• NCAA Football Week 3 2019, OPEN THREAD

Filed under College Football, Open thread at September 14th, 2019 - 12:49 am

O P E N T H R E A D

Last week we were 2/7, for a total of 4/10. $800/$1000, Vinnie decided to go easy on me and just broke one of my kneecaps…he’s a good Pisan. Oddly, It’s much harder to find Vinnie when I’m winning…

Let’s take a look at what’s on offer today, but first a definition so that peeps can follow this nonsense:

It’s like Wall Street without the suits…well, without the non-pin-striped suits. Here is a definition: Point Spread: Also known as the line or spread, it is a number chosen by Las Vegas and overseas oddsmakers that will encourage an equal number of people to wager on the underdog as on the favorite. If fans believe that Team A is two touchdowns better than Team B, they may bet them as 14-point favorites. In a point spread, the negative value (-14) indicates the favorite and the positive value (+14) indicates the underdog. Betting a -14 favorite means the team must win by at least 15 points to cover the point spread. The +14 underdog team can lose by 13 points and still cover the spread.

Wall Street is legalized, encouraged, and institutional gambling. Betting on college ball is legal, but you are betting on 20 year old kids, hence the reason I don’t use real money! All bets are $100 unless otherwise noted.

Pittsburgh at #13 Penn State – Sat, Sep 14, 12:00 PM ET…my Beloved Panthers are 17 Point dogs at Ceasar’s. This used to be a YUGE rivalry until the Bastard Joe Paterno killed it, and the dream of a WVU-PITT-PSU led division with his bare hands. I was at PITT when it happened and heard it straight from my friend, Chancellor Emeritus, Wesley Posvar. I get a tear in my eye every time I see his picture. The day he died is the day my PhD died…I was working on Islamic funding of terror. Everything dried up after is death as he, and a professor from Israel who will remain nameless were my only champions. I would go to his house once a week to work on data and get advice. His wife was gracious and a lovely person too. A glass of wine was always ready. They liked me for some reason. Anyway, before I bore yinz to tears, PSU beats the spread.

#21 Maryland at Temple – Sat, Sep 14, 12:00 PM ET…Maryland looks like they are for real…Caesar’s has them as 6 point favorites and they beat the spread in Philly.

Stanford at #17 UCF – Sat, Sep 14, 3:30 PM ET…The betting houses are pretty much settled on The Cardinal as a 9 point dog, UCF beats this spread.

#24 USC at BYU – Sat, Sep 14, 3:30 PM ET…USC beat the dog snot out of the formerly ranked Cardinal last week. They beat the spread again of 4.

#19 Iowa at Iowa State – Sat, Sep 14, 4:00 PM ET…This is smash-mouth, corn-grown, rivalry football in the mid-west right here. I will watch this game in it’s entirety. The Hawkeyes are giving 1…1 point. They cover.

Kent State at #8 Auburn – Sat, Sep 14, 7:00 PM ET…WHY? Really, why?

Incarnate Word has a bye this week…even GOD needs to rest.

Comments

108 Responses to “NCAA Football Week 3 2019, OPEN THREAD”

1 | September 14, 2019 8:15 am

yeah, don’t blame ya
      I don’t want to talk about the vols either

2 | September 14, 2019 8:25 am

I think my pirate looks a bit happier now,
      starting a new position at work that I think is going to be much less stressful
      it was a bit of a pay cut but ot is a thing

3 | September 14, 2019 8:52 am

yeah, don’t blame ya
      I don’t want to talk about the vols either

lol

you picked up on that…

4 | September 14, 2019 9:14 am

I have been a vol fan for 40 years but if they lose this one, I swear I’ll pull every bit of orange off my truck

5 | September 14, 2019 9:42 am

As you were troops.
      Notre Dame plays New Mexico today at South Bend. should be a lay down right?
      Not after last week. Louisville gave them all they wanted last week. The Irish woke up in the2nd half.
      They have to get better before Georgia next week.
      Shake down the thunder!

6 | September 14, 2019 10:50 am

apologies for the non-sports related post but – Iran has attacked Saudi Arabia

7. 7 | September 14, 2019 11:03 am

It doesn’t what a Democrat says during a debate, I will never vote for one when alive. I can vote for one when dead, the Democrats been known to cheat that way.

8 | September 14, 2019 11:19 am

gas prices to skyrocket in 3…2…

9 | September 14, 2019 11:59 am

gas prices to skyrocket in 3…2…

They’re taking about half their production off-line – 5% of global supplies

10 | September 14, 2019 12:52 pm

apologies for the non-sports related post but – Iran has attacked Saudi Arabia

its an open thread

11 | September 14, 2019 12:52 pm

the oil tics will take their sweet time getting back on line

12 | September 14, 2019 2:24 pm

the oil tics will take their sweet time getting back on line

Well, I don’t think it makes much sense to bring everything back w/o some sort of defense system in place. The attack was done with drones and apparently launched from Iraq. That would be easy to do over and over again, so I doubt the Saudis want to spend a lot of effort just to provide easy targets

13 | September 14, 2019 2:44 pm

some of those explosions were HUGE, how big were those drones

14 | September 14, 2019 2:54 pm

dunno. They’re calling them ‘suicide’ drones tho………………

15 | September 14, 2019 3:01 pm

Here’s a bit more info. It looks like the Saudis took some production offline as a precaution and will have it back in 2 days

They are counting 10 drones

16 | September 14, 2019 3:32 pm

I just read a horrifying stat. China has culled 60% of its pigs, 25% of the global total.

And the flu has migrated into Russia and parts of eastern Europe

17 | September 14, 2019 4:02 pm

My beloved Panthers damn near beat psu @ happy valley…

Psu didn’t cover.

18 | September 14, 2019 4:12 pm

Maryland isnt for real…they lost. I’m 0/2 to start.

19 | September 14, 2019 4:20 pm

UCF is hooking me up tho

20 | September 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Here we go….

Let’s see how good the CDC and USDA are.

21 | September 14, 2019 4:32 pm

That swine flu in china couldn’t have happened at a worse time for them…

Jusssayin

22 | September 14, 2019 4:34 pm

And the flu has migrated into Russia and parts of eastern Europe

A disease in pigs or poultry would not spread like that or need such drastic measures in The United States.

Trust me, I was a professional.

(worked in the agricultural industry for a few years 2011 to 2014 )

23 | September 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Can yinz explain why. I know the answer as my parents live in farm country.

It would be good info for everyone

24. 24 | September 14, 2019 4:54 pm

That swine flu in china couldn’t have happened at a worse time for them…

Jusssayin

Mumbles something about… We taught them just enough to hang themselves…

25 | September 14, 2019 5:02 pm

Heh.

26 | September 14, 2019 5:10 pm

This is strictly anecdotal, so FWIW – I’ve been told that at least part of the problem is improper disposal of the carcasses. Farmers don’t want to be quarantined so they just dump the bodies, sometimes in rivers, etc., where they can’t be traced back.

Here in the west, I’ve seen heartbreaking stories of farmers losing cows to TB – they just shoot them IMMEDIATELY with the disposal team on-site. It’s ghastly, but it has to be done.

27 | September 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Muh ribs n pulled pork is gonna get pricey.

Good thing I just laid in 30 lbs of bacon from the smokehouse.

Should be good till spring

28 | September 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Should be good till spring

vacuum seal it, should be good for years

29 | September 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Can yinz explain why. I know the answer as my parents live in farm country.

It would be good info for everyone

I once was going to send you or Bunk an open thread on animal welfare and bio-security in the USA.

The only aspect I do not like is the production of baby pigs. Sows are kept confined in a small crate their entire life. European way is better.

Pigs, they are born and nursed by mommy pig until about 2-3 weeks old then weaned and moved to a nursery.

They stay in the nursery for about six weeks and then are taken to a finishing location where they stay for about six months, grow to about 300 pounds and then….

Why take baby pigs to a nursery and when they get bigger then take them to another place?

Basically size of feet and shit. A hog barn is suspended over a big hole in the ground that collects shit. Big pigs need big gaps in the floor to shit through. Little pigs would get their legs trapped.

However, latest development is wean to finish facilities. Flooring is not concrete slabs but plastic.

Little pigs feet do not fall down holes. 300 pound pigs shit disappears….

However I have gone rambling on yet again. The original point.

To enter a hog facility with young, vulnerable to disease pigs you have to strip naked, go through a shower and then wear a paper suit.

Coming back out you have to take of your paper suit and shower.

Shower in, shower out.

It is even worse with chickens and turkeys. You cannot visit a chicken or turkey facility within 72 hours of visiting another facility. No matter how many showers you take.

So my working week was Monday do chicken place or turkeys. Rest of week was pigs as they only had a 24 hour restriction on prior contact with animals.

AND there is more!

On some facilities you not only had to shower in and out you had to do it for every building on that site.

It works, in about 2014 a pig raising place I had to go to ( I did climate controls ) had the swine flu in one building. There were two buildings about 100ft apart.

They contained it to just one.

30 | September 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Thank you.

31 | September 14, 2019 5:34 pm

We know some chicken and some pig folks. They take this VERY SERIOUSLY

32 | September 14, 2019 5:40 pm

We know some chicken and some pig folks. They take this VERY SERIOUSLY

The Amish and Mennonites do too. I worked with them.

A vevtor for chicken disease spread you would never have imagined.

Sunday church.

In Iowa it was known cas stations and convenience stores were a transmission path.

Feet. Shit on boots was a transmission vector.

33 | September 14, 2019 5:46 pm

Possum wrote:

Feet. Shit on boots was a transmission vector.

Absolutely. I remember some years ago in the UK an outbreak of foot & mouth. You had to put on rubber boots and walk thru a disinfectant pool coming and going off the property. Night skies were lit up for months by burning carcasses. I cannot imagine the smell.

34 | September 14, 2019 5:51 pm

Yep. The Amish are serious too. We know a ton of em.

Best baked goods evah!

35 | September 14, 2019 5:58 pm

I think that a post on food security would be a fine idea.

If u would.

36 | September 14, 2019 6:01 pm

The team formerly known as the Vols not only won, but…they beat the spread

37 | September 14, 2019 6:05 pm

lazy fuckers should have been playing like this for the first two games as well

38 | September 14, 2019 6:52 pm

the natives are restless…

39 | September 14, 2019 6:59 pm

I’m not sure WHAT is going on here, but it’s weird.

The Chinese Society was removed from the International Society of Medical Information for Mysterious Man Incident

This is a WHO org of some sort I think. Apparently, some guy who said his name is Mike, speaking for the Chinese Society,

Mike contacted many IMIA member societies in the name of CMIA and Congress organization during the preparatory period of 2017 to request invitations (known as the United States, Canada, Brazil, etc.) and made many delegations and visits, and also made a number of commitments to foreign institutions. These visitors do not know where they are going after less than 30 minutes of contact with foreign academies, let alone what activities they have.

Because of Mikes behavior, the IMIA and the relevant national associations believe that the Chinese Association hides the truth from international organizations and fails to fulfill its commitments, and ask the Chinese Association to explain the schedule and activities of Xiamen Mike and its group of visiting countries by the end of July 2019.

But China is pulling a “Mike who? We don’t know any ‘Mike’ ”

So the IMIA tossed their asses

40 | September 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Stealing info and secrets

41 | September 14, 2019 7:07 pm

Oh ffs

New NYT report uncovers a *third* incident involving Brett Kavanaugh while he was at Yale

no word on what the first 2 were

42 | September 14, 2019 7:18 pm

these people are worse than kudzu

43 | September 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Stealing info and secrets

It’s an information-sharing org. What’s to steal? Very strange.

44 | September 14, 2019 7:23 pm

New Bill Would Require Gun Owners to get 5 year Federal License

how about requiring a license to vote, hmmmm

45 | September 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Dammit…I might….

Well, I have to bet on Clemson to beat the 27 pt spread at Syracuse.

I’m getting stomped, again.

46 | September 14, 2019 7:27 pm

We need to kick California out of the Union. yesterday

California Passes Bill To Ban Private Prisons – Including ICE Detention Centers

47 | September 14, 2019 7:28 pm

gawd, he’s trying to chase Beto??

48 | September 14, 2019 7:28 pm

I’m glad the tuneup games are done with, the next few weeks should have some good matchups

not counting ut vs fl
      dat gonna be fugly

49 | September 14, 2019 7:31 pm

not counting ut vs fl
      dat gonna be fugly

i feel for yinz, i do.

50 | September 14, 2019 7:50 pm

still more fun to watch than any of that garbage the nfl puts out

51. yenta-fada
      51 | September 14, 2019 7:56 pm

I think my pirate looks a bit happier now,
      starting a new position at work that I think is going to be much less stressful
      it was a bit of a pay cut but ot is a thing

I’m truly pumped to hear that. It’s an awful thing to dread going to a job. I’m sure most of us have been there at some point in our working lives. Sounds like fewer annoying people to deal with.

52 | September 14, 2019 8:21 pm

WHAT??!!

1) Cameron Ortis, the Canadian Law Enforcement official arrested in Ottawa for alleged espionage, was heading up the money laundering investigation connected to the Magnitsky murder.

53 | September 14, 2019 8:28 pm

“When California’s prison system capacity was at 200% and conditions were so challenging as to be deemed unconstitutional, companies like ours were one of the solutions the state turned to,” said Brandon Bissel, a CoreCivic spokesperson.

Which is precisely why the private corrections industry exists in the first place. They always seem to forget that part. Nobody went out and built a bunch of prisons and then begged states to put their inmates in them. They exist because the states needed extra capacity and it was cheaper than building new prisons.

54 | September 14, 2019 8:36 pm

They didn’t forget anything. They’re looking for an excuse to not incarcerate illegals.

I swear, if you reside in California, you should need a passport to get out. And still be denied.

55 | September 14, 2019 8:41 pm

How stupid do you have to be? I mean, really?

The Ontario government lost $42M selling cannabis in the last year

*thunk*

56 | September 14, 2019 9:02 pm

I think this is the THIRD tweet this week the NYT has had to delete

We have deleted an earlier tweet to this article that was poorly phrased

Having a penis thrust in your face at a drunken dorm party may seem like harmless fun. But when Brett Kavanaugh did it to her, Deborah Ramirez says, it confirmed she didn’t belong at Yale in the first place

poorly phrased

57 | September 14, 2019 9:06 pm

dunno. They’re calling them ‘suicide’ drones tho………………

In my world, we call that “missiles”. Doesn’t matter if it is an air breather or a rocket, if it is a lethally armed, guided system, it’s a missile.

58 | September 14, 2019 9:10 pm

California Passes Bill To Ban Private Prisons – Including ICE Detention Centers

Umm, I believe the gets slapped down in a couple of heartbeats. A state does not have authority to dictate to the federal government how to run federal business. Interstate commerce act is pretty clear.

59 | September 14, 2019 9:14 pm

It’s a cultural thing. They get to go to suicide drone jihadi heaven

60 | September 14, 2019 9:16 pm

sanctuary cities respectfully disagree

61 | September 14, 2019 10:21 pm

sanctuary cities respectfully disagree

… and it is only because of either lack of will or lack of resources that the leaders of those cities are not being charged with aiding and abetting. Arizona got slapped down when we wanted to help ICE and were told in no uncertain terms that the federal government is responsible for enforcing the borders of the US. The same argument can be made against the sanctuary cities and, like that judge, those protecting the illegals can be charged with aiding and abetting.

62. yenta-fada
      62 | September 14, 2019 10:22 pm

How stupid do you have to be? I mean, really?

The Ontario government lost $42M selling cannabis in the last year

*thunk*

We’re good! They made the stuff so damn expensive, everybody stayed with their old dealers. So many politicians were climbing on to the Board of directors for the various companies waiting for their paydays. They wouldn’t open any retail outlets for months because the gov’t was paranoid. There were communities playing NIMBY over reefer madness. Last month the Province held a raffle for applications to open stores and some of the former felons won. It was REEFER MADNESS. Vancouver had home delivery of the dope of your choice for years. I think people from other Provinces were having weed mailed from Vancouver, but I’m not sure.

You can’t buy booze from anywhere in Ontario Provincially owned store. Greedy gov’t was/is used to complete control of highly overpriced alcohol sales. They thought weed was going to be the same Soviet cakewalk.

63. yenta-fada
      63 | September 14, 2019 10:24 pm

It’s a cultural thing. They get to go to suicide drone jihadi heaven

And all this time we thought they were backward barbarians.

64. yenta-fada
      64 | September 14, 2019 10:31 pm

WHAT??!!

This is a big deal. I didn’t read the news today. Armstrong talks about the Magnitsky case all the time. He was asked to participate in the Hermitage hedge fund for hundreds of millions of dollars when Bill
      Browder started it up. Magnitsky was an innocent who got murdered in prison. The Fund stole PUTIN’S money, and Vlad has wan’t the Browder guy for years from the (I think) Yanks.
      How the RCMP was mixed in it I have no idea yet.

65. yenta-fada
      65 | September 14, 2019 10:32 pm

@ yenta-fada:

Vlad wanted. typo

66 | September 14, 2019 10:37 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

67 | September 14, 2019 10:40 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

How the RCMP was mixed in it I have no idea yet.

Can you spell ‘Fusion GPS’? How much you wanna bet?

68. yenta-fada
      68 | September 14, 2019 10:42 pm

@ yenta-fada:

Sigh. I meant you can ONLY buy booze in Government run stores in Ontario. When I could still do the food shopping you couldn’t buy beer or wine in Supermarkets. I don’t think that has changed except for some Ontario made wines. Our taxes are some of the worst in the world. When we used to go down to Florida we stocked up on ALL of our clothing and shoes and are still wearing it. Canadians closer to the US border drive over for gas and groceries as well. It’s a multi generational ritual, even with our lousy dollar. It’s all about high taxes at every point of production or importation.

69 | September 14, 2019 10:43 pm

those protecting the illegals can be charged with aiding and abetting.

There’s a big stink going on here in Maryland, Montgomery County. 8 illegals arrested in weeks for sexual assaults against CHILDREN. It won’t call itself a sanctuary county but that’s what it is. The chief county supervisor signed and executive order making it so. No public debate, no votes, no nothing. Larry O’Conner (talk show host) and Michelle Malkin had a big rally on Friday.

70 | September 14, 2019 10:46 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

Canadians closer to the US border drive over for gas and groceries as well.

yeah, I’ve seen the border signs. If you guys ever get your act together, New Hampshire will go broke

71 | September 14, 2019 10:46 pm

We know some chicken and some pig folks. They take this VERY SERIOUSLY

Alas not so much in China.

Swine flu is totally out of control in China and is spreading via Central Asia to the Eastern European pig herd. Bird flu is also verging on breaking out at any time especially in southern China where birds become vectors to other diseases via bird flu mutations.

In China especially pigs and fowl live in VERY close proximity and mostly within feet of human habitation. Hence the problem that we keep seeing with epidemics originating out of Southern China.

72. yenta-fada
      72 | September 14, 2019 10:48 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

How the RCMP was mixed in it I have no idea yet.

Can you spell ‘Fusion GPS’? How much you wanna bet?

Magnitsky is a separate issue I think, but ‘Russian collusion’ is certainly not a far stretch of the imagination. Obama and that bunch piled into Canadian politics with money and advisors to get the Moron Prince elected.

73 | September 14, 2019 10:48 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

How the RCMP was mixed in it I have no idea yet.

Can you spell ‘Fusion GPS’? How much you wanna bet?

Bet?

I may be dumb but I’m not that stupid!

74 | September 14, 2019 10:57 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

Magnitsky is a separate issue I think,

no it isn’t. It was part of the bait used by the Fusion GPS moles to get a mtg w/Trump jr.

75 | September 14, 2019 10:59 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

How the RCMP was mixed in it I have no idea yet.

Can you spell ‘Fusion GPS’? How much you wanna bet?

Can’t remember which way the roundabout spying ring goes. Clockwise or anti-clockwise(counterclockwise)….
      CA<-US<-UK<-AU<-NZUS->UK->AU->NZ->CA

Then everyone SWAPS all of the INTEL and everybody can SWEAR hand on heart THAT THEY DO NOT spy on their own citizens!

Ahhh The “good olde’ 5 Eyes” shuffle

76 | September 14, 2019 11:02 pm

Bet?

I may be dumb but I’m not that stupid!

I’ll go even deeper. From Fusion GPS to Nellie Ohr and her FBI husband who were Fusion’s back channel to the FBI. They’ve got them dead to rights and SOMEBODY flipped on this guy to U.S. authorities, because it was the U.S. who gave the Canadians a heads up.

77 | September 14, 2019 11:02 pm

CA<-US<-UK<-AU<-NZ-UK->AU->NZ->CA->US

78 | September 14, 2019 11:04 pm

Bet?

I may be dumb but I’m not that stupid!

I must read Bogjino’s book now I have a Kindle

79 | September 14, 2019 11:06 pm

My aching back

Been painting my daughter’s ceilings for the past 5 hours!

Groan!

A dad’s work is never done!

Never!

80 | September 14, 2019 11:08 pm

Bet?

I may be dumb but I’m not that stupid!

I’m gagging … Gagging I tells ya… That they get McCabe to flip as well.

That is where the BIG heads will begin to roll.

I want to see former State, FBI and CIA supremos doing the perp walk..

81 | September 14, 2019 11:13 pm

Mrs Aussie Infidel is looking sideways at me.

I can take a hint.

I think I should hit the showers before I offend anyone … else…..

Cheers

82 | September 14, 2019 11:20 pm

{waves to Mrs. Aussie!}

83 | September 14, 2019 11:22 pm

I must read Bogjino’s book now I have a Kindle

Also The Russia Hoax: The Illicit Scheme to Clear Hillary Clinton and Frame Donald Trump by Gregg Jarrett

84 | September 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Today’s dumbest Tweet of the day:

TexasMomsforBeto!
      ‏ @texlynnforever

TexasMomsforBeto! Retweeted Schuyler Smith

Here is the thing… I don’t think you could even eat the meat of an animal killed with a semi automatic weapon. It would be so full of shrapnel. #Beto2020 #nomorefear

85 | September 14, 2019 11:40 pm

I JUST found this but I have to go to bed, but it’s important so you guys read it and I’ll pick it up tomorrow (I’ll find parts 1 & 2, also)

We all know of Five Eyes.

Well, meet Nine and Fourteen

So, who are the “Nine Eyes” and what do they do?

There is another working agreement amongst 14 nations officially known as SIGINT Seniors Europe, or “SSEUR”. These “14 Eyes” consist of the same members of Nine Eyes plus Belgium, Germany, Italy, Spain and Sweden.
      Alleged by Privacy International, there are a number of issue-specific intelligence agreements that include some or all the above nations and numerous others, such as:

86 | September 14, 2019 11:41 pm

I saw that. Written by somebody who never had to clean the pheasants Dad and the buys came back with.

87 | September 15, 2019 12:05 am

Today’s dumbest Tweet of the day:

TexasMomsforBeto!
      ‏ @texlynnforever

TexasMomsforBeto! Retweeted Schuyler Smith

Hopefully somebody on twitter is diplomatically ripping her a new one.

#nomorefear? Really? So, let me get this straight, disarming law abiding citizens when you know criminals and the criminally insane will still be armed will allow citizens to fear no longer? These are some seriously mentally deficient people

88 | September 15, 2019 12:30 am

Hopefully somebody on twitter is diplomatically ripping her a new one.

A whole bunch of someones…

89 | September 15, 2019 12:51 am

A whole bunch of someones…

90. 91 | September 15, 2019 2:30 am

If there’s one myth I’d like to bury, it’s that Robert A. Heinlein is a Fascist.

Even if it kills me I’ll work to establish the Heinlein system as the government of the United States.

So what’s the system Heinlein described in his novel Starship Troopers? (Don’t bother to see the movie, it wasn’t a proper adaptation of the novel.)

Heinlein wrote the novel to be the part of the juvenile series of science fiction novels published by Scribners and as a response to pro-Soviet peace activism. In the novel a young man grows from a naive high school student to a junior officer in the army. The narrative of the novel also serves as the framework for a series of lectures about the nature of man, morals, war, and government. The most controversial concept in the novel is that not everyone should be allowed to vote. In the place of universal suffrage Heinlein proposed the idea that the legal status of Citizen, who is a member of the sovereign class of the nation with the authority to vote, has to be earned.

Then as now there were people who clearly didn’t understand the concept of government. Then as now there were those who sought to exploit the ignorance of the mere voter in order to obtain political power. And worse to obtain power without restraint. Heinlein had proposed the idea of earning the sovereign franchise as a filtering mechanism to prevent obvious fools, such as peace activists, from influencing government.

The idea of the restricted franchise isn’t new. In the Polis of Athens the franchise was restricted to property owning members of the tribe but there was no legal restraint on the state. As history had shown this led to dysfunctions such as historic legal murder of Socrates. It wasn’t enough to restrict the powers of government but to restrict who could actually participate in the process of governing. In practical effect to idiot proof the system.

So is it actually necessary to fully implement the system that Heinlein proposed?

The fact is that all forms of authority are based on knowledge and political authority is no exception. But in the present system political authority is granted to any warm body without regard to their their actual state of knowledge. As a result some warm bodies have traded their votes for a material object such as an IPad or a wad of cash. Or worse, they’ve traded their votes for the warm and fuzzy feeling of having been compassionate.

The result is the present state of our nation. Those who lack knowledge or simple concern for consequences shouldn’t have authority over another person, let alone the fate of a nation.

My solution to the problem is simply proper education in the obligations of citizenship.

The course would be similar to a driver education course as presently taught. The first part of the class covers The Constitution, the proper functions of each branch of government, the function of each clause and amendment, the duties of the citizen as a member of the sovereign authority of the nation, and what’s expected to happen when the Federal Government enters the failure mode.

The second part of the course covers the function and use of the instrument of political authority, the personal weapon. This covers rifle marksmanship and maintenance. Also covered is the basic organization and tactics of the citizen militia unit.

While the citizenship course won’t be mandatory, completion and a passing grade will be required to exercise the authority to vote.

92 | September 15, 2019 7:54 am

Dammit…I might….

Well, I have to bet on Clemson to beat the 27 pt spread at Syracuse.

I’m getting stomped, again.

good thing too…

3/6 this week, so no change in the money….7/16. $800/$1000

93 | September 15, 2019 10:40 am

‘I Still Like Trump’s Chances’: Pennsylvania’s Forgotten Say The President Is Their Man For 2020

It is not an unusual sentiment in this blue-collar corner of Pennsylvania: “I voted Trump last time, and I’ll vote Trump next time because there’s a lot of loonies out there.”

What is unusual is that Gary Reese, 75, served as the Democratic mayor of Kingston, a town in Luzerne County at the heart of what used to be the state’s coal belt, in the 1990s. “The Democrats used to be about the working man,” he continued. “Now, they sound like communists.”

Luzerne County emerged as one of the bellwethers of Mr Trump’s unlikely 2016 victory, a place where a predominantly white, blue-collar electorate plumped for the Republican nominee. Here, successive victories for Barack Obama were transformed into a Trump win of 26,000 votes — more than half his winning margin in a state that flipped from blue to red.

Voters were motivated by his promise to bring back jobs, keep out illegal immigrants, and to speak for a population who believed they had been forgotten.

93. 94 | September 15, 2019 11:34 am

Cold… If you are running short of thread material…

95 | September 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Nice. Well stated.

96 | September 15, 2019 7:58 pm

what he said about what you said.

97 | September 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Ah crap. Lead singer of The Cars, Ric Ocasek has died. 74 I think.

98 | September 15, 2019 9:19 pm

Eddie Money died on Friday, I believe

99 | September 15, 2019 9:23 pm

When Keef goes, I’m done.

100 | September 15, 2019 9:33 pm

We probably all are

101 | September 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Another snippet of Ally Venable’s set from Friday afternoon:

102 | September 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Heh…I just spotted myself in that video

102. 103 | September 15, 2019 11:02 pm

When Keef goes, I’m done.

Me too.

104 | September 15, 2019 11:11 pm

@ The Other Les:

Good thing he’s immortal

I’m out, nite.

104. yenta-fada
      105 | September 16, 2019 1:06 am

A man was telling his buddy: “You won’t believe what happened last
      night. My daughter walked into the living room and said: ‘Dad, cancel
      my allowance immediately, forget my college tuition loan, rent my room
      out, throw all my clothes out the window, take my TV and my laptop.
      Please take any of my jewelry to the Salvation Army or Cash
      Converters. Then sell my car, take my front door key away, and throw
      me out of the house. Then disown me and never talk to me again. And
      don’t forget to write me out of your will and leave my share to any
      charity you choose.”

“Holy Smokes,” replied the friend, “she actually said that?”

“Well, she didn’t put it quite like that. Her exact words were:”

“Dad, meet my new boyfriend, Mohammed. We’re going to work together on
      Bernie Sander’s presidential campaign.’”

105. 106 | September 16, 2019 11:40 am

Can an AR-15 identify as a .22 revolver?

107 | September 16, 2019 12:26 pm

New thread

108 | September 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Can an AR-15 identify as a .22 revolver?