• Hurricane Irma

Filed under meteorology, Open thread at September 6th, 2017 - 7:50 am

I am having a very very hard time wrapping my head around this:

SUMMARY OF 500 AM AST…0900 UTC…INFORMATION
    ———————————————-
    LOCATION…17.9N 62.6W
    ABOUT 35 MI…55 KM ESE OF ST. MARTIN
    ABOUT 145 MI…235 KM E OF ST. CROIX
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS…185 MPH…295 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT…WNW OR 285 DEGREES AT 16 MPH…26 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE…914 MB…26.99 INCHES

I’ve traveled 150-160 mph on a very fast, very red Japanese motorcycle a few times (hence the reason I don’t have it anymore but that’s another story all together). I can’t seem to REALLY ‘get 185mpg wind.

The minimum pressure of 26.99 inches is pretty astounding as well. Sandy was 27.76, Typhoon Tip was the lowest at 25.69 which hit 190mph winds.

Comments

143 Responses to “Hurricane Irma”

1 | September 6, 2017 9:19 am

that’s ok, I can’t get my head around THIS

Hackers Gain ‘Switch-Flipping’ Access to US Power Grid Control Systems

Symantec on Wednesday revealed a new campaign of attacks by a group it is calling Dragonfly 2.0, which it says targeted dozens of energy companies in the spring and summer of this year. In more than 20 cases, Symantec says the hackers successfully gained access to the target companies’ networks. And at a handful of US power firms and at least one company in Turkey—none of which Symantec will name—their forensic analysis found that the hackers obtained what they call operational access: control of the interfaces power company engineers use to send actual commands to equipment like circuit breakers, giving them the ability to stop the flow of electricity into US homes and businesses.

2 | September 6, 2017 9:33 am

@ Twitchy
      Democrats can always find a silver lining , Trump may suffer property damage.
      These are such nice people./

3 | September 6, 2017 9:44 am

I’ve got family in Panama City Beach and I’m trying to find out if they’re going to evac. I’m not sure Mara Lago is all that safe.

4 | September 6, 2017 9:51 am

I’ve got family in Panama City Beach and I’m trying to find out if they’re going to evac. I’m not sure Mara Lago is all that sate could take a hit.

That part of the

5 | September 6, 2017 9:53 am

and I just heard back. D’oh! They’re first responders, they can’t leave. She’s an EMT, he’s a fireman. They will shelter in the firehouse, built to withstand Cat 5, and, according to my niece, built way above any expected flood level.

fingers crossed.

6 | September 6, 2017 9:54 am

That part of the

Could take a hit.

7. darkwords
      7 | September 6, 2017 11:33 am

I was in Hurricane Rita and didn’t take it seriously. Tried to hide out in a hotel room. The military came and force evacuated us. Sand was stripped from the beaches. Most trees on the beaches leveled. I watched a bit of it. It was like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz being caught up in the tornado. Just lucky. Make the wrong choices and it can be fatal.

8. 8 | September 6, 2017 12:12 pm

Yeah, this is going to suck no matter what happens in the next few days.
      Picture….

9 | September 6, 2017 1:26 pm

fingers crossed.

WOW!

914 Mb.

That’ll make their ears pop!

They sound well set up. Hope all goes well for them.

Still emergency workers run towards the emergency when everyone else is running the other way. Hope that they stay ‘safe and professional’.

10 | September 6, 2017 2:12 pm

hey. been looking over some China stuff. As soon as I finish the book I’m reading now, Asia’s Reckoning is up next. From what I understand, it’s a reasonably good background on regional history and also looks at the tensions between Japan and China and what it means for the U.S., focusing on China’s expansionist intentions.

Posted this yesterday, wanted to be sure you saw it:

China sees new world order with oil benchmark backed by gold

And David Goldman (aka ‘Spengler’) has a piece up I’m reading now:

A Path Out of the Trade and Savings Trap

This is a prediction that the U.S. economic system is going to collapse. A warning I’ve been reading for years (thank you, Yenta) but this is the pertinent issue:

Trade competition from Asia in high-value-added manufactured goods presents a different kind of challenge than we have dealt with in the past. China and, to a lesser extent, other Asian competitors employ the full resources of state finances to fund capital-intensive manufacturing investment in the way that the West subsidizes basic infrastructure. In addition, China will commit $1 trillion to building infrastructure overseas to support its foreign trade, including exports as well as raw material supplies. The problem is not merely the dumping of artificially cheap goods into American markets, but a state-supported capital investment program that erodes returns for American investors. As a result, investment in the United States seeks capital-light venues such as software and avoids capital-intensive sectors such as chip production. We are being shut out of the global market for high-tech exports

This is what Goldman prepped for Bannon and what went into Trump’s ear. It’s not wrong, I just don’t know how much Trump can do. If you read the entire piece, demographics is destiny and ours are fatal.

11 | September 6, 2017 2:16 pm

forgot one thing.

cryptocurrencies are imbedded in all this. Don’t think people aren’t watching the sneak attacks on the dollar as a reserve currency and taking hedge positions. When bitcoin goes into the SDR, we’re fucked.

12 | September 6, 2017 3:09 pm

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

NRA threatens legal action over Virgin Islands firearm confiscation order

And remember the other day I mentioned the EU was trying to blackmail Poland into taking refugees and in return Poland sez: FUCK YOU

Germany must pay Poland up to $1 trillion in reparations, minister says

I don’t know about the ‘up to’ part, I don’t see why it couldn’t go higher, do you? Like, REALLY REALLY high? heh.

13 | September 6, 2017 4:47 pm

Aussie, pay attention:

With the federal government’s Black Economy Taskforce set to hand down its final report next month, the head of the corporate watchdog has weighed into the debate with an ominous prediction.

Speaking to the The Australian Financial Review on Monday, ASIC chairman Greg Medcraft predicted traditional bank accounts may be unnecessary within a decade as central banks begin issuing their own Bitcoin-style digital fiat currency.

While central banks already have digital settlement accounts with the financial institutions, Mr Medcraft predicted that those would soon be extended to everyday transaction accounts for the general population.

“With central-bank issued digital currencies, you might not need a bank account anymore,” Mr Medcraft said. A digital fiat currency, while convenient, would also be convenient for the government — able to be taxed, tracked and confiscated at will.

14 | September 6, 2017 4:56 pm

BRICS countries considering own cryptocurrency as settlement mechanism

I know I’m tossing stuff out there, but what’s going on (I think) is that people are concerned about the stability/viability of sc-called reserve currencies and are hedging with cryptos. ALSO, and this is important – the govt’s want to wipe out cash. Digital currencies are the replacements. Be aware and beware.

‘k, I’ll shut up now.

15 | September 6, 2017 5:08 pm

sorry, this is breaking….

Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer has resigned effective in mid-October,

his term ran till June and no, I have no idea why, may be nothing

16 | September 6, 2017 6:04 pm

i wouldnt touch the crytos with your money.

17 | September 6, 2017 6:07 pm

Some interesting thoughts on Trump and the Fed. Basically, he’s got a wide open field for appointments and he will own the place.

And if all goes accordingly, President Trump will have control of six or even seven seats on the Federal Reserve Board by the summer of 2018.

Trump will own the Fed. Meaning, whatever the president wants monetary policy to be, he’ll get.

And this was written 6 mos ago.

18 | September 6, 2017 6:09 pm

central banking is war by other means.

19 | September 6, 2017 6:18 pm

i wouldnt touch the crytos with your money.

I am just fed up with the hype. A lot of it is intellectual snobbery because block chain technology is not easy to understand and it gets tethered to crypto. So it’s a Big Swinging Dick contest to show you know the game.

Until you’re faced with the reality that the gov’t LOVES cashless societies because they can track your every breath and leave you bit-less in a nanosecond if they fucking feel like it. The IRS doesn’t have to prove you own digital currency before it insists you cough up your transactions. It’s already doing just that and it has just implemented a taxation mechanism.

Crypto is NOT the insurance against the risk, crypto IS the risk. And now I’m hearing that the IMF wants its own crypto – and I assume would like it in the SDR.

no no no no no no no.

So one day the head of the IMF wakes up with a hangover and is pissed off because s/he didn’t get laid the night before by some Japanese banker and decides the world sucks, let’s devalue the global crypto.

That social networking site I linked to, minds, is using bitcoins for revenue generation. go for it if you want, I’ll participate in the sites, I’m not touching the cryptos.

20 | September 6, 2017 6:23 pm

hey cw, does the name Felix Somary mean anything to you?

21 | September 6, 2017 6:23 pm

i dont buy the hype that the american economy will collapse and that cryptos have real value.

i do buy the hype that this is my last night shift of the 6 in a row and that i have a couple very nice perla del mar “G” cigars in the travel humidor, a 730 am tee time, an 1130 lunch/cigar/scotch with mrs coldwarrior at the CC.

…salt mines!…

22 | September 6, 2017 6:25 pm

hey cw, does the name Felix Somary mean anything to you?

nope…i’ll look hom up tonight.

…later!

23 | September 6, 2017 7:39 pm

Just passing through.

Cashless society, bitcoins, all the other electronic mechanisms for buying and selling goods do not work so well when the power goes out.

That is the worst case, when there is no power. But let us consider the situation where there is power, goods are available but the communication infrastructure is inoperable.

You need gas, gas station has plenty of gas, power is on so the gas pumps work. You only have a credit card or a bitcoin wallet. The gas station lost all Internet.

You are not going to be able to obtain gas even though you may have millions of dollars in your electronic accounts.

24 | September 6, 2017 7:53 pm

15 States Sue Trump Over Rollback Of DACA

Ending an unconstitutional program is unconstitutional!

Or something…

25 | September 6, 2017 8:47 pm

so as far as I can tell, there will be amnesty for the DACA people, Trump caved on the debt ceiling and there’s no border wall funding. so I guess tax reform is out the window too. and unless Mark Levin is lying this bullshit about avoiding a default is just that – bullshit, given the 14th amendment.

I don’t recall voting for a Pelosi/Schumer ticket.

26 | September 6, 2017 10:02 pm

so I guess tax reform is out the window too.

Why?

27 | September 6, 2017 10:45 pm

I haven’t noticed them keeping any promises. I no longer believe a word they say.

28. 28 | September 7, 2017 10:09 am

15 States Sue Trump Over Rollback Of DACA

Ending an unconstitutional program is unconstitutional!

Or something…

They’re emboldened because the last case that went up to SCOTUS went 4/4 (due to Scalia’s death) so the lib Appellate decision stood. Now Gorsuch is on the bench, so I expect a 5/4 kicking these 15 asshats to the curb. I don’t know if DOJ filed an amicus in support of DACA to SCOTUS (if anyone has a case number I can look it up) the first time, but you can BET Sessions won’t be authorizing one this time.

29. 29 | September 7, 2017 10:21 am

I am really becoming disheartened – especially after that debt ceiling increase lovefest. I may need talking off the ledge.

30 | September 7, 2017 10:46 am

morning sweetie. Well, I’ve been reading a lot of analysis this a.m. and I’m not saying I buy it but here is the narrative:

1. What the GoPe wanted to wait 18 mos for so it would not be a factor in the mid-terms, Trump just gave them a 3 month window on so they will have to be accountable

2. This basically tells Ryan and McConnell that they aren’t the only game in town. Trump knows by now that The One True Goal of the GOPe is to destroy him, so why should he be at their mercy when he can remove one of their pieces from the board and now focus on tax reform? They’v done nothing but insult him AND his base so he just checked them into the boards.

3. This may serve the Dems interest in 3 mos, we’ll see. But The Rs were doing NOTHING and making excuses for it all the way home. 7 YEARS of promising to repeal Obamacare and when they reneged on it, McConnell smugly tsks tsks “Welcome to Washington”. I don’t believe them anymore and obviously neither does Trump. If THEY don’t want to get stuff done, he’ll find people who do

31. 31 | September 7, 2017 10:48 am

Morning to you!
      Thank you for the analysis. I KNEW you wouldn’t let me down.
      This makes perfect sense.

32 | September 7, 2017 11:10 am

Morning to you!
      Thank you for the analysis. I KNEW you wouldn’t let me down.
      This makes perfect sense.

not my analysis, just a summation of what I’ve been reading. but yer welcome!

33 | September 7, 2017 11:15 am

I just thought of something else, FWIW. Apparently – so we’ve been told – Ryan has been taking strategy advice from Pelosi – he’s been ‘Pelosi-whipped’, so to speak – and now SHE walks out of the Oval with a deal and he’s standing there with his limp dick in his hands. Very very small hands.

34. 34 | September 7, 2017 11:38 am

At Twitchy, they’re all abuzz that Trump is taking “Tweet” orders from Pelosi to say that DACA Dreamers (blech!) should not worry about being deported during the “grace period.”

Perhaps Ryan and McConnell will get the effing hint. Do your damn jobs or start looking like a pair of eunuchs.

35 | September 7, 2017 11:43 am

Do your damn jobs or start looking like a pair of eunuchs.

oh I think Trump just cut their balls off already.

I saw Ryan this morning on some talk show sponsored by the NYT and they were asking him about his thoughts on tax reform. He did the whole ‘file on a postcard’ thing.

another impossible ‘promise’ and he knows it.

36 | September 7, 2017 11:49 am

yep.

37. 37 | September 7, 2017 12:00 pm

Off the ledge and now with my feet up on the desk (figuratively, of course), daydreaming about how we’re about to NAIL opposing counsel for failure to serve us with a motion opposition. These are the days I live for – slip and fall lawyers who fail to read the Code of Civil Procedure because all they know is negotiating a quick settlement.

38 | September 7, 2017 12:05 pm

my divorce lawyer was like you. my husband’s was like the other guy. my lawyer was APPALLED right down to the cellular level that I didn’t want to drive a truck thru those holes. the judge was hilarious. Mrs. X, I strongly advise you to go to the clerk’s office before you leave the building and get multiple copies of EVERYTHING, as your soon-to-be-former-husband takes no interest in details. Your counsel will accompany you”.

39 | September 7, 2017 12:19 pm

well, we’re getting the first pics of our vacation villas in St. Johns.

wrecked. The downtown is destroyed.

Our dues will skyrocket, no doubt. It’s depressing, but hey, it ain’t Houston. We need to find one friend who lives on her boat, but I’m not too concerned. She’s very capable and no fool.

*sigh*

40. 40 | September 7, 2017 2:39 pm

Oh that is one area of the law I wouldn’t want to go NEAR – family law!
      Listening to the climate change assholes making it sound like multiple hurricanes in a year is UN.PRE.CE.DENTED.

Oh please. In 1954 when I was a babe in North Carolina – I think we got hit by three or four hurricanes in the same year!

41 | September 7, 2017 6:23 pm

everything is UN.PRE.CE.DENTED. for snowflakes.

42 | September 7, 2017 6:27 pm

UN.PRE.CE.DENTED. is not having a hurricane in 12 years.

‘course that blows up the global warming scam

43 | September 7, 2017 6:27 pm

CG, off topic….

I sent you an email regarding a question about legally things post Hurricane Harvey.

44 | September 7, 2017 6:44 pm

howzit lookin down your way?

45 | September 7, 2017 6:45 pm

oh, and i guess i dont hate cats as much as i like to think. i allowed the stray kitty who took up residence on our porch to be inside cat. whe is under a year old, small, very short tail, wonderful cat. she thinks she is a dog, which is good.

i got ‘dad of the month’ honors for that.

46 | September 7, 2017 6:54 pm

Wonderful. I have a cat dog as well and they are strangely odd, in a fascinating way. My cat dog walks with my dogs on their nightly walk, leading the way.

Everyday that I get home from work, I’m greeted by my menagerie of pets. It helps me decompress and brings me great joy.

47 | September 7, 2017 6:59 pm

Insurance problems, I have businesss disruption insurance but word of mouth, from that damn greeting card company I am part of, is saying the multiple store owners around me are having fits that insurance will not cover this disruption. So, I’m paying thousands of dollars a year for shit coverage.

My appointment with the insurance adjuster is tomorrow morning.

48 | September 7, 2017 7:15 pm

My appointment with the insurance adjuster is tomorrow morning.

guh.

49 | September 7, 2017 7:27 pm

Bah!

How’s Rodan tonight? Did he hit the road and skeedadle?

I hope so. Irma is a monster.

50 | September 7, 2017 8:22 pm

Bah!

How’s Rodan tonight? Did he hit the road and skeedadle?

I hope so. Irma is a monster.

just talked to him. he’ll be around tomorrow to give yinz the skinny

51 | September 7, 2017 8:34 pm

insurance will not cover this disruption.

wut?

52 | September 7, 2017 9:00 pm

I’m just one of 7 stores hit in Houston, trying to rebuild.

The other 6 are part of 2 big chains with multiple stores around Texas that got hit hard with flood waters.

They have more resources and info from that damn company than I do business with tonight.

Oh, and my store that got flooded did manage to open their doors today, but we have no internet (and not many customers, either). We process credit cards through the internet. So, no cash will be deposited in the bank until the internet is up. And, if it is not up in 7 days, those sales by CC will be lost, purged.

Do not suggest I get a wireless connection without my mothership to guide me and process the CC transactions. There are federal laws in place thatI I am obliged to follow to make sure customers credit card accounts will not be compromised.

*trudgung on*

53 | September 7, 2017 9:34 pm

Do not suggest I get a wireless connection without my mothership to guide me

oh god no, don’t do that.

Did you hear that EQUIFAX has been hacked? They were in there for at least 3 mos before they were discovered. I have Lifelock. Equifax is one of the suppliers of credit info/security.

143 million people. I can’t WAIT to see my next Lifelock report. Oh, yeah, we didn’t detect any unusual credit card usage but the main credit reporting database was hacked so you’re screwed anyway.

54. 54 | September 7, 2017 9:49 pm

So the Square is out?

55 | September 7, 2017 9:51 pm

Did you hear that EQUIFAX has been hacked?

Equifax executives sold $1.8 million in stock ahead of news of the massive hacking.

56. 56 | September 7, 2017 9:53 pm

Did you hear that EQUIFAX has been hacked?

That doesn’t sound criminal at all…

57 | September 7, 2017 10:53 pm

Do not suggest I get a wireless connection without my mothership to guide me

oh god no, don’t do that.

Another company I work with that won’t ever make it up to me in any way.

59 | September 8, 2017 5:52 am

trump also just made sure he didnt get katrina’d. you know the dems and the gope would have LOOOOOVED to do that o him.

60 | September 8, 2017 6:09 am

FORE!!!!

61 | September 8, 2017 7:27 am

only in Fl

My favorite line

before he attempted to re-enter the main airport through the ceiling,

bwahahaha

61. 62 | September 8, 2017 7:47 am

Пелоси-Whipped.” I LIKE that! 😎

63 | September 8, 2017 8:27 am

Good morning. Geraldo was jus on FNC discussing Dana and Trump.
      I will get this as close as I can, “My old friend the 45th President must of read my comments that if he deports
      the DACA kids, I will have to rethink my relationship with him.” Yeah, that’s it!

65 | September 8, 2017 8:58 am

@ Red State
      The Never Trump wing of the Resistance just won’t quit. This guy manages to blame every GOPe failing on
      Trump. It’s a long, convoluted article.

66 | September 8, 2017 9:12 am

What is the Republican plan that was derailed by Trump’s actions? The Republican plan that was derailed was that the Republicans got to make a plan.

There are a lot of stupid people in the public square.

67 | September 8, 2017 9:19 am

Before I get my day started I want to point out another lie Ryan told yesterday and he thought he could get away with it because he thinks we’re stupid. He said the House has passed HUNDREDS of pieces of legislation (name 2, post offices don’t count) that have been passed to the Senate, but the Senate is really busy working on things like judges.

That is a lie. Everything is done by committees and not all committees are working on ‘things like judges’. The leg goes from the House to a given committee in the Senate, the Senate makes mods, then it goes to markup, then to the floor. Leg about agriculture subsidies isn’t going to get lost in a Senate working on judges.

gotta go

68 | September 8, 2017 9:31 am

And given how few of Trump’s nominees for anything (not just judges) have been confirmed, they don’t appear to be “working” on them very hard.

68. 69 | September 8, 2017 9:36 am

How many positions has he nominated for that aren’t confirmed, and how many still have Obama holdovers or are empty because nobody has been nominated?

69. 70 | September 8, 2017 10:06 am

and now its criminal

Hmmm, suspicious minds want to know. What besides peoples info did the hack expose? When the rats expose themselves by fleeing the ship, the ship is in mighty big trouble.

70. 71 | September 8, 2017 10:35 am

I’m not always a big Levin fan (especially when he’s got a new book out and that TV channel of his), but anything to do with Constitutional legal analysis is usually spot on. And I’m sick of the whole “Default” excuse. The U.S. takes in enough money on a daily basis so that the debt can be serviced. What may NOT be serviced is the monthly payments to the Democrat gimme-gimme voter base (does not include Social Security – that’s part of the debt – you are OBLIGATED to make those payments). Now I hear that Trump and the Democrats (and no doubt Ryan and McConnell) want to be rid of the debt ceiling altogether and just be able to borrow when they need to. Terrific. Forget about the statutory provisions for submitting a budget. I’m starting to see that ledge again.

Oh, and thank you for forwarding the proposed ABA regulation. This should be interesting. But you have to remember pretty much the LIBS are the ones that belong to the ABA. So they’ll have no problem with this.

I apologize that my iPhone has been the worst about loading email lately. I’ll look at it on the iPad and get back to you. I’ll be seeing the Real Estate Practice head on Monday when he’s here in Oakland and I’ll run it by him.

71. 72 | September 8, 2017 10:42 am

Bah!

How’s Rodan tonight? Did he hit the road and skeedadle?

I hope so. Irma is a monster.

I was in touch with him earlier this week as I wanted to give him a shout out in the column on Sunday (along with Pakimon at the Playpen) and wasn’t sure if people knew he was still in Florida. He said sure but at the time he didn’t think they were going to be hit. If predictions now are on target, it’s set to hit his location. Our Miami office closed Wednesday night.

73 | September 8, 2017 10:49 am

oh. so apparently a lot of lawyers DON’T belong to the ABA (I thought it was sort of mandatory or something) and they really can’t disbar someone for using the wrong pronoun?

as for the debt ceiling thing: have you noticed that they always raise it so that they can spend whatever they want? The legal requirement to stay withing the lines has done nothing but add a bureaucratic formality to doing what they intend to do anyway. All Trump is doing is calling them on the bullshit.

I just heard Gov Scott call for the evacuation of the entire state of Florida. I think??? Georgia and Alabama are gonna get real crowded.

74 | September 8, 2017 10:58 am

and ANOTHER thing for all those ‘true conservatives’ bitching that Trump made a deal with Dems and got all chummy with Pelosi and Schumer.

Who said “You can get a lot done if you don’t care who gets the credit”?

I do believe that was Ronald Reagan.

Isn’t it the ‘true conservatives’ who go all misty-eyed nostalgic when recalling the myth that Reagan and Tip O’Neill had drinks together after COB? And are now going all stompy foot that Trump cozied up in the Oval with Pelosi and Schumer?

I’m not sure I like any of this, I want to see how it works out. But this fake ‘religous’ test of what’s conservative and what isn’t is no different that a brothel full of whores demanding the sheriff be a virgin.

Pelosi and Schumer are the scorpions, Trump is the frog and I have no illusions. My only concern is that Trump may. We’ll see.

75 | September 8, 2017 12:07 pm

Dad and wife are headed to Mississippi.

76 | September 8, 2017 12:11 pm

good. I’ve got family in Panama City Beach and even tho that’s on the Gulf side, I’m not sanguine. But they can’t leave, they’re first responders.

Mark Steyn is subbing for Rush today. Rush is someplace in Florida so I assume he’s evacing also.

77 | September 8, 2017 12:15 pm

oh yeah, I just remembered. Remember when Trump gave Mitch McConnell’s wife a place in the admin as a sop to Mitch. Elaine Cho I think, and nobody believes it’s because she’s qualified because the book on her is that she’s dumber than a sack of hammers. Trump may do obnoxious, he doesn’t do dumb without a damn good reason. And it’s done him no good at all.

78 | September 8, 2017 12:56 pm

NFL HELL: Ratings Take Hit As Players Sit For National Anthem…

i like what jerry jones said about this, if you dont stand and respect the flag and the anthem, you will not be cowboy.

see, footballers, you are a uniformed representative of a corporation. you dont get to have an opinion while in uniform.

79 | September 8, 2017 1:17 pm

There are a lot of stupid people in the public square.

</blockquote
      yep, nd the irony is that they tell each other how smart they are.

80 | September 8, 2017 1:34 pm

I had on Dennis Preger while driving in the car today, and he made a good analogy.
      He spoke about Marranos during the Spanish inquisition. They were Spanish Jews who acted Catholic even
      going to mass. But in private they practiced their Jewish faith.
      He compared them to Trump supporters today. Not getting dragged away but risking employer and client
      reprisals, as well as loss of friendships and family relationships.
      He does have a point about Trump shaming and none worse that the “principled conservative”, Never Trumpers.

81 | September 8, 2017 1:37 pm

Deplorable Macker wrote:

“Пелоси-Whipped.” I LIKE that!

The worst part is that I accidentally hit some stupid NeverTrump article on facebook called “How did you enjoy Trump’s first night as a Democrat?” The crazy bastards had flipped everything and had Trump “revealing his true nature”, “bored with the job”, and only the “great conservative” Paul Ryan could save us now.

82 | September 8, 2017 1:43 pm

i have no time for these bastards, they are WORSE than SJW’s

83 | September 8, 2017 1:49 pm

the principled conservative whore hypocrites had their chance on several occasions to get things done with trump ready to sign the bills.

they failed, they failed because they dont want trump to succeed, he represents their worst nightmare, power back in the hands of the people and not in the hands of ideologue word whores. they are losing their jobs and livelihoods and are scared. as they should be

83. 84 | September 8, 2017 1:51 pm

Ben Shapiro made that exact analogy last night. I too am planning wait and see on this. I was, however, disappointed to see that he endorsed a Democrat for the Senate in North Dakota, unless she’s a DINO and in fact will be voting with the right on issues. After all if the Republican candidate is nothing more than a McConnell lapdog, what good does that do?

On the ABA – it’s like the AMA – they’re in some ways the ethical watchdogs and produce guidelines for professional behavior, but the only mandatory membership is in the State’s Bar – they are the ones that license. any other professional groups are all seminars, cocktails and dinner.

84. 85 | September 8, 2017 1:55 pm

There are those on Twitter that while Trump wasn’t their first choice (or second or third for that matter), they did vote for him because if nothing else, SCOTUS and stopping Hillary mattered. Rush has explained this over and over again – Trump is not and never has been a conservative idealogue so stop expecting him to be one.

The worst are the NeverTrumper jackasses like Kristol who somehow thought the Tasty Breakfast Sandwich was the answer to all our prayers.

Also, Sunday column is in the can!

86 | September 8, 2017 1:55 pm

just got back from running errands. One cashier told me she understands that a gallon of gas in Oklahoma is $8?????? not a type. EIGHT.

don’t underestimate the envy/jealously factor here. Trump is an alpha male and – they aren’t. Don’t even get me started on Melania

86. 87 | September 8, 2017 2:03 pm

I think it irritates the left NO END that after foisting Moochelle of the toned arms (and barn-sized ass) on us as the incarnation of Jackie Kennedy, we now have a First Lady that really COULD make a Hefty bag look good.

88 | September 8, 2017 2:08 pm

i have no time for these bastards, they are WORSE than SJW’s

They are, and they ride a herd of high horses.

89 | September 8, 2017 2:16 pm

and the oh-so-FABULOUS taste in clothes. Remember the ubiquitous gladiator belt?

89. 90 | September 8, 2017 2:35 pm

Yep, and how the resting BITCH face made her SO attractive.

91 | September 8, 2017 2:49 pm

that’s saint melania round these parts. she’s mrs coldwarrior’s favorite person right now

92 | September 8, 2017 2:50 pm

her HIDEOUS empire waists…

juss sayin.

93 | September 8, 2017 3:07 pm

Also, Sunday column is in the can!

I wasn’t even a Trump supporter and McMuffin never even slightly appealed to me. The guy was so bland he and Kasich could have stood in a room with no one else there and I wouldn’t have noticed either one of them.

94 | September 8, 2017 3:07 pm

my sister said she had a surprise for me. said I’d find out in about a week. Well, today is about a week and a box from her arrived.

I thought I’d lost in in OUR flood back in the 80s. Nope she found it going thru some stuff from my parents’ house Mom probably didn’t even know she had.

My topsy-turvey doll. I got it when I was 3 so it’s 62 yrs old now. If you don’t know what that is, here’s an example.

95 | September 8, 2017 3:09 pm

Also, Sunday column is in the can!

It should also be noted that I converted to Trump pretty early in the process once I saw that everyone else was a joke “YEB!” or completely unelectable.

95. 96 | September 8, 2017 3:16 pm

That’s pretty much why I voted for Trump. At least a chance of some decent judicial nominees and we’d be hard pressed to do worse than Hillary.

96. 97 | September 8, 2017 3:19 pm

Oh dear God that’s RAAAAACIST!
      ///

98 | September 8, 2017 3:29 pm

Oh dear God that’s RAAAAACIST!
      ///

WHAT’S racist? my topsy-turvey? (Sally and Betty, btw, Sally is the white girl, Betty is the black girl). They still make them you know and the older ones are going for $150 on etsy. Mine, however, is not for sale.

99 | September 8, 2017 4:03 pm

in an event of cosmic karma both UPS and FedEx arrived at my house at exactly the same time, one with my new large humidor and the other with many cigars for which to fill the humidor.

ahhh…life is good. and so are rocky patel and a.j. fernandez!

100 | September 8, 2017 4:04 pm

NICE!

101 | September 8, 2017 4:30 pm

ahhh…life is good. and so are rocky patel and a.j. fernandez!

Excellent. I need to reseason my humidor and get it stocked next tax return. (Last time I stocked it I got through almost 4 months).

102 | September 8, 2017 4:31 pm

The last time I stocked it was 200 Schizo Maduros for every day smokes, and about 100 other assorted premiums from various shops around MT and WY.

102. 103 | September 8, 2017 4:38 pm

Temp is currently 81 degrees, it rained for about 5 minutes, and its overcast. A bit on the gloomy side, but I’ll take it, much nicer than last weeks 110 degrees all damned week.

103. 104 | September 8, 2017 4:47 pm

Meanwhile, Cary Grant is in the other room muttering Judy Judy Judy…

104. 105 | September 8, 2017 5:32 pm

date=”yes” numberposts=”10″ dateformat=”M j, Y – g:i a” author=”yes” comments=”yes”]
      Recent Posts
      Hurricane Irma

Oh my GOSH! I remember mine! It was standard issue for little Southern Misses back in the day.

105. 106 | September 8, 2017 5:35 pm

Oh God – that was dreadful. My cat Bumpkin* got to the front door and immediately took two steps back and stationed himself under the A/C vent. San Francisco hit 106 – and this is a city where NO ONE has Central Air Conditioning, let alone a portable or window unit. Very few even have fans.

*If I ever find a marmalade colored Tabby my son wants to name it “Trumpkin.”

106. 107 | September 8, 2017 5:37 pm

Loving the news circulating right now that it appears Beastie might have won New Hampshire courtesy of ILLEGAL same-day voting by non-residents.

But no voter fraud exists — riiiiiight, Maxi-Pad Waters?

107. 108 | September 8, 2017 5:48 pm

And here we have the two resident Attention Whores of Miami that are planning to “ride out” the storm”. Courtesy Fox News:

Let me spell it out for you two twits: the Governor has made it clear that if you STAY in Miami, NO ONE IS GOING TO COME FOR YOU. PERIOD.

But congrats on your 15 minutes.

109 | September 8, 2017 5:51 pm

they didnt take physics in high school. i hope no one prevents darwin from happening to them

109. 110 | September 8, 2017 5:59 pm

From the Fox News site – someone recommended that they write their names and social security numbers on their torsos in an indelible Sharpie for quick identification.

I applaud the Gov. of Florida. Lay it on the line – GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE. I’m not risking first responders’ lives so you could have a Hurricane Party.

111 | September 8, 2017 6:13 pm

It was a present for my 3rd b-day from my maternal grandmother – born and bred in NOLA, as was Mom. NONE of my Pennsylvania playmates had one, so I assume it was purchased in NOLA

112 | September 8, 2017 6:19 pm

This is just wrong

Lois Lerner gets off

The Trump administration said Friday it won’t charge a key IRS figure in the mistreatment of conservative political groups during the 2010 and 2012 elections.

In a letter to members of Congress, the Justice Department said that ‘reopening the criminal investigation would not be appropriate based on the available evidence.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4866550/Trump-DOJ-declines-charge-key-figure-IRS-scandal.html#ixzz4s81ZVn4E
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

112. 113 | September 8, 2017 6:39 pm

North Carolina for mine. Oh, and the little black girl a few doors down that I played with had one too.

I agree. This woman and her boss deserve to be locked the hell up. Judicial Watch has stated they have compiled mountains of evidence that prove this. “Available evidence”? Tell me, have they even ATTEMPTED to find the emails that these people sent?

114 | September 8, 2017 6:43 pm

Tell me, have they even ATTEMPTED to find the emails that these people sent?

Oh, remember? The DID find them. They found the backup tapes in a cave in WEst Virginia. Someone who worked there for years all of a sudden recalled where they HAD to be. Some guy who had nothing to do with anything, he just worked in the IT dept of the IRS

114. 115 | September 8, 2017 6:47 pm

And if NOTHING happened, why was everying asking for IMMUNITY?

115. 116 | September 8, 2017 6:48 pm

Sessions has some ‘splainin’ to do on that one.

117 | September 8, 2017 7:00 pm

Sessions has some ‘splainin’ to do on that one.

He did. Here is the letter. Apparently the DOJ closed the investigation some time ago and today’s activity is simply a response to an inquiry from a Judiciary committee. Bottom line: there was mismanagement, there was no criminal intent.

117. 118 | September 8, 2017 7:18 pm

Amazing how those Democrats never have any “criminal intent.”

119 | September 8, 2017 7:25 pm

mrs coldwarrior flat out refuses to watch the oklahoma state u football game tonight. its not that she doesnt like cowboys, she just cannot accept young head coaches, their head coach is 34…mrs coldwarrior is of the mind that all head football coaches should look like vince lombardi.

i ran into joey porter and coach tomlinson at our CC this summer, as i played through and welcomed them to the CC, i told coach tomlinson that ‘my wife hates you’…when i explained the reason he got a great grin on his face and signed a golf ball to her…’with love, coach Tomlinson.’

porter was damn near pissing himself with laughter, he said he wanted to see tomlinson in a fedora and smoking a stogie.

120 | September 8, 2017 7:29 pm

wrong.

Mike Ditka

121 | September 8, 2017 7:38 pm

Jerry Pournelle has died

122 | September 8, 2017 7:38 pm

wrong.

Mike Ditka

we know mike. iron mike’s mom and dad were patients of mrs coldwarrior when she ran a doctors office years ago. those two were great, really funny too. mike is a very nice guy in person.

122. 123 | September 8, 2017 7:39 pm

I was always partial to John Madden’s crazy Dutch Boy look myself….

124 | September 8, 2017 7:46 pm

I was always partial to John Madden’s crazy Dutch Boy look myself….

knute rokney.

125 | September 8, 2017 7:50 pm

mike is a very nice guy in person.

Dad met him years ago in Aliquippa and said the same thing. Dad had stopped there for lunch and Mike came in so they had a chat. About cars, as I recall. But Mike referred him to a jeweller Dad needed for a special present for Mom – after he fucked up the previous Christmas with a set of pots and pans featuring the NEW NON-STICK TEFLON!! yeah, no, Dad.

126 | September 8, 2017 8:07 pm

Dumbass White Boy wants everybody to boycott the NFL over Kaepernick

don’t anybody tell Shaun King about their ratings

127 | September 8, 2017 8:10 pm

i met mike a few time around here, then i was out in chicago for business ( i swore i lived in chi-town for 8 months straight) anyway, the regional manager took me and my team out to ditka’s when we were done fixing his problems…i mentioned to the bartender that i knew mike and his parents and that i was a ‘yinzer’. he and i had a great laugh about mike, then when the LARGE bill came out to the DM, mike brought it, it was real light and then he had cigars and drinks for us back at the bar. mike asked about mrs coldwarrior by name and sent her thanks for taking care of his parents. he really is a good dude.

he’s a class act.

128 | September 8, 2017 8:19 pm

The WH announces the next round of Trump judicial nominees.

There are sixteen

129 | September 8, 2017 8:29 pm

The WH announces the next round of Trump judicial nominees.

There are sixteen

cant wait to see the gope drag feet on these.

130 | September 8, 2017 8:31 pm

you’ll be seeing the OSU cowboy QB having a long and storied carrier in the bigs.

131. 132 | September 8, 2017 9:23 pm

Well God help us, but we’ve brought yet another cat in the house. We’ve been feeding her for about 4 years now. She’s the mom of one we brought in about 2 1/2 years ago, and the grandma of 2 that we pulled off the streets about 4 years ago.

We tried to bring the other one that hangs around in too, but didn’t catch that one. We’ll try again in a week or so.

Mrs RW said a few years ago she wanted a black cat, and hadn’t ever had one. Well, we have 5 now.

We need a bigger house. Outside city limits.

132. 133 | September 8, 2017 9:28 pm

Actually we have 6 if you include the foster we need to take up to the Humane Society to surrender.

134 | September 8, 2017 9:28 pm

135 | September 8, 2017 9:38 pm

about 4 years ago.

I wonder if she’s just getting older now and feels the winter coming. she knows what you’ve done with the cats you’ve taken in.

135. 136 | September 8, 2017 9:54 pm

Maybe. She’s crying a little bit, and wasn’t real happy when I picked her up after she escaped from the cage, but she didn’t struggle too much to get free. It took her mama about 2 years before she decided indoor life was pretty sweet and started wanting snuggle up with us. No idea of course how old she is, but we’re guessing about 8. If she’s ever been inside it’s been a long time.

We’re lucky our former neighbors started feeding her and her daughter and brought them down to us before they moved to California 4 years ago. The youngest two were about 8-10 weeks old for the female, and 5-6 months for the male when we caught them. Didn’t know he was even around until one day I saw this black kitten & guessed he was a sibling. The other male didn’t make it- contaminated water hurt his immune system or something & he was the runt of the litter anyway. Poor little guy.

137 | September 8, 2017 10:01 pm

But no voter fraud exists — riiiiiight, Maxi-Pad Waters?

“Vote fraud is just a very minor issue and rarely occurs”

/so they say

138 | September 8, 2017 10:06 pm

I would not have the first clue about taking care of cats. I don’t dislike them I’ve just never been around them. The animal could be half dead but unless it was doing something terribly obvious like throwing up blood, I would never know. Dogs, otoh, well..telepathy.

Ok, more news on the ‘attack the dollar’ front (yes, cw, I know you aren’t worried, nor am I – yet – but one must attend nevertheless)

Venezuela Is About To Ditch The Dollar In Major Blow To US: Here’s Why It Matters

Nuclear giants China and Russia have been slowly but surely abandoning the U.S. dollar, as well, and the U.S. establishment has a long history of painting these two countries as hostile adversaries.

Now Venezuela may ultimately join the bandwagon,

there’s some hyperbole here – it IS zerohedge – about invading countries who talked about changing currencies – but at least you get the idea that there IS a currency war ongoing and much of it is being waged with the petro dollar. and make no mistake, it IS war.

139 | September 8, 2017 10:08 pm

I am off to read about China. nite.

140 | September 8, 2017 10:08 pm

Dumbass White Boy wants everybody to boycott the NFL over Kaepernick

don’t anybody tell Shaun King about their ratings

Well, this is awkward. What are people boycotting the NFL because of Kaepernick and the other take a knee players supposed to do?

141 | September 8, 2017 10:13 pm

central banking is war by other means. i’ll take the fed in this fight, thanks.

china and russia and venezuela are amateurs.

141. 142 | September 8, 2017 10:13 pm

And how is anyone going to know if falling ratings is because of their antics or because the teams won’t put up with their antics?

143 | September 8, 2017 10:15 pm

oh, n zero hedge has said that the stock market will collapse and gold will be HUGE for 8 years…well…your actual reults have differed pretty much from their predictions about the jooooos taking down the american economy.