• Weekend Open, and some News

Filed under Open thread at February 22nd, 2020 - 4:14 pm

Well, I’m not sure how to say this. So I’ll just ‘out with it’…I have been diagnosed with Squamous Cell Cancer in one lymph node in the neck. I’ve had the punch biopsy and a CT w/ contrast. The lymph node has contained the cells and there is no other areas of the neck that are involved. It is very slow growing according to my pcp. I have no symptoms, no pain, no night sweats, no shortness of breath, no fevers, and certainly no weight loss! That is the good news. The bad news is that the primary cancer remains hidden for now.

I have a bunch of appointments this week, ENT, Med Onc, PCP, and probably surgery asap. Details to follow.

This is an open thread.

Comments

81 Responses to “Weekend Open, and some News”

1. 1 | February 22, 2020 4:35 pm

Prayers

2. darkwords
      2 | February 22, 2020 5:00 pm

I’ll keep you in my prayers.

4 | February 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks yinz!

5 | February 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Oh man. Prayers for you.

6 | February 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Definitely on my prayer list yinz.

Bad luck about not getting the weight off +ive.

Typical. Always the way ain’t it? Those rib racks might have something to do with it perhaps! 🙂

Seriously mate. Good to know that you’re in safe hands. Find that primary mate and knock the bastard off!

6. Guggi
      7 | February 22, 2020 6:20 pm

@coldwarrior

Best wishes for you!

——–

Did I read this correct: Clint Eastwood endorses Bloomberg?

8 | February 22, 2020 6:53 pm

well, fuck.

If you had to get some kind of skin cancer, I guess this is the one to get, but I don’t like the lymph node/no primary presentation. So, you will, of course, tell us the test results. Or I will come up there…………and that’s when you will need everyone’s prayers.

As for the SCOTUS ruling – we have a very good friend from Peru, naturalized citizen. He married and had a child with a woman back in Lima, wanted to bring them here. We sponsored them and that meant turning over 3 years of tax returns and signing off on being willing to support them if they needed welfare. By the book. So yeah, no freebies, folks. (They’re doing just fine, btw, his business has grown to the point where we can’t afford him anymore!)

9 | February 22, 2020 7:00 pm

@ Guggi:

!!!!

Hi there, stranger! Yeah, it was sort of an oh, by the way, and it didn’t make a lot of sense. After saying he’s libertarian and he doesn’t like people who tell other people how to live their lives, endorsing Bloomberg made ZERO sense.
      It wasn’t logical.

10 | February 22, 2020 7:26 pm

Excellent

Sotomayor filed dissenting, accusing the other justices of bias in favor of Trump.

*pop* *pop* *pop* is the sound of teeny tiny liberal brains exploding

“Yet the Court’s concerns over quick decisions wither when prodded by the Government in far less compelling circumstances— where the Government itself chose to wait to seek relief, and where its claimed harm is continuation of a 20-year status quo in one State. I fear that this disparity in treatment erodes the fair and balanced decisionmaking process that this Court must strive to protect.”

Suck it up, Wise Latina, your side started using the courts to legislate, your rules, your game, you’re just losing is all.

Fox has already called Nevada for Sanders and Biden is expected to speak in about 20 minutes. Drops out, I hope, this has been painful to watch

11 | February 22, 2020 7:30 pm

Prayers for you, CW

12 | February 22, 2020 8:52 pm

Prayers CW

13 | February 22, 2020 9:48 pm

So we really do have that many communists in our country? This is not good. Not good at all.

/Yeah, watching a person exhibiting signs of either dementia or senility is not a good thing. I’m kind of conflicted, I was hoping he’d go longer, but at the same time, the most compassionate thing would be for him to fade from public life and lead the remainder of his years in peace.

13. momcat
      14 | February 22, 2020 10:09 pm

CW my thoughts and prayers are with you. sending love and hugs.

15 | February 22, 2020 10:22 pm

Biden will probably turn up in his afternoon snooze suit and tell everyone that he has to be outa here before so he can make it to dinner at 5:30PM with the rest of the oldsters!

If he remembers to turn up!

16 | February 22, 2020 10:27 pm

So we really do have that many communists in our country?

No. We have a mix of people who have no idea what communism actually is, except that they think it’s ‘fair’, and a bunch of morons who think Bernie is a well-meaning person who can make things ‘better’ but whose actual extremist version is just p.r. or ‘could never happen here’.

Plus a few actual commies.

It’s going to get boring, having to kill all those people. And I am absolutely serious

17 | February 22, 2020 10:40 pm

your lads are looking pretty good at basin reserve.

18 | February 22, 2020 10:41 pm

thanks yinz. gotta get some sleep. night all!

19 | February 22, 2020 10:44 pm

sleep tight, we’re here.

19. 20 | February 22, 2020 11:38 pm

Thoughts and prayers for you CW. Hope it’s nothing major and easily defeated.

20. Buckeye Abroad
      21 | February 23, 2020 3:16 am

Doppelgänger I will be praying for you. Keep us in the loop.

21. momcat
      22 | February 23, 2020 6:26 am

cW, you’re gonna be fine, you have peeps that care about you, that is the best support system there is

23 | February 23, 2020 6:28 am

@ momcat:
      oops
      sorry, forgot to log momcat out

23. 24 | February 23, 2020 7:13 am

Does BS Bernie sound like the aardvark from the old And and the Aardvark cartoon?

24. 25 | February 23, 2020 7:14 am

Ant not And.

26 | February 23, 2020 7:20 am

he does!

29 | February 23, 2020 7:25 am

hmmmm…might get to try some medical grade marijuana….

😉

31 | February 23, 2020 7:50 am

the nuns can teach anyone to read, write, and do math.

believe me!

32 | February 23, 2020 7:52 am

a guy going back to work and engaged does not commit suicide. he was vindicated and a triumphal return…

33 | February 23, 2020 9:04 am

Prayers for you and yours, CW.

34 | February 23, 2020 10:07 am

this case showed up in the law enforcement newsletter yesterday morning, it was the first thing I saw. No one believes this was suicide

35 | February 23, 2020 10:18 am

From Steve King, Congressman from Iowa

Phil Haney was a friend & patriot. He was a target because of all he knew of Islamic terrorist coverups. He insured his life by archiving data that incriminated the highest levels of the Obama administration. Phil Haney didn’t kill himself. RIP, Phil.

36 | February 23, 2020 10:23 am

Also, I’m see tweets from people in Italy that the country is shutting down due to coronavirus quarantine measures. I also saw Georgio Armani cancelled his fashion show, also. I think that was in Milan.

37 | February 23, 2020 10:32 am

Italy suspends Venice’s world-famous Carnival amid coronavirus crisis

38 | February 23, 2020 12:36 pm

Beijing Admits Coronavirus Didn’t Start in Wuhan Food Market – Senator Cotton Tweets Vindication…

The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) now admits to an internal report showing the Coronavirus did not originate from the Huanan food market as they initially stated.

Senator Tom Cotton has previously questioned the origination claim because there is a level-4 biological weapons lab in Wuhan, China, where the Huanan market is located. Tonight Senator Cotton tweets vindication toward his original suspicions:

A new study by Chinese researchers indicates the novel coronavirus may have begun human-to-human transmission in late November from a place other than the Huanan seafood market in Wuhan.

The study published on ChinaXiv, a Chinese open repository for scientific researchers, reveals the new coronavirus was introduced to the seafood market from another location, and then spread rapidly from market to market. The findings were the result of analyses of genome-wide data, sources of infection and the route of spread of 93 samples of the novel coronavirus collected from 12 countries across four continents.

39 | February 23, 2020 12:57 pm

and outlining this exact scenario is what got zerohedge permenantly banned from twitter.

40 | February 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Because the Chinese own Twitter

41 | February 23, 2020 1:59 pm

oh. And here I thought it was the Saudis

42 | February 23, 2020 2:02 pm

The Chinese certainly seem to control Twitter, Google, etc., anyway.

43 | February 23, 2020 2:11 pm

Chris Wallace is aligning himself with Schiff and McRaven. I’m done with Fox

44 | February 23, 2020 2:33 pm

Russia Russia Russia!!!!11ty!

45 | February 23, 2020 2:34 pm

My favorite day. Enough surplus was made last year to pay my CC dues.

46 | February 23, 2020 2:58 pm

I’m spending the afternoon smoking a big slab of ribs and listening to music.

This is exactly how Samantha Fish opened the show in Denver a couple of weeks ago. In fact, she’s even wearing the same outfit:

47 | February 23, 2020 3:01 pm

My favorite day. Enough surplus was made last year to pay my CC dues.

Given the kind of work you do, I’m not sure you guys even have time to talk about it, but I saw a blurb today that said the UK gov’t has been told it is not out of the question that half of the place could come down with coronavirus.

I always look at headlines like this with a “who wants the money” cynicism. OTOH, this does seem to have taken some people by surprise. My common sense tells me that if you live in a place where people don’t defecate in the street, you’re probably ok.

Then I remember. San Francisco. Which has a VIBRANT Chinese community. And a lot of poop on the streets.

Thoughts?

48 | February 23, 2020 3:02 pm

cigar box?

49 | February 23, 2020 3:06 pm

not living in filth and in close proximity to birds and pigs helps greatly.

52 | February 23, 2020 3:10 pm

we need to put an end to this sort of thing.

Yeah, but can’t say I blame them. Their need was life-death. I would have done the same thing.

53 | February 23, 2020 3:15 pm

cigar box?

To start with. She changed guitars about four times in those three songs.

It’s Bulletproof, then Kill or Be Kind, then right into Watch it Die.

54 | February 23, 2020 3:23 pm

we need to put an end to this sort of thing.

we damn near traded our security and health away for what?

55 | February 23, 2020 3:51 pm

Another interesting singer/songwriter/guitarist I recently came across:

That’s Bobby Wallace and Elijah Owings of Ally Venable’s band playing with her in that clip.

56 | February 23, 2020 5:05 pm

your lads are looking pretty good at basin reserve.

They sure are with the bowlers doing the job on the Indians. I was expecting a high scoring game as the outfield at the Basin reserve is lightning fast and the boundaries are fairly close in. Not so!

The Kiwi fatties tied the Indians down frustrated them and forcing them to chance their arm and got out!

Who thunk?

57 | February 23, 2020 5:06 pm

fatties = Fasties

Bloody predictive strikes again!

53. 58 | February 23, 2020 5:10 pm

Best wishes for a total recovery, CW.

54. 59 | February 23, 2020 5:12 pm

…and thanks for unblocking me, whoever unblocked me. It’s been years of wandering in the wilderness. 🙂

60 | February 23, 2020 5:41 pm

@ Octopus:
      you were blocked?

news to me

61 | February 23, 2020 5:47 pm

fatties is funnier.

62 | February 23, 2020 5:50 pm

he’s been grumbling about it over at DoD for awhile

Hey OCTO, great to see you over here.
      don’t be a stranger

63 | February 23, 2020 5:59 pm

someone needs to keep me in the loop…

64 | February 23, 2020 6:06 pm

damn!!!

65 | February 23, 2020 6:15 pm

damn!!!

i almost chocked on this lovely Cabernet.

66 | February 23, 2020 6:21 pm

Thinking about you CW.

Also, on a different topic this place suddenly went low class and downhill.

Hi Octo!

62. CynicalConservative
      67 | February 23, 2020 6:40 pm

someone needs to keep me in the loop…

Being in the loop is highly overrated.

/something

68 | February 23, 2020 6:46 pm

CynicalConservative wrote:

someone needs to keep me in the loop…

Being in the loop is highly overrated.

/something

ooda loops or loop de loops or fruit loops

69 | February 23, 2020 8:10 pm

we damn near traded our security and health away for what

Low prices.

/at least that’s what we citizens traded for. Our political overlords traded for more power and money

70 | February 23, 2020 8:52 pm

Mrs coldwarrior and I watch a lot of Bollywood.

This is brilliant

71 | February 23, 2020 9:10 pm

I think I cracked a rib laughing

The literal translation of the lyrics is:
      This small flame has erupted into a huge fireball
      The shelf of my heart has become filled (with happiness) today
      This black night has become rainbow coloured
      Look how badly we have defeated the enemy…

72 | February 23, 2020 9:12 pm

Mrs coldwarrior loves the Bollywood films. Over the top productions!9

74 | February 23, 2020 9:20 pm

75 | February 23, 2020 9:21 pm

The next few weeks are key, depending on how quickly people in China go back to work.

76 | February 23, 2020 9:22 pm

Mrs coldwarrior and I watch a lot of Bollywood.

Do you know Aishwarya Rai? (sp?). Probably one of the most beautiful women ever born

77 | February 23, 2020 9:25 pm

nah, Trump would NEVER do that.

78 | February 23, 2020 10:35 pm

I forget where I saw this, but somebody had a great idea for Bernie’s VP pick

Angela Davis

That would be so much fun

73. 79 | February 23, 2020 11:15 pm

Sweet Jesus, she’s at least as crazy as Bernie.

I’d actually expect Stacey Abrams.

74. 80 | February 24, 2020 12:32 am

I’ll stealth block him. He’ll never figure it out.