• Secretary of State Pompeo Burns The Burners.

by Bunk X ( 94 Comments › )
    Filed under Democratic Party, Economy, Politics, Republican Party at July 27th, 2018 - 12:39 am

I heard about Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s grilling by the Senate Foreign Relations committee on 25 July 2018. Mark Levin and others said it was awesome, so I decided to watch. 20 minutes in and I was hooked, watched the whole 3 hours. I wish I’d marked the time of the start of each “question” for easy reference, but I didn’t.

Mike Pompeo does indeed sound and look like George Wendt (Norm from “Cheers”) with a dose of John Goodman, but he never lost his cool during the three hour grind. His attackers (both Democrat and Republican) rephrased and repeated questions hoping to trip him up, yet Pompeo’s answers didn’t change. He balked on some answers for security reasons and for some that were beyond his jurisdiction / authority to comment on. There was a lot of pontificating by his interrogators, but Pompeo listened to and refuted the nebulous allegations.

If you can’t watch the entire 3 hours, watch the first 30 minutes, then skip ahead to another question. Do it again a few times. The last 30 minutes reprises the first.

Note that during this grilling, the EU caved on tariffs. #Winning

Tags: , , ,

Comments

94 Responses to “Secretary of State Pompeo Burns The Burners.”

1 | July 27, 2018 6:54 am

thx bunk!

2 | July 27, 2018 6:57 am

today is also GDP day! 4% plus seems to be the consensus.

i like a solid 3%, but. i’ll take a bit of overachieving.

3 | July 27, 2018 6:59 am

and…my birthday season hath begun!

verily i say! HARUMPH!

4. 4 | July 27, 2018 7:24 am

I just got Diana West’s book ‘American Betrayal’ yesterday. Highly recommended by my history teacher friend, a former liberal.

5 | July 27, 2018 7:46 am

today is also GDP day! 4% plus seems to be the consensus.

i like a solid 3%, but. i’ll take a bit of overachieving.

Good morning. Some optomistic analysts are predicting the GDP will blow past the fours, and hit five.
      That might be a stretch, but it would be great.

6 | July 27, 2018 7:47 am

Watching this that smug, corrupt cretin Menendez needs to be slapped silly.

7. 7 | July 27, 2018 7:52 am

It’s interesting that just on page 2, she describes testimony from William Wirt before a House committee over conversations with government personnel regarding ‘concrete plans’ for the ‘proposed overthrow of the established American social order’. Most of these officials were employed by FDR’s New Deal agencies.

On a series of 3-2 votes, Wirt wasn’t allowed to read his opening statement, couldn’t have counsel, and wasn’t able to rebut charges, including the claim he was jailed for German sympathies during WWI. He also had Hitler invoked against him.

On the same 3-2 vote, the officials he named weren’t called.

8 | July 27, 2018 8:38 am

2nd quarter GDP growth just real eased at 4.1%, more than twice the 1st quarter.
      It is the largest since 2005.
      The MSM is no doubt in full smear mode to diminish this.

9. 9 | July 27, 2018 8:45 am

Say coldwarrior, I was thinking… You probably should put a warning sign near those scorpion peppers of yours… Something to the effect… “If you eat one of these pepper’s, you will die”… Though, by now that might not be necessary, however… keep in mind, teenagers really are not very bright as a general rule.

10 | July 27, 2018 9:17 am

Friday morning humor.
      Harry was born a healthy head. No body just a head.
      Harry spent his years living on the fireplace mantle until his 21st birthday.
      At his party his brother Billy stood next to him drinking a beer.
      Harry said, “Hey Billy , can I have a drink of that?”
      He took a drink and poof! He grew a torso complete with arms!
      Harry screamed great! and took another drink and poof, he grew a full body with legs!
      He hopped down and said “this is great” and chugged the beer.
      Poof! he disappeared,
      And the moral is………..
      Wait for it………
      Harry should have quit while he wa a head.
      I will now take cover.

11 | July 27, 2018 9:33 am

when that book first came out, the neo-con right excoriated it, a lot of it came from the National Review side. THAT was my first clue that the people at NR weren’t all they were cracked up to be. She is STILL sidelined because of it. It’s never been clear to me whose ox she gored, but she made a lot of people squeal.

12 | July 27, 2018 9:37 am

Leave it to the Chinese to figure it out. Divide and conquer.

————-
      In Chinese eyes, Mr Trump’s response is a form of “creative destruction”. He is systematically destroying the existing institutions — from the World Trade Organization and the North American Free Trade Agreement to Nato and the Iran nuclear deal — as a first step towards renegotiating the world order on terms more favourable to Washington. Once the order is destroyed, the Chinese elite believes, Mr Trump will move to stage two: renegotiating America’s relationship with other powers. Because the US is still the most powerful country in the world, it will be able to negotiate with other countries from a position of strength if it deals with them one at a time rather than through multilateral institutions that empower the weak at the expense of the strong.

13. 13 | July 27, 2018 9:49 am

Just ordered “The Russia Hoax” by Greg Jarrett. I understand it’s well researched and annotated – is anyone else reading it? Also just got “Licensed to Lie” for my iPad (since Amazon is not selling the hardcover). Something good for the BART train, since I don’t need the libturd passengers giving me grief.

Pompeo was a DREAM witness. And I do love his throwing it back at Menendez, et al. for asking basic BS and grandstanding.

14. 14 | July 27, 2018 9:53 am

Holy cow. GDP hits 4.1% for Q2. Great figures available from this thread at Twitchy:

Waiting for the MSM to tell us how Obama’s policies made all this possible (of course, they cannot cite which policies those were).

15 | July 27, 2018 10:01 am

The Barbarian wrote:

It’s on my wish list. I have an amazon budget,so maybe next month. I’ve had License to Lie forever and still haven’t got around to reading it. Rush has been talking it up recently.

I think Greg jarrett is seriously underrated. And what the hell happened to Judge Napolitano? It’s like the Murdoch brothers told him to play with a different script and he went along with it.

16. 16 | July 27, 2018 10:24 am

It would not surprise me in the least to find out that was exactly what had transpired. The Murdoch spawn have decided that they want to become the “Never Trump” network, which is problematic considering the conservative lineup in the evening, which gets the highest ratings. But I’ve no doubt they’d LOVE to dump Hannity, Gutfeld, Carlson and Ingraham.

I’m seeing on Twitter major dissatisfaction with the Fox Network and asking if there are any alternatives. OANN is getting a lot of push. Also Newsmax has a channel as well.

17 | July 27, 2018 11:00 am

The Barbarian wrote:

I’ve no doubt they’d LOVE to dump Hannity, Gutfeld, Carlson and Ingraham.

get woke, go broke

18 | July 27, 2018 11:04 am

4.1.

Heh.

19 | July 27, 2018 11:12 am

There is something to be said about an AJ Fernandez la gran llave

20 | July 27, 2018 11:17 am

2005 was a false economy. Peeps were using their houses as atm as jobs flew out of the country

21. 21 | July 27, 2018 11:23 am

True that. I know at least five people who were forced out of their homes because they had refinanced at 125% and appraisals were jacked up. When they tried for one last “reset” in financing, they couldn’t get it because now their property was worth about half of its financed value.

These same people kept telling me to refi and get “some money” out of my house. My response was “sorry, I DO believe there is a housing bubble burst coming.”

22 | July 27, 2018 11:33 am

@ The Barbarian:
      I called it in 2005. My real estate friends called me an idiot. This idiot has an MS in econ, they had BA in english.

23 | July 27, 2018 11:40 am

@ The Barbarian:

this idiot has half a brain and saw it coming. The new houses that went up next to ours started at one million. Hubby and I laughed until we were sick. The sucker buyers started trying to unload about 9mos later. Everybody bitched to the HOA about possible foreclosures bringing our property values down. It got ugly.

24 | July 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Houses are not atm machines

25 | July 27, 2018 12:36 pm

That.

26. 26 | July 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Final numbers for the cancer challenge bike ride last month.

Over 50,000 riders rode nearly 4.7 million miles and raised $6.85 million.

Thanks!

27. 27 | July 27, 2018 4:26 pm

When 1-bedroom homes in Silicon Valley were going for a little under a million in 2006, I said “this is going south soon.” Flyboy said he felt bad for any of his friends buying houses at that time, because he said flat out that they were going to be stuck with a mortgage on a house that was going to see its value cut in half within three years.

I cannot tell you how many of my friends purchased multiple homes in 2007 in developments (that were springing up everywhere in California) in anticipation of flipping them for a $100K profit within three months only to find themselves filing for bankruptcy a year later.

28. 28 | July 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Most excellent! Congrats to all!

29. 29 | July 27, 2018 7:33 pm

Trump supporters who were victims of police neglect have been given the green light by the Ninth Circuit to sue the San Jose Police Department for their failure to protect them from violent Bernie Sanders supporters at a 2016 Rally:

Turns out that the District Court Judge assigned to the case is Lucy Koh, an Obama appointee….

….and a first-class effing judicial MORON.

30 | July 27, 2018 8:01 pm

so the girl just drove off by herself in my truck

damn

that was A LOT harder than I thought it would be

she’ll be fine
      I have been teaching her for the last 8 months….right?

31 | July 27, 2018 9:26 pm

so the girl just drove off by herself in my truck

damn

that was A LOT harder than I thought it would be

she’ll be fine
      I have been teaching her for the last 8 months….right?

It will be fine. You’ve trained her right, she knows the rules of the road. She’s growing up and this is part of that developing independence.

32 | July 27, 2018 9:32 pm

you’re right, all true
      and I WANT her to do this

now the first time she takes momcats car…

33 | July 27, 2018 9:51 pm

now the first time she takes momcats car…

34. 34 | July 27, 2018 10:54 pm

Momcat and three of her friends will ride along just to be sure she knows what she is doing. And they will tell her every single little thing that they believe you taught the girl incorrectly. And dozens of other things that are only important to women drivers.

35 | July 27, 2018 11:20 pm

Q: What’s the difference between a guitarist and a mutual fund?
      A: A mutual fund eventually matures and earns money.

nite

36. 36 | July 27, 2018 11:54 pm

Q: What’s the difference between a guitarist and a mutual fund?
      A: A mutual fund eventually matures and earns money.

nite

What is the difference between a sign that says… No U-turn and Shoe Sale?

If you are a woman, you can ignore the sign that says No U-turn if the sign right next to it says, Shoe Sale…

37. 37 | July 28, 2018 12:16 am

Kinda busy in meatworld these days, and I try to keep DoD alive as well. Once in a while I find something that I think belongs here instead of there.

Sorry I haven’t commented more, but I’ve been lurking. Rock on me bloogs.

38. 38 | July 28, 2018 12:22 am

Decades ago there was an indi-comic strip entitled “Ed Head.” Mr. Google couldn’t find it for me.

39. yenta-fada
      39 | July 28, 2018 12:27 am

@ Bunk X:

Bunk! 🙂

40. yenta-fada
    41. 41 | July 28, 2018 12:29 am

Mike Pompeo for President 2024.

42. 42 | July 28, 2018 12:31 am

What.

43. yenta-fada
      43 | July 28, 2018 12:37 am

Bunk X wrote:

What.

What’s the difference between a duck?

44. 44 | July 28, 2018 12:38 am

@ yenta-fada:
      Heh. That’s easy. One leg is the same.

45. yenta-fada
      45 | July 28, 2018 12:40 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ yenta-fada:
      Heh. That’s easy. One leg is the same.

rats. foiled again

46. 46 | July 28, 2018 12:41 am

@ yenta-fada:

How did you know that? Did the Illuminati tell you? BASTARDS.

47. yenta-fada
      47 | July 28, 2018 12:48 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ yenta-fada:

How did you know that? Did the Illuminati tell you? BASTARDS.

psst *Bohemian Grove*

48 | July 28, 2018 12:53 am

I had to google that.

I don’t think either of us would be allowed entrance to Bohemian Grove.

Dorian might be allowed in, not sure though.

49. 49 | July 28, 2018 12:58 am

@ yenta-fada:
      Bohemian Grove leaked a fart, but I was talking about a joke from a HS Philosophy Class that I refused to take. I took Play-Doh engineering instead.

50. 50 | July 28, 2018 1:00 am

Dorian might give us the secret handshake, but he’d be risking a lot. I don’t want to put him in jeopardy.

51. yenta-fada
      51 | July 28, 2018 1:01 am

Calo!

52. yenta-fada
      52 | July 28, 2018 1:03 am

Bunk X wrote:

Dorian prolly does a killer Kissinger imitation.

53 | July 28, 2018 1:04 am

@ yenta-fada:
      My goodness, glad to be here.

I’m sick of the holidays already. Just finished Valentines Day through Fathers Day shopping for 2019.

Some days, I have no idea what month it is.

54. yenta-fada
      54 | July 28, 2018 1:05 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ yenta-fada:

Everything I know I learned at summer camp.

55 | July 28, 2018 1:07 am

@ Bunk X:
      Hah, Dorian might just write an essay on how we are doing the secret handshake wrong.

56. yenta-fada
      56 | July 28, 2018 1:08 am

@ yenta-fada:
      My goodness, glad to be here.

Some days, I have no idea what month it is.

It’s comforting to know I’m not the only confused person out here.

57. yenta-fada
      57 | July 28, 2018 1:09 am

@ Bunk X:

No, that would be possum.

58. 58 | July 28, 2018 1:13 am

@ yenta-fada:
      Kissinger never played guitar, I was looking for Dorian’s BlogMock Radio intro. No dice.

59. 59 | July 28, 2018 1:17 am

It’s Devember.

60. yenta-fada
      60 | July 28, 2018 1:18 am

Bunk X wrote:

Worth the effort. 🙂

61. 61 | July 28, 2018 1:19 am

@ yenta-fada:
      Plaster casts of possum prints.

62. yenta-fada
      62 | July 28, 2018 1:20 am

@ Bunk X:

Getting Breitbart was EPIC.

63. 63 | July 28, 2018 1:20 am

I know how to do it, unless the rules changed.

64 | July 28, 2018 1:22 am

@ yenta-fada:
      I miss guessing what snacks Rodan was eating during Blogmock Radio.

Fun times.

65. yenta-fada
      66 | July 28, 2018 1:31 am

@ yenta-fada:
      I miss guessing what snacks Rodan was eating during Blogmock Radio.

Fun times.

It helped us get through Ovomit’s Reign of Error. A balm for the balmy. 🙂

66. yenta-fada
      67 | July 28, 2018 1:33 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ yenta-fada:

And Dorian was never a war criminal.

67. 68 | July 28, 2018 1:37 am

@ yenta-fada:
      All I did was ask. Breitbart said yes, and Rodan ran with it. The behind-the-scenes lead up was killer (Rodan, M, Savage can confirm, we didn’t know if Andrew Breitbart would call in. At the last minute he emailed, “I’m in.”). After the BlogMock podcast, AB emailed and asked if I thought Charles Johnson had heard it. I emailed back: “I guarantee it.”

68. 69 | July 28, 2018 1:39 am

All I did was ask.

69. 70 | July 28, 2018 1:41 am

He was eating avocados on tortuga shells.

70. 71 | July 28, 2018 1:50 am

@ Bunk X:
      That day was hella fun for everyone involved.

71. yenta-fada
      72 | July 28, 2018 2:00 am

Bunk X wrote:

All I did was ask.

And Breitbart said he only wanted to talk about Chuck because Breitbart owned up to being a really really petty person. 🙂

72. 73 | July 28, 2018 2:29 am

@ yenta-fada:
      When I spoke with him on the phone, I axed him why he cared about Chuck, and his answer was “Because I’m petty.” He said the same on the BlogMock podcast.

73. 74 | July 28, 2018 2:38 am

@ yenta-fada:
      Johnson was in full TwitterWar mode, attacking everyone and anyone of being a racist zenophobe, and the BRC offered Breitbart the Archives.

76 | July 28, 2018 6:59 am

oh look, california is being california again

77 | July 28, 2018 7:14 am

hey barbarian
      any thoughts

ZINKE IS CONSIDERING TEARING DOWN A DAM FOR THE ENVIRONMENT AND SAN FRANCISCO IS IN AN UPROAR

76. 78 | July 28, 2018 9:12 am

Bunk X wrote:

79 | July 28, 2018 4:16 pm

“I’d rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6”

Agree 100%

However….

80 | July 28, 2018 4:55 pm

And I forgot to buy a radish.

81 | July 28, 2018 8:50 pm

hey
      it’s all good man, no worries

82 | July 28, 2018 8:59 pm

been a hellava day
      redoing the bedroom, removing furniture, hauling junk to the dump,
      repainting the ceiling, pulling up old nasty carpet

momcat wants a new bedroom and by god the girl and I are doing our best to give it her

81. 83 | July 28, 2018 9:26 pm

Possum wrote:

And I forgot to buy a radish.

The idea of you… playing with a radish… disquiets me. I must lobby my Texas congress friends to pass very strict Radish Regulation Laws. If it saves the life of 1 single possum, it will be well worth the burden of requiring Radish Licensing.

84 | July 28, 2018 9:33 pm

you will take my radish when you pry it from my cold dead fingers

86 | July 28, 2018 11:12 pm

Somebody, OK, a lot of somebodies, got their panties in a wad over a freakin’ zip gun.

84. yenta-fada
      87 | July 29, 2018 3:44 am

Another quick UPDATE on Tommy Robinson’s appeal by Ezra Levant.

UPDATE: Tommy Robinson could be free as early as Tuesday!

July 27, 2018

The appeal court judges who heard Tommy’s case say they will finally be issuing their verdict. They say they will do so on Tuesday, July 31st or on Wednesday, August 1st. (The judges were not more specific than that.)

Tommy’s lawyers say that if the appeal goes the way we all hope it will, Tommy could be released right away.

At the family’s request, I will be going back to London, not only to cover the verdict as a journalist. I have to go back over there, to report from the verdict, because I don’t trust a word that the mainstream media says about Tommy.

The media told bald-faced lies about his appeal hearing. The Guardian lied, Channel 4 lied, the BBC lied — and they’ll lie this time.

I want to be there to report accurately on the verdict.

88 | July 29, 2018 11:42 am

Some new music for a lazy Sunday morning:

89 | July 29, 2018 4:51 pm

This is an interesting problem:

Big tech warns of ‘Japan’s millennium bug’ ahead of Akihito’s abdication

On 30 April 2019, Emperor Akihito of Japan is expected to abdicate the chrysanthemum throne. The decision was announced in December 2017 so as to ensure an orderly transition to Akihito’s son, Naruhito, but the coronation could cause concerns in an unlikely place: the technology sector.

The Japanese calendar counts up from the coronation of a new emperor, using not the name of the emperor, but the name of the era they herald. Akihito’s coronation in January 1989 marked the beginning of the Heisei era, and the end of the Shōwa era that preceded him; and Naruhito’s coronation will itself mark another new era.

But that brings problems. For one, Akihito has been on the throne for almost the entirety of the information age, meaning that many systems have never had to deal with a switchover in era. For another, the official name of Naruhito’s era has yet to be announced, causing concern for diary publishers, calendar printers and international standards bodies.

It’s why some are calling it “Japan’s Y2K problem”.

“The magnitude of this event on computing systems using the Japanese Calendar may be similar to the Y2K event with the Gregorian Calendar,” said Microsoft’s Shawn Steele. “For the Y2K event, there was world-wide recognition of the upcoming change, resulting in governments and software vendors beginning to work on solutions for that problem several years before 1 Jan 2000. Even with that preparation many organisations encountered problems due to the millennial transition.

90 | July 29, 2018 8:05 pm

I love being able to send the girl out on a food run

91 | July 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Cheaper than grub hub

92 | July 29, 2018 9:50 pm

Have you had a chance to check out the video I posted above?

I’m constantly amazed by the number of really talented young women who are turning up in the blues/roots rock genres these days.

Bonus points for the lap steel guitar, too.

93 | July 29, 2018 10:09 pm

94 | July 29, 2018 11:36 pm

I’m not the suspicious type (but UFOs are real) but I swear there really is a Trump Curse. That recording Michael Cohen made of Trump that the media’s been playing over and over? Did you catch that Cohen also recorded calls with journalists? I gather that the Feds had to share what they collected with Rudy Guiliani as Trump’s lawyer and he’s out there yelling ‘short hairs’ and nobody is picking up on it.

At 3:25-3:35 in video, Giuliani discusses Cohen’s surreptitious taping of CNN’s Chris Cuomo, a two-hour recording, to which Giuliani now has access. THEN Giuliani says: “He did that at least four other times.”