosie O’Donnell School of Engineering, no doubt…

92 | August 29, 2017 7:40 pm

South Korea’s military has dropped eight heavy bombs near its border with the North in a show of what local media called “overwhelming force” following Pyongyang’s latest missile test.

You know they didn’t do that w/o coordinating with the U.S. and now the Little Psycho Bitch has pissed off Japan.

Tick Tock. keep it up, my metals are looking good.

88. 93 | August 29, 2017 7:47 pm

It’ll be interesting. If 2nd Cir. turns her down, she can go to SCOTUS – and I’m hoping against hope that the Court is ripe to finally overturn that Sullivan decision. If you LIE about someone, you LIE about them. There should be NO so-called “malice” standard. And there should especially not be some arbitrary higher standard for someone who is a public figure. It’s a violation of equal protection and due process.

89. 94 | August 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Are you gearing up your Sports pen for the start of NCAA on Saturday? I get one more week’s reprieve, although I could do a season preview if you have nothing on deck this Sunday….

See that the Tide is the featured game Saturday night.

95 | August 29, 2017 7:49 pm

Calo just checked in with a pic – seems the worst is over and they’re fishing in the street for a fish fry.

96 | August 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Are you gearing up your Sports pen for the start of NCAA on Saturday?

i am SOOOO ON IT!

97 | August 29, 2017 7:59 pm

they’re fishing in the street for a fish fry.

FROM THAT WATER?????

oh jeeze.

98 | August 29, 2017 8:33 pm

I’m sorry, but this kind of determination cannot be made without discovery.

another crooked judge. fuck.

I hope she appeals.

How are you feeling, I saw you had a touch of the flu.

99 | August 29, 2017 8:36 pm

they’re fishing in the street for a fish fry.

FROM THAT WATER?????

oh jeeze.

As I recall I ate a lot of cat from the Mon and there was no municipal water treatment there back then. Cook the frigging fish.

100 | August 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Graduates of the Rosie O’Donnell School of Engineering, no doubt…

stubborn ignorance is a requirement in order to be a liberal.

Been meaning to tell you. I recorded the season premiere of The Lost Ship and finally got around to watching it. Or TRYING to watch it. It sucked. I don’t know when they jumped the shark but man…the civilized world has ended and the thugs are effeminate party boys and the women look like they just prepped for a Vogue porn shoot. Everybody is SO CLEAN.

Nevermind.

102 | August 29, 2017 8:56 pm

how differently would this be written if obama were still president?

Let me take a stab:

The Consumer Confidence Index jumped nearly three points to 122.9, while the present situation index added nearly six points to 151.2, near a 16-year high. The expectations index added another point in August, rising to 104, this follows a large jump of more than three points in July.

103 | August 29, 2017 9:00 pm

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

Mattis freezes transgender policy; allows troops to continue serving, pending study

1 hour ago

104 | August 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Two Senators With Support From McCain Could Use Defense Bill To Stall Trump’s Transgender Ban

The next crucial debate over President Trump’s order to roll back open transgender military service could play out in the Senate when lawmakers return next week from summer recess.

The chamber is set to consider its version of the National Defense Authorization Act, the annual bill that sets military policies. Two senators, Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., and Susan Collins, R-Maine, have already filed a proposed amendment to the bill that could jam a wrench into the president’s plans.

It would bar the Pentagon from kicking out any transgender troops or rescinding their medical benefits until the military finished a study on recruitment and reported back to Congress.

The idea has support from Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., the Armed Services chairman, who will help decide which proposed NDAA amendments will be approved for a vote on the Senate floor.

“The Pentagon’s ongoing study on this issue should be completed before any decisions are made with regard to accession,” McCain said last week after Trump issued formal orders to the Pentagon.

McCain called the president’s new transgender policy a “step in the wrong direction” and said troops should not be forced from the service based on their gender identity.

105 | August 29, 2017 9:06 pm

ok, back to my questions about Arpaio. This Andrew Case person was a clerk for the judge in the case and he has a lot to say about Arpaio, none of it good. So far, I see no reason to doubt anything Case has to say. This is his twitter line.

106 | August 29, 2017 9:14 pm

You know what else is near that border? North Korean tunnels into the south. I imagine that 8 heavy bombs in the right place just might cause some issues with those tunnels. … and the Norks can’t say anything, because that would be evidence of their invasion of the south.

107 | August 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Hilarious: It Only Takes A Day, “March To D.C.” Loses Almost All Their Marchers

The March to DC from Charlottesville, Va., started with nearly 200 marchers Monday, but by Tuesday morning there were only 35 marchers.

“Over 200 people came together today to take a stand against bigotry and hate,” march organizers said on Twitter. “We’re marching from #Cville2DC. Join us: cville2dc.us.”

The overnight rains were enough to keep all but “about 35” from marching Monday morning, the day after the pep talk when police escorted the group from Emancipation Park downtown Sunday.

“We have started the day!” the group tweeted shortly after 10:00am. “We have about 35 folks marching against white supremacy.”

108 | August 29, 2017 9:29 pm

well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit……..

heh. I was just going to post that. I see that ‘meals will be provided’. AND they’ll have a security detail. They’re going to be eating soggy gluten-free grass and the security detail has gone ahead to Richmond for a Big Mac and some hot coffee.

109 | August 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Marco Rubio calls for temporary protected status for Venezuelans

yeah, it’s temporary until it’s not.

No. N. O.

110 | August 29, 2017 9:38 pm

I’m sure that thousands will turn up for the last mile

111 | August 29, 2017 9:43 pm

I’m sure that thousands will turn up for the last mile

and they’ll all be CNN stringers. I need food. later.

112 | August 29, 2017 10:05 pm

From the FBI’s website:

The Freedom of Information Act [5 USC 552], or FOIA, generally provides that any person has a right—enforceable in court—of access to federal agency records, except to the extent that such records (or portions thereof) are protected from disclosure by one of nine exemptions. When a portion of a record is withheld from public release, the subsection of the FOIA law describing that exemption or exemptions may be found listed in the margin next to the space where the withheld text would have been found. The list below describes the type of material withheld under each subsection of the FOIA.

Spoiler alert: “Lack of interest” isn’t one of the nine exemptions

113 | August 29, 2017 11:06 pm

oh ffs

Exclusive: Imran Awan Has Still-Active Secret House Account, And It’s Tied To An Intelligence Staffer

read this. this is not sloppy, this is spying. Nobody who does anything with security sets up something like this w/o intent

I’m going to bed. Oh yeah……..

Spoiler alert: “Lack of interest” isn’t one of the nine exemptions

where is Sessions?

nite

114 | August 29, 2017 11:16 pm

where is Sessions?

nite

It’ll be easier to find Waldo. This is extremely disappointing.