• RIP Neil Peart. A musical Saturday Open

Filed under Music, Open thread at January 11th, 2020 - 4:20 am

Neil Peart has passed from gliablastoma ( a fast moving brain cancer for which there is no cure).

Peart officially joined the band on July 29, 1974, (Lee’s 21st birthday), two weeks before the group’s first US tour. Peart procured a silver Slingerland kit which he played at his first gig with the band, opening for Uriah Heep and Manfred Mann in front of over 11,000 people at the Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on August 14, 1974.[18] ”

Comments

28 Responses to “RIP Neil Peart. A musical Saturday Open”

1 | January 11, 2020 10:08 am

I’m musically retarded (forgive the word, but believe me it’s the one that suits) but if yinz want to talk about drummers – my adoration for Led Zep is well known and this vid of their drummer Jon Bonham – just the drums on Whole Lotta Love – may be something you enjoy. I hope. Sorry, it’s the best I’ve got.

2 | January 11, 2020 11:14 am

Pekka Rinne Scores Rare Goalie Goal For Predators

3 | January 11, 2020 4:07 pm

Key and Peele .nobady is funnier working today.

4 | January 11, 2020 4:09 pm

More Key and Peele

5 | January 11, 2020 4:30 pm

so the girl and I just got back from seeing 1917

Very well done

6. 6 | January 11, 2020 5:31 pm

We are passing… We are shadows, smoke being blown by the wind. God rest you Neil Pert.

7. 7 | January 11, 2020 6:22 pm

I spend most of my time working these days. I get up at 4am, leave for work at 5am, and get home around 5pm. Somehow Neils passing on the 7th escaped me.

I know in a purely academic sort of way that the worlds “Rock Stars” are older, the majority in their 60s and 70s. They are not long for this world.

Being born in 1961, my short stint as a Rock Star makes me one of the youngest of what, if I may be permitted the liberty, I would call my musical peers.

Currently, the world has no shortage of celebrities. Many of whom both the media and the public refer to as “Rock Stars”. In truth however, the real Rock Stars are passing away at a frighting rate.

When the very last of us are gone, the world will never again see our like. I do not know if this will be a good thing or a bad thing. So many of my peers were such horrible role models for the worlds youth.

We indulged in such vulgar excess and behaved with so little moral or ethical impulse. We threw caution and constraint to the wind to pursue our every lurid desire.

Along the way a few of us got indescribably famous and wealthy. Far fewer than most would believe. A few of us created music that was celebrated as actual Art.

Exactly what our legacy will be, once the dust has all finally settled, is yet far from decided. Will we have been a force for good in the world, or just one more shift of the Overton Window to a more degenerate and vulgar world.

Personally, I fear, that should by the grace of God through his Son Jesus Christ I find myself to be invited into an eternal rest within the household of God almighty, I shall not see many of my musical peers there.

I can only hope and pray that Jesus Christ is as kind and forgiving as the Christian scripture assert him to be, and that, perhaps, even if I might be permitted to hope against all hope, he is somewhat, if even only a little, a fan of Rock and Roll.

8 | January 11, 2020 6:44 pm

well said.

9 | January 11, 2020 7:31 pm

he is somewhat, if even only a little, a fan of Rock and Roll.

Of course He is. Just look at Keef

10. 10 | January 11, 2020 8:54 pm

I wish we could trade some of the anti government protestors in Iran for some of the anti government protestors here.

11 | January 11, 2020 9:13 pm

Oh, this would be interesting

Trump allies looking to purchase One America News Network: WSJ

12 | January 11, 2020 9:22 pm

from the comments at Instapundit:

A colleague is close to a pretty influential conservative voice who had dinner with the President a month or two ago. The President asked this person what he should do when he’s out of office (and he meant in 2024) and the response was “you should start your own media empire, you have a talent for this”. The President loved the idea. This could well be the first step..

13 | January 11, 2020 9:29 pm

OANN is currently owned by Herring Network. They also own the Washington Times.

14 | January 11, 2020 10:09 pm

15 | January 11, 2020 10:11 pm

You stated that very nicely.

16 | January 12, 2020 5:45 am

great find, that was cool

and in football news
      the Titans beat the ravens 28-12

17 | January 12, 2020 2:26 pm

damn. Sir Roger Scruton has died. You may be vaguely familiar with the name but not be able to place it. He brought the term ‘oikophobia’ into the discussion.

18 | January 12, 2020 6:00 pm

I know.
      The Conservative world has lost a leading light. He was never a traditionalist however no matter that tradition (probably inherited from his mother’s side) was always there in the background.

RIP Sir Roger.

19 | January 12, 2020 8:43 pm

GB just beating the snot out of seattle

28-10

20 | January 12, 2020 9:15 pm

GB just beating the snot out of seattle

28-10

We were at Chili’s today and they had the National Felons’ League on. Houston was beating KC 24 to zip. Now I hear that KC turned that around and beat Houston.

/It ain’t over til it’s over.

21 | January 12, 2020 9:22 pm

AHAHAHAHA!!!

Facebook Glitch Reveals Greta Thunburg’s Father Posting As Teenage Climate Activist

22 | January 12, 2020 10:13 pm

Oops. For once a mistake that went our way

23 | January 12, 2020 11:59 pm

It’s been bugging me for few days, since he popped up to shoot his mouth off again. John Kerry is aging oddly and I couldn’t figure out who the hell he reminded me of. Looks a bit like a muppet but that’s not quite it.

Then it hit me.

Those Easter Island heads.

*snort*

24 | January 13, 2020 6:42 am

Monday Monday

25 | January 13, 2020 6:46 am

DEVELOPING: Gov’t watchdogs raising concerns Hunter Biden’s political gifts to several Senate Dems–inclg Leahy, Menendez,Booker,Whitehouse,Cardin,Cantwell–may transgress Senate “conflict of interest” rules & possibly trigger recusal requirements during Senate impeachment voting

26 | January 13, 2020 8:54 am

truth.

27 | January 13, 2020 8:54 am

small matter of a football game this evening….

new thread going up